Demographics and the "Requested Dress Code"

dmk

[quote name='lysolqn']Is there a forum I can visit on the web to discuss my decision to ignore the dress code policy at the Ritz, and find support from others to help me justify and validate that decision? Also, if the Ritz' evening dress policy is in effect after 6pm, does that mean 6pm Greenwich Mean Time or can I remain on Eastern Standard Time and dine in jeans, tee shirt and flip-flops since 6pm GMT is only 1pm EST? After all, I'm paying for this night out; shouldn't I be able to choose the time zone of my choice?[/quote]

lysolqn -:D

I suppose, to extend your (teasing) supposition to it's ultimate conclusion... If you're from Hawaii, and you're at The Ritz London, you could dine in your robe and slippers.;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

My husband and I are just about ready to sign up on the April sailing of the Mercury. My husband will not be in a tux, but will still be appropiately dressed for formal night. Does age matter? Probably, we are on a budget, raising three kids and this is OUR vacation. We only get one about every 2-3 years. I understand how the no tux might upset someone, however, I have been around some obnoxious, loud and rude tux wearing gentlemen. Give me a man in a nice suit with proper manners anyday. Just my opinion. Yes, we are in our 40's, so young maybe in your eyes, but well mannered and will be well dressed.

[quote name='CatServants']lysolqn -:D

I suppose, to extend your (teasing) supposition to it's ultimate conclusion... If you're from Hawaii, and you're at The Ritz London, you could dine in your robe and slippers.;)

Happy cruising!

Denise[/QUOTE]

And if I were in the Far East, I would have missed dinner altogether because it would have been over yesterday and the issue of what to wear would be a non-issue, which brings us back to the most important issue of all - I can wear what I want, when I want, wherever I want. It is, as Nonna and Poppa put it so well, my vacation! Besides, would it really ruin your next Celebrity cruise if I decided to dine at the Ritz in jeans and tee shirt?

[quote name='ringmaster']My husband and I are just about ready to sign up on the April sailing of the Mercury. My husband will not be in a tux, but will still be appropiately dressed for formal night. Does age matter? Probably, we are on a budget, raising three kids and this is OUR vacation. We only get one about every 2-3 years. I understand how the no tux might upset someone, however, I have been around some obnoxious, loud and rude tux wearing gentlemen. Give me a man in a nice suit with proper manners anyday. Just my opinion. Yes, we are in our 40's, so young maybe in your eyes, but well mannered and will be well dressed.[/quote]

Your husband will be just fine in his suit. The word "formal" scares a lot of people who have not been on a cruise, but you will see quite a variety of "formal" wear.

Even for women it is not too difficult to dress for formal nights.
Check out what the rentals look like. (Celebrity web site) If you wear a black skirt and a simple shell with some dressy looking ( but inexpensive) earrings you will be fine. Then there's that classic "little black dress".

After Christmas is a great time to shop for a cruise because all the holiday wear is selling at hugely discounted prices. Think simple classic pieces.

On our Princess cruise last year we saw a beautiful family of four dressed as if they were going to the academy awards (and fully expected to win). When told that they would have to sit with other people at a large table they refused and walked out. They really weren't such beautiful people after all. Then a young couple with two children walked in and sat with us. They looked as if they just walked off the Deliverance movie set. The young man wore a plaid jacket with sleeves three inches too short and a tie. His long straggly hair was tied back in a pony tail. He and his family all looked radiant, so thrillled to be there. He completely charmed everyone at our table and later I noticed him happily chatting with everyone on the ship. Staff and guests alike constantly called out to him and greeted him by name wherever he went. And no one criticized his clothes! Attitude is everything.

For those who don't have the opportunity to dress formally on a regular basis, it is fun to play dressup. You can pretend to be rich and beautiful. You can forget that soon you will have to go home and cook for a bunch of screaming kids.

Anyone who resents dressing up so much should simply choose another type of vacation, or at least a more casual ship. You chose this vacation knowing exactly what you were getting into.

Your husband will be just fine in his suit. The word "formal" scares a lot of people who have not been on a cruise, but you will see quite a variety of "formal" wear.

Burm, thank you for your comment, you are most gracious. It does prove that clothes do NOT always make the man or woman...;) ;)

[quote name='Shipyard Cruiser']

And yes, I DO dress for dinner(so does my wife):)[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Some dining rooms get quite cool if you don't....:eek:[/SIZE][/FONT]

I think that the fun part about dressing up on a cruise is that we can all pretend that we are fabulously wealthy. We are all pampered and spoiled, even those in the more modest cabins.

Where else can someone with a lower income sit down to dinner with the wealthy and have a great time discussing the day's activities? On board ship we all have something in common.

It is entertaining to listen to someone brag about their wealth and then next night listen to the sweet old man tell how he saved for 25 years to give his wife this cruise on their 60th anniversary.

[quote name='burm']I think that the fun part about dressing up on a cruise is that we can all pretend that we are fabulously wealthy. We are all pampered and spoiled, even those in the more modest cabins.

