HAL cruises to Bermuda

Sundagger

Yes, I know that HAL doesn't cruise to Bermuda. But they DO! On another thread, CarolineInToronto asked about suite photos for her charter trip on the Noordam on March 29th. I hadn't seen anything about a charter for that date, so started looking around.

It's an incentive charter for a company called Stampin' Up. And it's going to Bermuda from NYC. This is just before the Noordam's repo to Europe. I'm enclosing a link, which should be OK, since no one here can purchase the cruise:

http://www.morrismeetings.com/reg/stampinup2008/

I've heard that one destination that a lot of HAL cruisers would love to see again is Bermuda. Since HAL can get docking space for a charter, why couldn't they for a scheduled itinerary?

Lots of people want to cruise out of New York and lots want to go to Bermuda - so why leave that route to other lines (some of which are running their old small ships to)???

I've heard that one destination that a lot of HAL cruisers would love to see again is Bermuda. Since HAL can get docking space for a charter, why couldn't they for a scheduled itinerary?

It's simple, they don't wish to! Just like their decision not to do the New York runs any longer. Regardless of their excuses, they just don't wish to deal with it any longer. If they did, they would.

We just got our room assignment for this cruise today and I am wondering which direction the ships dock in Bermuda at the Dockyard. Interested to see if we get sunrise or sunset. If anybody has cruised to Bermuda i would appreciate your help.

When we were there the Costa Magica was docked at the dockyard and it was port side to the dock. However, it is docked almost straight in at a dock that goes out into the harbour.

My first cruise was from New York to Bermuda in '62...on the Ocean Monarch! During College Week.

DH and I have been to Bermuda several times since then, but always by air.

I would love to do another cruise to Bermuda... preferably on HAL. Doesn't seem likely though...unless I do Stampin' Up. LOL...my girls have been to Stampin' Up parties...maybe I can ask them!

Stampin' Up is sort of like scrapbooking...only things made with stamps.

Although it wasn't a HAL cruise from NYC, we did stop at Bermuda on the Noordam in October 2006, as part of a west-bound trans-Atlantic cruise.

We docked at the pier across from the old fort (I forget the name), which I think was on the west end of the island. We had to take a ferry to the touristy, downtown area, which was adjacent to another dock area. There was another cruise ship docked in that area at the time.

We would definitely not be interested in cruising anywhere out of New York, but a departure from Norfolk or Charleston... now that's another story!

Me too! We almost booked the Norweigen Majesty instead of this upcoming HAL cruise because we want to go back to

Bermuda but the better ship won out. I just hated the idea of being on that so-so ship. We still may book that next year though-I WISH HAL would do acrusie from charleston to Bermuda! that would be a much better choice!

Actually, my first cruise to Bermuda was on the S.S. Fort Victoria from NYC on February 17, 1926. I wasn't there "in person" so to speak, but my Grandparents were on their honeymoon on that cruise, so really stretching things out, a very small part of me was there.

The Bermuda government announced last year that they were going to be severely restricting the number of cruise ships docking there, so not sailing there may not be HAL's decision entirely.

My first cruise was on the old Volendam back in 1981. Crusie ships were tiny compared to today's gagantuans. They could easily sail into Hamilton & St George's harbors. The biggest I ever sailed into those harbors was X's Horizon and it seemed like you needed a shoehorn to get through those narrow passages. That ship was only about 45,000 tons. I think The Volendam was about half that size.

Today's ships are much larger and carry far more passengers. They have no choice but to dock out at Kings Wharf. I don't think Bermudians are crazy about having thousands of passengers come for a few hours or even a few days and actually spend very little money on the island. King's Wharf has been a cruise ship port for quite a few years now and they have not done much in the way of development at the Dockyards. I first sailed there maybe 7 or 8 years ago and there are no more shops, restaurants, etc, today than there was then. I think the fact that they have not invested the money for development is an indication that they really don't care whether or not ships come.

Don't get me wrong. I love Bermuda. But they are a very close-knit bunch. I'm in the insurance business and, in case you didn't know it, Bermuda's #1 industry is insurance followed by tourism. I know people that have moved there for very lucrative jobs but came back to the states after a year or two as they did not like living there. Too cliquish, too reserved, too insiderish as well as being very expensive to live there. The high standard of living enjoyed there comes with a price tag.

