Sea Story - Missing Tablemates

cdog7

Just joined, but I have been enjoying the info all of you provide for some time now. I really like the funny/unusual cruising incidents that are shared. A thread a few days ago reminded me of a story about tablemates.

A few cruises ago, DW and I were assigned to a table for ten aboard Navigator. The first night four couples were present. Strangers brought together to share a small part of our lives. By either good fortune or the intuitive genius of the Maitre d' the gathering was an example of Traditional Dining gone right. After introductions, conversation sparkled and mirth prevailed. We bonded. Toward the end of the meal, the waiter brought a anniversary cake. It was intended for the absent couple. The eight of us present enjoyed the added treat.

Nights two and three passed with the original eight of us. We briefly speculated that the absent couple either missed the sailing or made alternative dining plans. They were soon forgotten.

As DW and I strolled into the dining room on evening four I thought I noticed a lone couple at our table. As we got closer, I indignantly remarked to DW "WHO THE DEVIL IS THAT AT OUR TABLE?...AND IN OUR SEATS! The couple at first glance appeared to be aging hippies, a holdover from decades earlier. The lady had very long straight hair. The gentleman wore shades, a baseball cap, amd sported a splendid hair braid that reached to his backside. Of course! This was the belated appearance of the missing couple. Would this development spoil the wonderful dynamics of our new little clique?

Not to worry. They were a delight, if a bit befuddled. The lady explained they were first time cruisers and until that very day they were unaware the ship had a dining room. It was only by accident they 'discovered' the dining room while wandering around. They had thought the WJ was the only major dining venue, and were growing tired of it. Obviously, reading the Compass was not a priority for them. We were truly dumbfounded by their story, but welcomed them to our merry table. Oh yes, they did receive a replacement anniversary cake.

Do you have any tablemate stories to share?

Let's see, only one real experience that was funny (although some might consider me a bit rude at the end).

On a Princess cruise that was to be just short of a month long, ourselves and a couple traveling with us were sat at a table for 8, the two other couples that were sat with us were related by their kids marriage and travel together often. They had mentioned trips to Africa, South America and everywhere. We were looking forward to some lively conversations about places they had been and what they did there. Come to find out, even though they cruised to these places, they normally never left the ship, so they had absolutely no information about any of the ports. We all cruise for different reasons, so I guess they just go for the ship. That was about the end of the lively conversation for almost a month on their end.

Each night, from the first night, the other two couples would order wine and make it loudly known that it was just for the 4 of them and they were not to offer the others at the table (us) any of it. OK, no problem, we would have gladly taken turns purchasing the wine for dinner, but if this is what they were comfortable with, then that's OK to. The conversations at dinner were a bit mute as they seemed to only talk to each other so the couple we were traveling with and us kind of stuck to ourselves conversation wise. We would try to get to know the other 4 but they were so standoffish and rarely left the shp in port so even discussing what anyone had done in port that day was almost impossible.

Towards the end of the voyage, at the past passenger party, I won a nice bottle of champagne. They asked me if I wanted it sent to my room and I agreed.

That night at dinner as we walked up to the table, the other two couples looked at my hands and LOUDLY announced to everyone that could hear. "Where is the bottle of champagne you won? Don't you know you are supposed to share that with the entire table at your next meal?" They were quite miffed that I had not brought the bottle of champagne to the diningroom to share with them. HUH????????????????

OK, I admit it, I was rude on this one after over three weeks of listening to them only talk to each other and share a bottle of wine each evening without ever asking if anyone else would like to join in and take turns. My reply was "Oh, sorry, I had that sent to my suite for a champagne party we are having tomorrow evening and we needed an extra bottle". Since they were not invited, I mean we met tons of great people on the ship, but they were not included in that group. Needless to say, they barely spoke the last few days of the cruise, which wasn't actually a lot different then the first few weeks to be honest.

Rude, not rude? I felt I was justified, but I am sure others will consider that a bit off the wall.

My husband and I had an experience similiar to the first time cruisers except the people were afraid to go into the dining room because they thought the meals were extra....they were buying food on shore and were eating in their room!!! I am sure they had a few words for their TA......

This promises to be a fun thread - thanks for starting it.

Toto - definitely NOT rude!

I don't know if this story is a cruisecritic story or a tablemate story - maybe both. We had a cc roll call meeting at sailaway - nice group of people and good turn out. As folks went along to unpack or whatever, we dwindled down to a smaller group. Those of us left all had anytime dining - someone mentioned why not go to dinner together tonight. That was the first night of a wonderful cruise and we dined together every night. We have kept in touch, had a reunion cruise this past September and plan on more time together. We are from England, Maryland, Virginia and Texas. The internet is wonderful - makes it so easy for us to stay connected.

