Demographics and the "Requested Dress Code"

dmk

Do you think the age of cruisers influences the way one would decide to wear a jacket or not...a tuxedo or not? It has been mentioned often that "older folks" seem to follow the requested code... while "younger folks" don't.

What do you think?

If so, then we're the exception- we are in our mid twenties. My husband loves to wear his tux on formal nights and usually brings two sports coats for informals so he doesn't have to wear the same thing! I love shopping for formals even though pretty much the only time I can wear them is on a cruise.

How often in today's society do we really have the opportunity to get dressed to the nines? The photos are such special memories for us.

I think that the people who don't dress up are really missing out on the special ambiance and traditions that we get to enjoy.

That's why I put that formal blinkie in my signature- anyone else similarly minded can help themselves if they like!

I don't think that's the case. On our 14 day Summit cruise last month, the oldsters were the ones not following the dress code at all. Even on formal nights, the 65+ set were wearing dockers and plaid shirts on formal night. I don't know if the reason for this was because that cruise was more than 50% Europeans, but the retirees on that cruise was the least dressed up of any of our previous X cruises. But, on our Jan 7 Constellation cruise, that one was by far the most dressed up of any we've been on. At least 45% of the men wore tuxes or dinner jackets, and that's the highest number we've ever encountered, and the average age on that cruise was above 65.

There are many factors that comprise the various opinions about whether or not to follow the dress code while onboard a cruise ship, but age certainly plays a part for the simple reason that each successive generation, at least here in the U.S., recognizes and respects authority less and less. And when authority no longer garners respect, tradition will follow and eventually fall by the wayside. Dress codes on a ship are nothing more than tradition - showing respect for the tradition as well as the ship, the crew and the fellow passengers. The behavior of younger generations, in large part (but I am not making a blanket statement here,) indicates a greater lack of respect for either authority or tradition than the ones before them. We have been living with the me, me, me generation for many years now, with more and more people concerned only about themselves, their wants and needs, and showing little or no concern for their fellow inhabitants of this planet. My father would not have thought to wear anything but a tux on formal night of a cruise, while I would rather stick to a dark suit, and my son would prefer to wear casual wear every day of a cruise. Fortunately, my son was taught to respect tradition and he will forego his own desires in order to stay in line with what is expected. However, he has many friends that would not give a second thought to trying to enter the main dining room in a pair of cutoffs on formal night and get boisterously loud if turned away. This is not an indictment of the entire younger generation; as I stated before, I am not making blanket statements. But this behavior now seems to becoming the norm rather than the exception in today's world. Of course, that is why there are so many cruise lines with different dress codes. Something to please everyone.

I don't know if its a younger vs. older.

From my experience the ones I have seen underdressed the most are the couples with young children. In speaking to a few of them its a money issue, yet they are equipted with cell phones, walkie talkies, expensive strollers, cameras, and camcorders. At home I would guess they have the newest video games, an SUV and a wide screen tv to say the least.

I have also noticed that NEW cruisers that are ill informed by their TA's or just never made it past the "read the rules" class are frequent violaters also.

Then there are the ME people. My cruise I paid for it so I'll do what I want.

We are in our 40's and follow the dress code. We don't find wearing tuxes or ties to be uncomfortable...well, because the clothing fits correctly. However, many of the 'cruise' clothing we have came from JC penny, Ebay, a second hand store orwas bought on sale either at a going out of business or clearance sale.

I get many compliments on my tux. It was 19.95 on ebay and an additional $30 or so in alterations...less than a pai of designer jeans or even LEVIS that most wear. We buy 'classic clothing that will always be in style, not the tredy crap that is over priced and dated the following year.

Much of our shopping is done at end of season at Kohls. Beautiful silk shirts for $10 or so for casual nights, John has a Ralph Lauren navy blazer we got for $40 and linen and light weight wool slacks we paid from $10 to $30 for.

I still believe one of the correlations with dress code violations and other things are cell phones. People have a phone and feel they are the most important person in the world, when in fact they become one of the rudest.

Has anyone ever answered their phone while they were having a conversation with a realperson, and not excused themselves? I've also noticed the many threads about reception on these boards.....WHY? we are on vacation people. Its one thing to keep your phone in your cabin, but to walk around on deck looking for reception really makes you look like an idiot.

Back to the subject.

I've seen older and younger violate the codes...However those who have cruised frequently and understand the concept of tradition and respect rarely violate the codes IMHO.

