Tour companies to use in Jordan?

Tipsy252

I have contacted a few companies re: trips to Petra from Aqaba, but most seem to want to include an overnight at a hotel. Has anyone ever done Petra from Aqaba port? We will be there for 1 and a half days.

Thanks for all replies.

• 5 months later...

Hi, Tipsy252,

I just saw your request and I hope it's not too late. When is your cruise?

I have traveled from Aqaba to Petra AND Wadi Rum on day trips twice. It's a long but very worthwhile trip.

You can read about my most recent trip in Jordan at

http://www.planetsukey.com/PlanetSukey/Aqaba,_Petra_%26_Wadi_Rum,_Jordan_-_May_8,_2008.html

-Sukey-

We were there in 2007. We did a private tour but booked it through our cruise line and used the same tour operator who gave the full day tours. No need for you to stay overnight. This is really easily done in one day.

Spend the day seeing Petra. It's about a ninety minute drive from the Pier to Petra. Then spend several hours there. Definitely have a private guide. You can have lunch nearby there. Be sure to have local currency. I would then spend a few hours the next day exploring the local port.

The lost city of Petra is one of the most memorable places we have visited.

Keith

• 5 months later...

We are stopping in Aquaba for 2 days with the Thomson Red Sea Magic cruise and I'm keen to explore taking a private tour to Petra rather than tha cruise ship's offering which I think is overpriced.

Has anyone done this and can they recommend a tour company?

Hi, Tipsy252,

I just saw your request and I hope it's not too late. When is your cruise?

I have traveled from Aqaba to Petra AND Wadi Rum on day trips twice. It's a long but very worthwhile trip.

You can read about my most recent trip in Jordan at

http://www.planetsukey.com/PlanetSukey/Aqaba,_Petra_%26_Wadi_Rum,_Jordan_-_May_8,_2008.html

-Sukey-

Hi Sukey - I hope that you are still checking these boards. We are leaving for Egypt in the spring and are also doing the Jodan extension. We have been so busy planning for guides and private tours in Cairo, that I haven't given a thought about Jordan until I read your post. I saw your photos and I am going to start checking with your guide. If you can remember what the tours cost for the day I would be very interested in hearing about that. I have read that the prices in Jordan are very high, so I really want to compare prices with tours and then hear what the cc posters are saying. We generally take private tours on all of our trips becasue my husband finds it hard to keep up with 50 passengers on a bus. I just want to be asured that the guide is good and very reliable and I think that you have given me a start. Any other information you have would be helpful.

Thanks

2travelers,

I am just home after cruising on Oceania's beautiful ship Nautica from Singapore to Sydney to Auckland. Thus this reply is a little late.

Please email my guide in Jordan, Radwan Farajat, at rfarajat@hotmail.com

He has started his own tour company now, called Red Rock Tours Jordan. I gather that if he is not available, he will provide you with a good, licensed guide. But try hard to get him personally.

I honestly can't remember what he charged for my solo trip to Petra and Wadi Rum in 2007, or our group of six for the same in 2008. But it was a very fair price or I wouldn't have done it. Be sure to tell him that Sukey sends her regards. (I gain nothing from this, but he likes to know how his clients find him.)

I hope this helps you find a wonderful experience in Jordan. If you are able to ride a donkey at Petra, don't miss the opportunity!

-Sukey-

• 1 month later...
We are stopping in Aquaba for 2 days with the Thomson Red Sea Magic cruise and I'm keen to explore taking a private tour to Petra rather than tha cruise ship's offering which I think is overpriced.

Has anyone done this and can they recommend a tour company?

We have done this cruise before and went to Petra with the ships tour

we realy enjoyed the day and would recommend it

we are joining the ship in Sharm on the 26th so will be on there with you

Archived