We had a table similar to yours too Toto. There was a group of 5 at one end of the table for 10. At the other end were Joe and I and a single woman I had met on the roll call who asked to dine with us. The 5 ignored us for 10 days, in spite of our attempts. It was the most miserable cruise dining experiences we've had and a large part of the reason we now do anytime dining whenever we can.

Our first cruise was in '99. We are still in touch with a couple we shared a table with. They live in Tennessee. We have not cruised with them again but have seen them several times. I went to Germany with her last year. That's a success story for traditional dining!

Last year on a 9 day cruise, DH and I were at a table for 6. First night -- just the two of us. So the second night we went to the steakhouse with a couple we met on the flight. Third night, we show up to a full table. One couple from the UK were great fun and we instantly bonded. The other couple was a different story. They were of a very strict religious background which was directly opposite to the rest of our table (pretty serious adult beverage imbibers). The wife announced that she only read the Bible and nothing else.

These poor straight-laced people only showed up about 50% of the time for dinner and the entire time the wife was concerned that the conversation was always slightly off-color. If she only knew that every time her eyes got big and she squirmed in her seat the stories were getting wilder just for her benefit.

The final night of the cruise they didn't even come to the dining room to tell the rest of us good-bye. We were probably very irreverant and slightly impolite, but like bratty children they were just too much fun to take advantage of. DH and I heard some pretty outrageous stories knowing they weren't totally real. Of course DH had to add his own take on some of them. It made for a very enjoyable and hilarious cruise for us, unfortunately at someone else's expense.

Let's see, only one real experience that was funny (although some might consider me a bit rude at the end).

On a Princess cruise that was to be just short of a month long, ourselves and a couple traveling with us were sat at a table for 8, the two other couples that were sat with us were related by their kids marriage and travel together often. They had mentioned trips to Africa, South America and everywhere. We were looking forward to some lively conversations about places they had been and what they did there. Come to find out, even though they cruised to these places, they normally never left the ship, so they had absolutely no information about any of the ports. We all cruise for different reasons, so I guess they just go for the ship. That was about the end of the lively conversation for almost a month on their end.

Each night, from the first night, the other two couples would order wine and make it loudly known that it was just for the 4 of them and they were not to offer the others at the table (us) any of it. OK, no problem, we would have gladly taken turns purchasing the wine for dinner, but if this is what they were comfortable with, then that's OK to. The conversations at dinner were a bit mute as they seemed to only talk to each other so the couple we were traveling with and us kind of stuck to ourselves conversation wise. We would try to get to know the other 4 but they were so standoffish and rarely left the shp in port so even discussing what anyone had done in port that day was almost impossible.

Towards the end of the voyage, at the past passenger party, I won a nice bottle of champagne. They asked me if I wanted it sent to my room and I agreed.

That night at dinner as we walked up to the table, the other two couples looked at my hands and LOUDLY announced to everyone that could hear. "Where is the bottle of champagne you won? Don't you know you are supposed to share that with the entire table at your next meal?" They were quite miffed that I had not brought the bottle of champagne to the diningroom to share with them. HUH????????????????

OK, I admit it, I was rude on this one after over three weeks of listening to them only talk to each other and share a bottle of wine each evening without ever asking if anyone else would like to join in and take turns. My reply was "Oh, sorry, I had that sent to my suite for a champagne party we are having tomorrow evening and we needed an extra bottle". Since they were not invited, I mean we met tons of great people on the ship, but they were not included in that group. Needless to say, they barely spoke the last few days of the cruise, which wasn't actually a lot different then the first few weeks to be honest.

Rude, not rude? I felt I was justified, but I am sure others will consider that a bit off the wall.

They were the rude guys at your table .You don't join a large table eight to behave like a table of 4....if you wont to be private you sit on a table of 2 or 4.What a nerve to ask to share your champagne........that was also ill mannnered of them,:eek:

I have told this dining room story before ...but for thoie that have not 'Googled':D

One night on Sun Princess I went down to dinner......all places were filled with complete strangers!!!!!!!!

i announced 'Whats going on'...........The maitre'd rushed over...'.Ms Kruisey you are in the wrong dining room'

The setup in both is the same.:o :o

I have two stories, one about tablemates (it's not really funny but rather "don't judge the book by it's cover"), the other about meeting a fellow CC member who will be a lifelong friend.