Dave:eek:

I've lost track of the labels for the different generations! Which age group is the "me" generation again? And then there is the X generation and the Y generation.:confused:

In my family my FIL, who is 83 years old, refuses to wear a suit and tie. My MIL thinks that something she would wear to work is okay on a formal night. I don't think they are in the "me" generation.

The rest of us dress up. My DH does not want to be bothered with the tux but will wear the dark suit and looks just fine. My sons own tuxes and love to wear them. The ladies dress to the nines.

We dress because we enjoy dressing up as part of the cruising experience. The fact that not everyone dresses in no ways hampers our enjoyment of our cruises.

I think some of the older generations valued social conformity more. My great grandmother once commented that when she was young, they had 'styles,' but that now people just do whatever they want. I think she was talking about mens' haircuts.

Thinking back, if you look at annuals from, oh, 30-50 years ago, most all the guys had short hair. Even the women in a given class had a lot of similarity.

Modern culture has moved toward valuing individuality, diversity & tolerance. You might see shaved heads, mohawks, hippie-long hair on guys who look like women at first glance when seen from behind, and many shade in between.

People raised in a generation that predominantly took its fashion cues from the greater society might be expected to follow this pattern again, particularly with an older tradition at issue, compared to some younger people whose motto might be 'I'm okay, you're okay.'

Then again, judging from some posts, maybe some old retirees who've gotten used to not having to answer to other people much feel entitled to cut loose.

It'd make an interesting Sociology research project.

Richard.

Bububr, I'm an Ebay nut, too! I got the most gorgeous silk dinner jacket for DH, and his black tux w/tails (the "Dracula suit") on Ebay for sooooooo cheap, but he looks incredible on formal nights. My favorite gowns were Ebay bargains, too.

I really don't think that dress code observance is linked to any age group. Respect is ageless.:)

Do you think the age of cruisers influences the way one would decide to wear a jacket or not...a tuxedo or not? It has been mentioned often that "older folks" seem to follow the requested code... while "younger folks" don't.

What do you think?

Duh..Yeah.

I think some of the older generations valued social conformity more. My great grandmother once commented that when she was young, they had 'styles,' but that now people just do whatever they want. I think she was talking about mens' haircuts.

Thinking back, if you look at annuals from, oh, 30-50 years ago, most all the guys had short hair. Even the women in a given class had a lot of similarity.

Modern culture has moved toward valuing individuality, diversity & tolerance. You might see shaved heads, mohawks, hippie-long hair on guys who look like women at first glance when seen from behind, and many shade in between.

People raised in a generation that predominantly took its fashion cues from the greater society might be expected to follow this pattern again, particularly with an older tradition at issue, compared to some younger people whose motto might be 'I'm okay, you're okay.'

Then again, judging from some posts, maybe some old retirees who've gotten used to not having to answer to other people much feel entitled to cut loose.

It'd make an interesting Sociology research project.

Richard.

Individuality? You mean like everyone wearing jeans and sneakers everywhere they go? :D

I guess that older folk are more used to following discipline. But on our last two cruises, I did not see anyone not follow the dress code, apart from 5 drunks wearing only shorts in the bar at 8 pm. They were removed.

Removed...... The shorts or the drunks???????

And some parts of every one of those groups deserved it.

Which is why the opening generalization is false. I don't think it is any one demographic that does not wish to dress formally for dinner. It is a little bit of each group that does not conform to the suggested attire on formal nights.

And to that I say so what. :D

I love to dress up and once i am dress stay that way. I find many people show up to dinenr looking good and then change. that bugs me! I feel on formal night peopel should dress or not be seen.

age makes no difference but younger peopel are worse in general. but plenty older peopel look llike they are hiting the market not a dinner.

To stay on Topic here..............after what happened to the last "to jacket or not" thread.

I think the OP was looking for opinions on the Jacket on informal night, and age. And yes, I do think age plays a role. Formal night is just that. Formal. Dress,dark suit or tux. Plain and simple.

