Post-cruise plans too optomistic?

kathy16

We are planning to cruise Oceania Nautica from NZ-SYD on Jan 22-Feb 6, 2009, spending an extra night in Sydney, then flying to GBR for a couple of days, then flying to Fiji for a couple of days, then flying to be home in Hartford, CT on Feb 13, to be back at work at the hospital by Feb. 14, 2009.

Does this seem doable and enjoyable?

Kathy

We are planning to cruise Oceania Nautica from NZ-SYD on Jan 22-Feb 6, 2009, spending an extra night in Sydney, then flying to GBR for a couple of days, then flying to Fiji for a couple of days, then flying to be home in Hartford, CT on Feb 13, to be back at work at the hospital by Feb. 14, 2009.
It's do-able. But I don't think that it would be enjoyable. Have you ever been to Sydney before? If not, spend all your extra time there. You won't regret it. The itinerary you're thinking about wastes a large proportion of your few extra days in travelling.

One thing you might consider. If your cruise experience is going to be very busy - e.g. doing lots of activities both on and off ship, then spending a few days in Fiji could be a nice transition to home. Otherwise I certainly agree with Globalizer - Sydney and surroundings are awesome and worth time - we spent a week there some years ago and still didn't do all that we wished. Another thought is the time you return home and to work doesn't allow for jet lag. I find going in that direction is quite difficult for me and often the adjustment is longer than going west. In any case, your choices are wonderful and you'll love whatever you choose.

I agree with Globaliser. The other alternative is to spend more time both in Sydney and the GBR and forget about Fiji. It is not worth the extra flights and time to be there for a few days. Our GBR is so much more interesting than being in Fiji. It sounds romantic but you need to go to one of the islands to enjoy the ambience over there and that will mean either flying or taking a boat which will use up more of your time.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

I agree also. Sydney has many beautiful beaches, so I'd recommend you use extra time there to relax.

Otherwise, at the Great Barrier Reef, I would visit Cape Tribulation (where the rainforest meets the ocean). You can day trip to the Great Barrier Reef from there with local boat tours, with less tourists.

Just remember that is our cyclone season, and you could get a lot of rain, which is why the rainforest is so beautiful. It will be hot and humid in North Queensland, and even hotter in Fiji.

Increased security precautions have made short stopovers overseas a thing of the past.

I wouldn't recommend Fiji. It has a precarious political situation. The military holds coups whenever they disagree with the government. Also once you leave the resorts and large hotels it is very very ordinary.

Thanks for your input. I think we will spend a few days in Sydney, then to GBR for a few days before returning home. Which would be the best way to go to the reef- boat trip or spend a few days at a resort on an island- and how to get there?

Kathy

In north Queensland, whether you stay on the mainland or an island resort, you have to take a boat to the Great Barrier Reef.

If you do decide to choose an island resort, make sure it is not too far from the Great Barrier Reef, as it makes for a very long day trip.

There are a number of habited coral islands on the reef, where you can walk out from the beach and snorkel, but they are in central Queensland, such as Heron Island, Lady Musgrave and Lady Elliott Islands.

Which alternative on the GBR would be preferable, when flying from/to SYD with a return back to Hartford CT on the same day we return from GBR area, and how many days should we allot for the GBR excursion considering I have to be back to work on Sat Feb 14. Our cruise ends on Fri Feb 6, 2009, and I wanted to spend a few days in SYD, before the GBR excursion. Do flights to that area only fly on certain days? I appreciate all the helpful responses?

Kathy

We'll be flying to Cairns from Sydney after leaving a cruise ship in March. Do you have a recommendation as to which area we should stay for three days: ie. Port Douglas, Palm Cove, Cairns itself??

We'd like to do a day trip to the GBR, see the rainforest and Cape Tribulation, do the Kuranda trip via skyrail. Any suggestion on which items to accomplish in which order?

The help received on these boards is wonderful. Thanks so much,

Susierailroad,

For 3 days, my preference would be on the beachfront at Port Douglas, as you can do everything you would like to do from there, in a nicer tropical atmosphere than Cairns, which is why it is so popular with international visitors.

Kathy,

As it would be a lot of long travel from Cairns to Sydney (transfer from domestic to international) to CT, you might need to switch your travel plans to GBR first from cruise ship, then Sydney, making sure you spend the last day relaxing. I would split the time half each. There would be daily flights on Qantas and Virgin Blue.

Archived