Not quite three years ago, we were on the "old" Royal Princess for a 21-day cruise from Manaus to Rome. The first night was open seating since people were still arriving and getting settled after the charter flight(s). The second night, we went to "our" table for 10 and sat down. (We were three: my sister, brother-in-law and myself) An elderly British lady traveling by herself joined us; then a Philippino couple living in the U.S.; and then a very odd-looking couple who I'd noticed walking around the ship because they were hard to forget. The last two never showed so it was just us eight for the cruise. After the first awkward moments, we all started talking and from that night on, we had wonderful discussions about education around the world, politics, travel, knitting and needlepoint, gardening, kitchen remodeling -- there didn't seem to be a subject we couldn't have a great discussion about. We were the table that were the last to leave because we were always so deep in our subjects or laughing so much that we forgot our food. The British lady was a delight with a wonderful sense of humor, the Philippino turned out to live within five miles of my sister and BIL, and the "odd" couple were among the most fascinating people I've met. He was originally from Sri Lanka and had been a professor of medicine at a major Canadian university; her family was from Russia and she was the Dean of Admissions at the university.

There's something about the "old" Royal Princess that will be very special to me. While preparing for this cruise, I'd been on the roll call and one of the other people was a lady who lived about an hour away from me. We decided to get together for dinner before the cruise and the rest, as they say, is history. We totally clicked, wound up talking for hours every sea day, and found that we have so much in common, our thoughts run so much in parallel (even to ordering the same thing every time we go to a restaurant), that we've become the best of friends. We've now taken two major trips together (we each like our space so we take single cabins; perhaps that's why we get along so well) and will be on the 31-day Sapphire in April, not to mention another 28-day cruise in October, not to mention another 21-day cruise a year from now. There are so many things we want to see and do that I'll mention a trip and she'll say, "I'm there" and she'll mention a trip and I'll say, "When do we leave?" We are so very thankful for CC and that we met each other. It's a friendship that will stand the test of time. :)

We were seated at a large table for 8 and it was a good thing. One "gentleman" was an embarrassment to the entire table and his poor wife didn't say two words the whole trip. He would handle all the rolls before picking one to the point where the server gave him his own bread basket. Then he would butter his bread and put the excess butter back into the main butter server instead of on his own bread plate. Then he would drink his soup from the bowl and not use a spoon. All during this spectacular show of bad manners, he would brag about how much stock he owned and how much money he made that day! Just goes to show you that money doesn't by class.

Our last cruise we requested a large table but to our surprise we had a table for 4. The first night our companions did not show up so no big deal, we enjoyed a dinner for 2. Next night, same thing, no show. 3rd night we sat down and suddenly our table mates decided to join us. They proceeded to sit down and and acted as if we were not even at the table, they ignored us and said NOTHING!!!! We tried to make conversation, introduced ourselves, but apparently they were fighting. I leaned over to my DH and said "I'd rather they hadn't showed up at all." It was the most uncomfortable time I have experienced. After a while we just started to talk and they warmed up a bit but that was after they snapped back and forth at each other. Can you believe it. Fighting while on a cruise, I wouldn't dream of ruining my cruise with a fight, or worse yet ruining someone else's time, I'd just save it for when we got home.

is it Common to buy wine for the table?

I think it is up to the individual. I have been at tables where people bought wine for the 4 of them that were together and I have been at tables where someone bought it and shared with anyone that wanted some. Sometimes I will pass on wine going around the table sometimes I don't. It is my decision as to whether I want to share or not. I feel no compulsion to share just because someone else has shared. Other times I have been the only one to order wine and share it with those that wanted some. I get a sense of my table mates, we usually try to get a table of 8-10 people and we like to change seats over the course of a cruise so you sit by different people. If I like most the people at the table I may buy wine and share it; if I only like another 1 or 2 couples we may invite them for drinks before or after dinner and not have wine at the dinner table.

..........Do you have any tablemate stories to share?

My wife and I were booked at a table for eight. The ship we were on only had early and late traditional dining (no anytime). The first night we arrived and waited for half and hour for our table mates to appear, and finally gave up and went ahead and ordered. Our waiter had no idea what happened to them.

The next evening our waiter said they would be there and were bringing a guest. So he squeezed and additional chair and place setting (which really cramped the table). We waited another half hour.....Again no show.

I was so mad I asked for the matre'd. I explained the situation and told him if these people ever show up I have no desire to dine with them. I asked that we be reassigned to another table. He accommodated us and we moved to a table for 10 and had a delightful time with our new found friends. We never did find out what happened to our no shows.

But if the poster by the name of Toto lives mid-west USA. Enjoy livestock? Goes by the name of Sue but pardon me but quite a while ago and never caught the last name. It may come of a shock to you but I am the DH of that couple if the above is the case.

My apologies if we seemed cheap and insensitive. If you had a chance to know my DW better you would totally understand why I needed as much wine as possible and not share. My bar bill poolside was huge and thank god we were able to smuggle great amounts of liquor in each port.

If by any chance you still have that bottle of bubbly we will be on the Emerald and can a fedex delivery be to much to Lauderdale embarkation please.

If feasable I can post cabin number to assist in delivery. While enjoying it I promise to think of you with the cool breezes roaring across the plains with possible freezing rain and snow in the forecast.

