Seasick?

lola4795

What are my chances of actually experiencing seasickness on the Pearl? I really don't want to take any meds if I can avoid them...

I never get carsick. I can go on roller coasters all day long with many back to back rides and not get sick.

Is a ship much different than these scenarios? I'm willing to take Bonine, ginger, or whatever but I would really rather not...

All of the newer NCL ships ride very well, but there is always the chance you may experience rough seas sometime during the trip. We take along seasick cures including Bonine, Sea Bands, and patches. We seldom use them though unless we do run into high seas.

One of my great fears when we started cruising was motion sickness because I do get sick on carnival rides and while riding in a car or bus. It hasn't been much of a problem though.

There is always a chance you might feel seasick, but if you can read on a car journey and are not sick on roller coasters, chances are you will be fine. I am carsick if I am not driving, and cannot do roller coasters at all. I have not yet felt seasick on a cruise, well only barely. I take crystallised ginger for the first few days. Hope that helps.

I've tried ginger pills - didn't work for me - I did get the Bonine nondrowsy - worked great. Take it the night before you get on the ship - keep an eye out for rough seas ahead and pop another asap - once the sea sickness kicks in it's a bit of a pain to overcome. Preventative measures are best if you don't want to be down for a day or so. If you do get seasick keep in mind that it is better to move to an area on the ship (mid ship) don't look at the sea, drink gingerale and try some soda crackers - I got that piece of advise from the consierge on the Sun - wish I had heard it before I tried the ginger pills :D Of course ginger pills work for some people - but I think you also have to start using them a few days before - I waited until I got on the ship. :(

Hi lola4795, Chances are you'll be fine! as stated earlier in rough seas things can change a little:( This advise came from a crew member, (1) try peeling an orange and peel it close to your nose or breath deep as you peel it, breathing in the citris spell from the orange. (2) try eating a green apple.You can stock up on these items @ any buffet. I hpoe these tips help, but I will say you'll be just fine!!

What are my chances of actually experiencing seasickness on the Pearl? I really don't want to take any meds if I can avoid them...

I never get carsick. I can go on roller coasters all day long with many back to back rides and not get sick.

Is a ship much different than these scenarios? I'm willing to take Bonine, ginger, or whatever but I would really rather not...

I am just like, you but sometimes, the ocean is more than I can take. I suggest that you take Bonnine with you, so that if you need it you can take it. If you start feeling the slightest bit queasy take it right then, don't wait until it gets worse or it will be too late, and it might be too late anyway.

I suggest that you take Bonnine with you, so that if you need it you can take it. If you start feeling the slightest bit queasy take it right then, don't wait until it gets worse or it will be too late, and it might be too late anyway.

I agree with zqvol. Some people also use the seasick patch, (Prescription thru your Dr.). I found that they made me feel seasick when I actually wasn't. So I do Bonine as needed.

If you do get seasick keep in mind that it is better to move to an area on the ship (mid ship) don't look at the sea, drink gingerale and try some soda crackers
Also excellent advice from VoyageVirgin. Try pool deck for the fresh air.

I get very sick in cars but didn't get sick on my cruise at all and we had seas rough enough that the crew had trouble walking and the captain told everyone to take something if they had it. If you do start feeling a little sick move outside and look at the horizon. Also, try to stay toward the center of the ship. (This was sailing around cape horn for 14 days on the dream). I wouldn't worry about it. You might end up making yourself sick from thinking about it.

Last year our family took all-natural ginger tablets 2x/day for 4 days prior to sailing. It was a first cruise for 11 y/o and 14 y/o and we didn't know how they would react to the water. We continued the tablets for the first couple of days, then did not feel the need to continue and were fine. You could keep taking them if you thought you needed to. Maybe it was a little bit of mind-over-matter, too. Have a brother-in-law that swears by the ginger. (I think the ginger did help me on our flight.)

Hello, I just returned on the Gem yesterday and the last full day at sea we had some pretty amazing weather and 10' waves and lots of rocking.

I had no problem but many did. I think that if you experiene motion sickness in other places the same would be true of ships. Motion sickness (I think) comes in various strenghts (or weaknesses). Certainly someone who is always car sick will have more trouble even when the ship seems calm.

If you don't experience car sickness no matter what (I can sit sideways in a moving vehicle and read with no affect on me) then my belief is that I will not have any trouble. I had no issues on our full stormy and rocky day, including enjoying every meal.

My first cruise I took some patches in case I had trouble. Three days in, I gave them to someone who would need them. I didn't take any with me this time.

I think that by the sounds of you ability to not only endure but enjoy lots of motion you will likely be fine.

Have a great time, I did!:)

A website showing Atlantic conditions will do you no good at all. The sea can change at any time at all. Predictions are useless.

As an experienced sailor in small yachts, I have to disagree with one of the posters above. Yes - sit midships, but look out at the horizon, that is what keeps your brain in equilibrium. It's sitting in a cabin unable to work out the movement that does you in. Agree about apples, they do work for some. Ginger works for me.

I suffer from motion sickness in cars, busses, and spinning carnival rides. Bonine, taken as directed, works for me.

I have never been seasick on my cruises, because I take Bonine beforehand.

The larger ships have stabilizers, which helps them remain smooth in rough seas.

Barb

it's hard to tell if one will get sea sick or not. I"m an amusement park fanatic and never have issues with getting sick on those ridiculous rides, but I step foot on a cruise ship and i'm sicker than a dog...even the GENTLE rocking will put me over the edge.

I've always used the patches behind the ears. (Transderm Scop).They work GREAT for me. I've had incidences where they fell off during the daytime while snorkeling, I didn't realize it and began to get very queasy after being back on the boat. Pop another patch on and I was fine.

Side effect wise, I get none of them (guess i'm lucky)...but you can get dry mouth and a little blurred vision. Hard to tell if you will get any if all of the side effects. May not hurt to get a prescription from your doc and get them filled just in case. Most prescription insurance companies do not cover them with a co pay...i actually ordered mine from a canadian pharmacy..MUCH CHEAPER...they are over the counter up there, so you don't need a prescription.

The non drowsy formula's out there still can make you sleepy...just the incidence of it happening is a little less than the original Dramamine (which by the way is basically benadryl).

I guess in a nutshell..doesn't hurt to be prepared...take a few different remedies and hopefully 1 will do good for you....good luck!

all the staff tell us the same thing !!!!!!the best thing to do when u have sea sick is to eat apple and soda crakers

we have 15' waves and I was really sick on the gem (last january) ! but the next morning with gravol and soda crakers I was fine !

And if u are really sick after this go see the doctor on the ship ! they know what's the best in this case!

Archived