But I think informal.... there are alot of choices. A previous thread a poster mentioned afternoon weddings. My son is 26 and I have been attending alot of weddings (his friends) the last year. Not a one did I see a young man in a sports coat. BUT,these young men always look so nice. Maybe a word that helps explain would be "Metro sexual".....(the new description of the fussy man when it comes to his style)... I always said that my son and his friends took longer to get ready for the night then the daughters. The boys were so fussy. Hair, shoes and cloths. ;)

I mentioned in the previous thread, that got shut down, that a jacket on informal night has not been worn by DH. He has gorgeous black very dressy slacks. (fabric is important) There are other very stylish, and up to date alternatives. There are so many varieties of mens dress shirts. Shirts with pleats on the front and very unusual collars, and buttons. (again, its all about the fabric) Now you can go ahead and strike those matches as I say, "the sports jacket, unbuttoned oxford shirt, and slacks, just reminds me too much of MY DAD. Not sexy DH!:D Also, this is my opinion about MY situation and style. All the men in jackets, on informal night look VERY very NICE..and I wouldn't dream of being under dressed in the dining room on any evening. It also bothers me when people change on formal night after dinner.

To the OP.. You asked.:D . LOL;) Now I am putting my fire suit on!

Yes, I think age is a factor. That doesn't mean every younger person ignores the suggested dress code and every older person follows it. But in my experience on several different cruise lines, the older folks are more likely than the younger folk to be following the dress code.

I'm an "older folk" myself. Many in my generation were brought up with the lesson that there are appropriate clothes for school (for girls, dresses or skirts only), appropriate clothes for church (fancier than school clothes), appropriate clothes for visiting Grandma and Grandpa, appropriate clothes for dinner out with our parents, etc, etc. We may not want to go back to the standards of the 1950's, but with those lessons from our childhoods, I think my age group is more accepting of the notion that different situations call for different dress.

Yes, I think age is a factor. That doesn't mean every younger person ignores the suggested dress code and every older person follows it. But in my experience on several different cruise lines, the older folks are more likely than the younger folk to be following the dress code.

I'm an "older folk" myself. Many in my generation were brought up with the lesson that there are appropriate clothes for school (for girls, dresses or skirts only), appropriate clothes for church (fancier than school clothes), appropriate clothes for visiting Grandma and Grandpa, appropriate clothes for dinner out with our parents, etc, etc. We may not want to go back to the standards of the 1950's, but with those lessons from our childhoods, I think my age group is more accepting of the notion that different situations call for different dress.

Don't forget the appropriate cloths for air travel. Don't even get me started on the way people dress to fly:eek: DH and I dress in business attire to travel.

Don't forget the appropriate cloths for air travel. Don't even get me started on the way people dress to fly:eek: DH and I dress in business attire to travel.

I personally do not think age has anything to do with it. My husband gets dressed in a suit almost everyday for work. So he really does not want to have to wear a suit or tux on vacation. (He will on formal nights, but not happily). I on the other hand wear jeans to work, so I enjoy getting dressed up any chance I have.

As far as the comment about travel attire. I just don't get that at all. Why wouldn't you dress as comfortably as humanly possible to sit on a plane for hours and hours (especially when traveling overseas). Maybe it's just me, but I really don't care if people on the plane don't like the way I'm dressed.

Oh well, to each is own. Hope everyone enjoys their cruises.

I watched a special on air safety about a year ago and found the recommendations for attire interesting. For example, you should never wear nylons, skirts or dresses, or open toed shoes. Forget heels....too dangerous.

You should, for safety reasons, wear long pants and closed toed shoes like sneakers. And the clothing should allow you to be flexible in case you need to jump down and shoot and run.

I don't know if its a younger vs. older.

From my experience the ones I have seen underdressed the most are the couples with young children. In speaking to a few of them its a money issue, yet they are equipted with cell phones, walkie talkies, expensive strollers, cameras, and camcorders. At home I would guess they have the newest video games, an SUV and a wide screen tv to say the least.

We are in our early thirties and always follow the dress code. My husband loves to wear his tux. But we have been cruising since we were teenagers. We are also those wretched people who bring our three year old along, but she too always wears her formal wear (and just for good measure she stays out of your germy pools).

Thanks ! I think?

Not sure if you are just taking a poke at me or are being obnoxious.

My answer was based on true experiences, and not conjecture. Mind you that I didn't say ALL young couple with children........

BTW: I have no problem with a potty trained 3 year old in the pool.......

Thanks ! I think?

Not sure if you are just taking a poke at me or are being obnoxious.

My answer was based on true experiences, and not conjecture. Mind you that I didn't say ALL young couple with children........

No, I'm never deliberately obnoxious, just enjoy the sweeping generalizations. :)

Archived