Your cosmetic tips - undereye

zimmerjulie

Hi All,

I am wondering what you real-life experts have to recommend for dark circles under the eye. I tried one "proven", light-reflecting concealer and was embarrased to see that later in the evening I had opaque yellow moon-shapes under my eyes instead.:p

I get plenty of sleep, exercise, all that healthy stuff, but my skin, especially in the wintertime, is very pale and I get dark circles (or half circles). I see products in the department stores that promise to eradicate dark circles, undereye puffiness and any other malady at a mere $100. Oh yeah, and it'll take 6 months to a year before you see results ;) . How convenient. I've tried other products without much luck and don't really want to invest the time or money in something that doesn't work.

Sooo, does anybody have a recommendation for this sort of thing?

Thanks a bunch,

Julie

I have the same problem. I just read in a magazine this week-end that it is the eye creams that cause the puffiness to seem worse because they cause the skin under your eye to retain "more" moisture when you are actually trying to reduce it. They recommend for help with puffiness and dark circles to use an eye gel with caffine in it. They didn't recommend any in the article but I found several last night via the internet when I googled "Eye Gel with Caffine". I wasn't on the internet long enough to read about any of them but it is definetly on my to do list. Good Luck!!

Try an "eye-brightener" instead of a concealer! Trish McEvoy makes a great pencil--it's pink-- and it reflects light, instead of covering up the dark circle! You can order it online at Nordstrom. It's a miracle! I think it costs about $12.00 or so???!!!!

I was watching a makeover show, Ten Years Younger, and the makeup guy(Damone) said apply your foundation including the under eye area, then apply concealer over the foundation. I tried this and it seem to cover my dark circles better.

As an aside, I visited the Clinique counter looking for concealer and the sales associate tried a few products on me without success then sent me to the Lancome counter. No luck there either, she referred me to still another line, so I gave up.:)

Caffeinated eye gel. Interesing! I'll have to check that out!

originally posted by klct39lg

As an aside, I visited the Clinique counter looking for concealer and the sales associate tried a few products on me without success then sent me to the Lancome counter. No luck there either, she referred me to still another line, so I gave up.

Sounds familiar:D

originally posted by cb at sea

Try an "eye-brightener" instead of a concealer! Trish McEvoy makes a great pencil--it's pink-- and it reflects light, instead of covering up the dark circle! You can order it online at Nordstrom. It's a miracle! I think it costs about $12.00 or so???!!!!

I will definitely give it a try! Do you know if they have these in the stores?

Thanks everybody and keep them coming!

:) Ok, I know it sounds insane but my dd does cheer and in the national competitions they all use preperation H (hemmoriod cream or gel) under their eyes, so I tried it and it's like a miracle! it's cheap and you put it on followed by a very small amount of concealer if you wish.

Always put your foundation on first, and apply the concealer on top of it.

Alot of companies hype their very expensive products that will cover dark circles due to stress, age, or lack of sleep, but none of these work on dark circles that are genetic.

I am using MakeUp For Ever concealer now (Sephora). It does not seem to crease on me as much as some of the others have. I have found Clinique and Lancome concealer to be the two very worst ones, although I like many of their other products.

I also use Smashbox undereye brightener below the dark circles and it seems to lighten everything up a bit. An undereye brightener/highlighter is never to be used as a concealer on anyone who has more than a very minimal need for coverage.

:) Ok, I know it sounds insane but my dd does cheer and in the national competitions they all use preperation H (hemmoriod cream or gel) under their eyes, so I tried it and it's like a miracle! it's cheap and you put it on followed by a very small amount of concealer if you wish.

It makes sense that it would help reduce puffiness :o .

Do you find that it effects the dark shadows at all? I guess it would make a smooth base for concealer :D

Thanks FEMH,

I agree about the Lancome concealers & brighteners. My skin is fairly picky and I have found that Lancome is one of the only skin care lines that I can use without problems. I am needing to branch out, though, for a dark circle solution.

Laura Mercier makes an excellent concealer called Secret Concealer. I use #2 and when I first bought it I thought it was WAY dark, but I put it on and it was the most incredible melding into my skin ever! You do have to use a very fine finishing powder over it to set it, but it is really fabulous and you won't have the racoon eye syndrome!

I was watching a makeover show, Ten Years Younger, and the makeup guy(Damone) said apply your foundation including the under eye area, then apply concealer over the foundation. I tried this and it seem to cover my dark circles better.

As an aside, I visited the Clinique counter looking for concealer and the sales associate tried a few products on me without success then sent me to the Lancome counter. No luck there either, she referred me to still another line, so I gave up.:)

Avon has a good eye concealer.

I too have found Make Up Forever concealer is the best one so far. Comes in a set with 5 shades, and I mix 2 Feels good on my face and doesn't cake or settle into the little wrinkles! I also started using Kinerase under eye rescue eye cream, also from Sephora, but expensive. It is the only eye cream I have ever used that has made my dark circles seem lighter, and I have tried plenty! Good luck, hope this helps.....:)

Just found this product and it is remarkable! Attitude line. It was developed in Israel and each product incorporates minerals from the Dead sea. I am very impressed with the Lift up eye gel and the Textured Eye cream. Greatly decreases any eye puffiness and darkening. I buy it at a large mall in our area but I have seen it on line as well.

And one of my best friends has always been Lancome's Porcelaine Effacerne for concealer.

The caffeine products are supposed to work well by reducing congestion beneath the skin.

As a concealer, I like the Stila, which goes on smoothly with it's own little brush. (sold at sephora)

As you age, you lose fat on your face and under your eyes and that loss of fat creates a hollow between your cheekbone and undereye area which unfortunately results in the appearance of undereye darkness because of the shadows created.

As you age, you lose fat on your face and under your eyes and that loss of fat creates a hollow between your cheekbone and undereye area which unfortunately results in the appearance of undereye darkness because of the shadows created.

To bad the losing fat on your face thing doesn't apply to the rest of my body! LOL

Green concealer is supposed tor work well for spots with red undertones. Most people have undereye circles with brown or blue undertones. I use a yellow stick concealer and it works, though sometimes I have difficulty making it look as natural as I would like.

I have very dark genetic circles - so dark that if I go somewhere without makeup people as if I'm ill, like seriously ill. I do not go out without makeup. Not even to walk my dogs or get the mail.

I love these suggestions.

I have heard that a yellow shade of concealer is more effective. Actually there is a theory that those dark circles are caused by tiny capillaries breaking under the very translucent skin under the eyes.Caffeine does help and hence the use of tea bags. Other treatments involve the use of a cream containing Vitamen K which stops the capillary leaks and laser treatments which increases the collagen in the skin around the eyes therefore thickening it. Of course Mom's remedy of rest,good nutrition and fresh air doesn't hurt either!:p

To bad the losing fat on your face thing doesn't apply to the rest of my body! LOL

I hear ya! LOL!!!

Actually, in many face lifts they will also take some fat from the body and then inject it as a filler in the under-eye area that has gotten a "sunk-in" hollow look.

Archived