Drive times Orlando to Fort Lauderdale

ScotFi

Hi

Could somebody advise me on drive times Orlando to Fort Lauderdale. Also best routes. Cruising on Enchantment in September. Staying at Fairfirld Marriot Village in Olando.

Thanks a bunch Scotfi

We have taken this drive several times and it usually take about 3.5 hrs. Of course depends on traffic and weather conditons. But a clear day with not accidents is 3.5. Once on our way back to Orlando we ran into smoke from some fires and that slowed traffic down alot resulting in 5hrs on the road. Better safe than sorry.... We usually try and leave by 9am so we have plenty of spare time and of course so we can start our cruise ASAP!

The turnpike is the way to go, it is a toll road but worth it. There are plenty of rest stop/drink/food along the way also.

Bev

Hi

Could somebody advise me on drive times Orlando to Fort Lauderdale. Also best routes. Cruising on Enchantment in September. Staying at Fairfirld Marriot Village in Olando.

Thanks a bunch Scotfi

Its about 200 miles to I595 (Port Exit). It is a straight shot. Travel time varies by traffic and of course construction and accidents. I drive the stretch from Boca in about 2hours. So from Exit 54 (Ft Lauderdale south) it would be about 2 1/2. But I do drive a little faster than speed limit.

Hi

Thanks for the help. We thought we would leave Orlando around 8am now the rest of the party think 7am would be better. They may be right as we are used to driving on the other side of the road and stick to the speed limit in America. The law man is scary.

We can start our cruise experience early.

Thanks Scotfi:)

Hi

Thanks for the help. We thought we would leave Orlando around 8am now the rest of the party think 7am would be better. They may be right as we are used to driving on the other side of the road and stick to the speed limit in America. The law man is scary.

We can start our cruise experience early.

Thanks Scotfi:)

I agree about the lawman. We drove back from Ft Lauderdale yesterday and my GPS device told me it would take 3.31 hours and that was pretty close to the amount of time it took.

There wasn't much traffic once we got north of West Palm Beach, but from the port to there, it was quite heavy traffic and also lots of lanes of traffic. When we drove down to the port, we stayed in the Ft Lauderdale area overnight, and that took us about the same amount of time because we stopped at a rest area and had a quickie lunch.

My thoughts would be leaving at 8AM, you will run into more traffic than if you left at 7AM. My reasoning is that there will be the people going to the port which will result in quite a bit of traffic. When we left on the 19th, there were 7 cruiseships in port which equates to a lot of people.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Since we live in Sanford which is northeast of Orlando, we run over to I-95 and take it straight down to I-595 which goes straight to the port. Usually takes us about 3.5 hrs. Not a bad drive at all. Have a great cruise. You will absolutely love the Enchantment, it's our favorite!

We drove to Miami from orlando and yes took the turnpike could not believe how fast people go...but it took us 5 hrs but it was a friday and going into Miami at 5pm..

unless your from FLA I would never fly into orlando again and do that drive.

I made this drive in a rental car last spring break and hit horrid, backed-up traffic due to congestion and construction. The drive from MCO to Miami ended up taking about 8 hours in that case, and it was not a fun 8 hours by any stretch of the imagination.

We live in Orlando and take the turn pike....It is MUCH MUCH quicker than driving to I95 on the 528...Since you will be in the Disney area, take the turnpike. We stopped once and got there in 3 hours, and we live close to the Orlando airport.

We drove to Miami from orlando and yes took the turnpike could not believe how fast people go...but it took us 5 hrs but it was a friday and going into Miami at 5pm..

unless your from FLA I would never fly into orlando again and do that drive.

don't forget the Port of Miami, and Port Everglades are about an hour apart on I-95, which hugs the coast, the turnpike is a western corridor for the greater Miami/FTL area before it breaks further west to hit the middle of the state.

OP, every one is about right, 3.5 hours, on the turnpike is a straight shot into FTL going the speed limit and no traffic, it will cost you from $15-$20 in tolls depending on the size of your vehicle, and yes its a boring drive through the orange fields of Florida.

Hi

Thanks a bunch Scotfi

I'm assuming that you're going to the port in FLL? If so, I agree with everyone who says to take the Turnpike, but you'll want to get off at the Ft Pierce exit and get on 95. The turnpike & 95 actually intersect, so it will save you some time having to go east to the port when you get to FLL.

Have fun!

I'm assuming that you're going to the port in FLL? If so, I agree with everyone who says to take the Turnpike, but you'll want to get off at the Ft Pierce exit and get on 95. The turnpike & 95 actually intersect, so it will save you some time having to go east to the port when you get to FLL.

Your right, you know the old Floridian trick to saving a little on the tolls, and being a few miles closer-but for the first time driver I think the less hassle the better.

A while back there was discussion about construction on the turnpike in the Fort Pierce area. Is that still going on and will it be a problem on a Sunday morning? Driving from the northeast Orlando area and we usually go I-95 to Fort Pierce, then cut over to the Turnpike.

Hi

Thanks for all the help so far someone mentioned about easter break and the time it added to the journey. We have been to Orlando the first 2 weeks in Sept 3 years ago. We were suprised that there were few lines at the disney rides. My SIL said this was unusual as she has spent a few holidays in Orlando and at that time there were long lines.

Making the trip to FL port on the 15th of Sept is this a special weekend and will the route likely to be more congested.

Scotfi:)

Archived