So I can understand why they don't care for today's megaships dumping 2-3,000 passengers, many of whom head to Horseshoe Beach and probably spend little more than the cab or bus ride it takes to get there.

Having first sailed there 27 years ago on a small ship and just last summer on the Crown Princess with over 3,000 passengers and several times in between, I can see the difference in how we are welcomed as visitors to their island. Everyone from shopkeepers to bus drivers & strangers who would say hello to you on the street used to be very gracious and courteous to cruise ship passengers. Last summer, they seemed almost impatient with us.

NCL seems to be the one cruise line who has garnered their favor. If you want to sail there and don't like the Norwegian Majesty, try the Dawn. It's newer and bigger. You'll have to stay at King's Wharf but you get a few days to explore the island.

Actually, my first cruise to Bermuda was on the S.S. Fort Victoria from NYC on February 17, 1926. I wasn't there "in person" so to speak, but my Grandparents were on their honeymoon on that cruise, so really stretching things out, a very small part of me was there.

BaumD... you might enjoy this then.......... seeing as you were 'almost there'! :rolleyes:

Stephen

QUEEN OF BERMUDA & The Furness Bermuda Line

by Piers Plowman & Stephen Card (me)

Pub: Bda Maritime Museum 2002.

Chapter 6 Sinkings, Fires & Charters

Para 4.

On Wednesday. December 18, 1929 FORT VICTORIA, under the command of Captain A.R. Francis, left the Furness pier in New York at 11 a.m. on a scheduled vouage to Bermuda, with 269 passengers on board, plus a crew of 165. A thick blanket of fog had covered the New York area for the previous two days and FIRST VICTORIA proceeded at slow speed toward the ocean, taking more than four hours to travel less than 20 miles. Nearing Ambrose Lightship at 3.40 p.m., the ship was brought to a complete stop to enable the picked up by a cobble from the pilot boat.

The American coastal liner Algonquin was also outbound from New York for Miami and Galveston. Having left the dock at noon, ALGONQUIN was proceeding at four knots in the heavy fog, with vissibility down to 20 feet. Suddenly those on board FORST VICTORIA saw the bow of ALGONQUIN loom out of the haze, and it crashed into the port side of FORT VICTORIA. A hole seven feet wide was torn amidships on the Furness Liner and water poured in. Fortunately none of the cabins destroyed by the impact were occupied, but the engine room began to flood immediately.

The collision occurred at 3.47 pm. Realising his ship was badly damaged, Captain Francis ordered the lifeboats lowered as quickly as possible. All passengers, along with most of the crew were safely evacuated by 4.50 p.m.. Captain Francis and 12 crew members stayed behind, hoping the ship could be saved. Although holed on the port side, FORT VICTORIA developed a 20-degree list to starboard, and was down by the bow.

Attempts to tow the vessel to safety were prevented as the anchor had been lowered shortly after the collision, and could not be raised. Captain Francis stayed aboard until the end, jumping into the sea as his ship sank beneath him at 7.30 p.m.. He was plucked out of the water by a lifeboaat. None of the pasengers and crew were able to save any of their personal belongings or valyables, so swift was the evacuation of the ship. All of the cargo was lost, and 247 sacks of mail, much of it Christmads cards abd presents. Some of the mail sacks later floated to the surface and were retrieved.

ALGONQUIN was dropped its anchor soon after the collision, and remained on the scene, taking abord passangers from the doomed Furness liner. Amazingly the American liner escaped with only minor bow daamage and was in no danger. Due to te gog, ALGONQUIN remained at anchor until the nest day, then limped back into New York. Meanwhile the port remained closed until the fog cleared, which did not happen until December 19.

As the water was not too deep, FORT VICTORIA lay with most of her port side showing above water at low tide. The wreck was in the middle of a busy shipping land, and posed a serious threat to other vessels. Since the ship was beyond salvage, it was decided it would have to be blown up. Twenty-five tons of dynamite charges were laid around the ship, and a few days after the sinking, the remains of the FORT VICTORIA were blown to bits. A subsequent inquuiry cleared both masters of blame.