Where else can someone with a lower income sit down to dinner with the wealthy and have a great time discussing the day's activities? On board ship we all have something in common.

It is entertaining to listen to someone brag about their wealth and then next night listen to the sweet old man tell how he saved for 25 years to give his wife this cruise on their 60th anniversary.[/quote]

I would not find someone who brags about their wealth a good tablemate no matter how they are dressed.

How loud does money talk on Celebrity?

As loud or quietly as the person prefers.;)

I don't think that story was meant to offend anyone but get your
point.

And I am betting it happens on every cruiseline sometime or another.

[quote name='Shipyard Cruiser']I would not find someone who brags their wealth a good tablemate no matter how they are dressed.

How loud does money talk on Celebrity?[/quote]

Hi Shipyard Cruiser:)

Just to ease your mind...the majority of passengers on Celebrity Cruises are much different than you might expect from reading these message boards.

Most of the passengers we have met on our Celebrity Cruises were down to earth people who were a lot of fun to be with.

I never once heard anyone talk about the way another passenger was dressed during a Celebrity Cruise.

Even though some passengers travel with children, no one ever made them feel as if they should have left their children at home.

Have a wonderful cruise. I am confident that you will have a good time and meet a great group of passengers during your cruise.

[quote name='Sky Sweet']Hi Shipyard Cruiser:)

Just to ease your mind...the majority of passengers on Celebrity Cruises are much different than you might expect from reading these message boards.

Most of the passengers we have met on our Celebrity Cruises were down to earth people who were a lot of fun to be with.

I never once heard anyone talk about the way another passenger was dressed during a Celebrity Cruise.

Even though some passengers travel with children, no one ever made them feel as if they should have left their children at home.

Have a wonderful cruise. I am confident that you will have a good time and meet a great group of passengers during your cruise.[/quote]

I'm sure your correct.

You are the voice of reason..as always:)

[quote name='Shipyard Cruiser']I would not find someone who brags about their wealth a good tablemate no matter how they are dressed.

[/quote]

If you find yourself next to an obnoxious individual, just pretend you are in a movie and he is the villian that you love to hate.

Life would be so boring without it's rich diversity.

[quote name='Nonna and Papa']Please, please don't bring up any more movies or songs. "Puttin on the Ritz" has been going around in my head for two days! :eek: I woke up last night humming the dang thing!:rolleyes:

Gotta stop reading this thread.:p

Mary[/quote]

Mary, you could do a lot worse than "Puttin' on the Ritz". I just heard a country song the other day that went something like "You abandonned because I'm poor - and because I have the misfortune to be married." :D

Then there's my son's rap music......:eek:

The only 'clothing' discussions I've ever heard on board ANY ship were people complimenting one another or occasional whispered expressions of shock as regards the rare Pam Anderson/Paris Hilton style devotee.

We follow the published dress code on X (as well as every other cruise line we've sailed), and we've NEVER 'judged' another pax based upon their clothing.

There are a few fellow pax (from several cruise lines) whom I remember as ....um....jerks, unfit dining companions. But that was because of their behavior, NOT their clothing. Well, except one guy on Disney.

This particular 'gentleman' decided to dress in shorts and a t-shirt (not allowed at dinner in the DR any nite) on formal nite. The rest of his family was dressed nicely, but the only thing I really remember about his family was their embarrassment. I don't think anyone noticed this 'gentleman' and his family at first, then he made his presence felt by the entire DR. I don't know what set him off. I only know that the entire DR was treated to a less than charming display by the 'gentleman' which lated about 15 minutes (~5 sustained, ~10 intermittent). I felt true pity for his family. The 'gentleman' very loudly stated that it was HIS vacation; no one could tell him what to wear; anyone dressed differently than he was an idiot; etc., etc. He was very loud and very obnoxious. But you see, even in this case, I thought the guy was a jerk because of his behavior, NOT because of his clothing!

Nasty (as well as nice) people can be found on every cruise line and every cruise. You can't discern unpleasant people based upon clothing, cabin type, hair color, or shoe size, and, sadly, they refuse to wear little signs that say "Insert your name here, you might NOT enjoy my companionship". I've found X pax (just like X posters) to be friendly, happy people. [B]Shipyard[/B] [B]Cruiser[/B], I'm sure with your intelligence, charm, and humor you'll have your fellow X pax clamoring for your company. Mark my words, you'll come home with more e-mail addresses than you can shake a stick at! I hope your introductory X cruise will be fantastic!:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

My wife and I do follow the tradition on wear clothing that corresponds to the requested attire. But we do not get upset with those who don't either. To be honest no most of our cruises (Celebrity) they're the ones looking around seeing out of place they look. Our beef is that other than dinner there is nothing Formal about a cruise now a days and it seems silly to make people lug along lots of extra clothes for use for about 4 hours in total. I know you're supposed to stay dressed but hey, hardly anybody does. If the cruise lines closed venues to anybody with out proper attire they lose business so I don't expect them too. So, I firmly expect all cruise lines to go fully casual and offering Formal dining, say on the main dining room floors to those who want and expect to carry on the traditions.

Archived