The Bermuda government announced last year that they were going to be severely restricting the number of cruise ships docking there, so not sailing there may not be HAL's decision entirely.

My first cruise was on the old Volendam back in 1981. Crusie ships were tiny compared to today's gagantuans. They could easily sail into Hamilton & St George's harbors. The biggest I ever sailed into those harbors was X's Horizon and it seemed like you needed a shoehorn to get through those narrow passages. That ship was only about 45,000 tons. I think The Volendam was about half that size.

Today's ships are much larger and carry far more passengers. They have no choice but to dock out at Kings Wharf. I don't think Bermudians are crazy about having thousands of passengers come for a few hours or even a few days and actually spend very little money on the island. King's Wharf has been a cruise ship port for quite a few years now and they have not done much in the way of development at the Dockyards. I first sailed there maybe 7 or 8 years ago and there are no more shops, restaurants, etc, today than there was then. I think the fact that they have not invested the money for development is an indication that they really don't care whether or not ships come.

Don't get me wrong. I love Bermuda. But they are a very close-knit bunch. I'm in the insurance business and, in case you didn't know it, Bermuda's #1 industry is insurance followed by tourism. I know people that have moved there for very lucrative jobs but came back to the states after a year or two as they did not like living there. Too cliquish, too reserved, too insiderish as well as being very expensive to live there. The high standard of living enjoyed there comes with a price tag.

So I can understand why they don't care for today's megaships dumping 2-3,000 passengers, many of whom head to Horseshoe Beach and probably spend little more than the cab or bus ride it takes to get there.

Having first sailed there 27 years ago on a small ship and just last summer on the Crown Princess with over 3,000 passengers and several times in between, I can see the difference in how we are welcomed as visitors to their island. Everyone from shopkeepers to bus drivers & strangers who would say hello to you on the street used to be very gracious and courteous to cruise ship passengers. Last summer, they seemed almost impatient with us.

NCL seems to be the one cruise line who has garnered their favor. If you want to sail there and don't like the Norwegian Majesty, try the Dawn. It's newer and bigger. You'll have to stay at King's Wharf but you get a few days to explore the island.

Booklady,

You are spot on with your assessment of things on 'De Rock'. The present government leader is also Minister of Tourism and he is very much in bed with NCL. Perhaps they give him a big backhander every year?

Unfortunately today's ships are so much larger than ships of twenty... thirty years ago, the only dock space that can handle them is King's Wharf in Dockyard. Next year there will be no dedicated weekly cruise ships in Hamilton at all! So sad. However, a new wharf is being built in the dockyard, which will handle a second mega ship. I am very much against this. We don't need two monsters in port together. The infrastructure cannot handle it. But hey, if you are government leader and the kickback is big enough, you can make it happen!

Sadly the cost of doing business in Bermuda is much higher than the islands further south. This means higher prices and the majority of passengers who cruise to Bermuda on the mega ships do not have the kind of income to purchase luxury items. As they say...'Cruise passengers arrive in Bermuda with a T-shirt and $10 and they change neither of them!'

Stephen

Hi our first ever cruise to Bermuda was on the Home Lines Oceanic it was for only one day .We had to tender in .The dock yard was still use by i think the British Navy .Home lines was the best cruise line to Bermuda. On our Atlantic Doric and Homeric of 1986 cruises to Bermuda .All stayed in Ham. for the hold cruise !! I like that alot ..Next year no ship will be going to Ham front st .They are closing down to redo the hold area !! We also cruise to Bermuda on the Bermuda star .I think she use to be the old Volendam ,the one you when on .!! When we did the Crown Princess to Bermuda in 06 we stay out at the dock yard .They told us they were going to build another pier out there ..I think thats where all the cruise ship will end up going when all is said and done !!

Mr Veendam

Hi Steven i didn"t realize it was you ? I met you at one of the Worldship NY meeting and on i think on the new Rotterdam when she came to NYC for the first time .Love your painting on the HAL ships .Also Costa ships .I told you i like the ones you did for the Costa Victoria ..We did one of her first Caribbean cruises back in 1997 !! Were you at the 3 Queens in NYC .I know Bill Miller was on the Queen Victoria. I was on the Zephyr with the Ocean inner Museum .

Mr Veendam

Archived