You sure you won't sail on the Grand with me?;)

I really do not know. But enough bottles for 8-10 people could get expensive. Some of them there bottles even have corks. Is "MadDog" (Mogen David) OK? We just politely pass if someone offers to share a bottle and order a glass apiece. I guess some people might think this is being anti-social but the bar bill for the two of us is high enough already.

They weren't missing but...these stories reminded me of them.

The funniest couple for me was an older couple. Sweet people. One night we noticed him stuffing a Cornish hen into his pocket. He looked guilty at having been discovered but told us that he gets hungry late at night. We explained to him that all the food on board was free. He was very relieved. He thought it was the 3 squares a day and that was it. Then a few nights later, on formal night, we saw him entering the restaurant in his wild Hawaiian shirt. We told him that it formal night and a jacket was required, so he went back to his cabin and put on his jacket and tie over the Hawaiian shirt.

On our first cruise ever (RCCL Majesty in the 90's) DW and I went to the Dining Room on the first night not really knowing what to expect. We had a table for 6.We arrived to find two seats occupied by a (clearly over protective) Mom and her 40ish (going on 15) year old son ! I am sure they were nice people but not great conversationalists. We were mid 30's and on our first solo vacation without the kids. Needless to say we did not have a lot in common and worried about sharing the table for the rest of the cruise. Suddenly the missing couple from our table showed up. They were from Australia and we hit it off immediately. We had an absolute blast together. We even changed up our excursion plans so we could go exploring together. We rented a Jeep in Cozumel and had an awesome time . The DW of the Australian couple and my DW were instantly bonded and had a good cry together at disembarkation. We unfortunately have not been able to meet since although we still occasionally share an e-mail and a phone call. We are from Upstate NY and they are in Queensland Australia so it's not to easy to drop in for coffee (although they did generously invite us to stay with them in Australia). I thought it was very sweet that they called us on 9/11 worried to death about what happened and to see if we were OK. We may never have another opportunity to meet but they will always be one of our fondest cruise memories.

Several decades ago in my former life my then spouse and I took a Med cruise on the Jason out of Athens. The Jason was a small ship, if I remember correctly carrying no more that 400 or so passengers. There was one small dining room and we had the late seating. We were seated at a six person table with a couple from England and another couple from Toronto. We hit it off immediately. On day three of the cruise we convinced a couple from Australia that we had met on our tour to Istanbul to join us for dinner. We had our waiter squeeze in two more chairs and we became a table of 8. The conversation was always lively and entertaining. Barbara and Laurie, the couple from England, were the youngest of the group and were hysterical. They alone could keep us all in stiches for an entire meal. It was from them I learned “the pointy and blunt end of the ship” phrase which I still use today to navigate a ship. We always lingered way too long after each meal just enjoying each others company. Since the wait staff had to set up the tables for the following mornings breakfast several times our waiter (a gem of a fellow) had to wait around for us to leave to reset our table. To his credit he never complained. On the last night of the cruise no one wanted to leave the table and after extending our stay way too long our waiter finally showed up with bowls of cereal and announced since we were obviously never going to leave we might as well start on our next meal. For many years thereafter we all communicated via mail (yep this was way before the internet age) and only when kids, divorces, job changes, moving etc complicated life did we loose contact. I will always remember them all fondly.

Oh my...now I am feeling a little embarrassed. It did not occur to me to share our wine with the table. :eek: On many cruises my DD and I would each order a glass of wine with dinner. Then, several cruises ago the wine steward explained that we did not need to do that - we could select a bottle of wine and have glasses from it each night - she would hold it for us. Silly us...we didn't know. So we've been doing that. I certainly hope our tablemates didn't think we were rude. Come to think of it, I don't think our last group anyone they drank wine at all. Thank goodness! :D

On Mariner of the Seas we had a large table for 8. The first night we were aware we were older than the other three couples, two of whom were together. But it seemed to be ok. We cruise a lot, and have had good and not-so-good dining companions. The next night we arrived, and there was no one at our table. No big alarm bells or concern on our part. But there should have been. Our waiter very nervously would not welcome and seat us....asking us to stand and wait for the head waiter. She arrived and explained loudly for all nearby to hear that the young couples did not want us at their table, that they had met another couple they wanted instead. And they had actually gotten the head waiter to agree to boot us out of our spot without permission or pre-warning. He paraded us through the dining room and stuck us in the back at an empty table for six. The head waiter on that level must have seen my distress because he came up to us and told us he would fix things....and the next day we had a beautiful written invitation to a wonderful table near the windows with wonderful people. It turned out ok......but it was traumatic....like bullies on the playground who won't share. Shame on the head waiter who allowed it to happen in the first place, and barring the good sense not to give into these selfish children, did not notify us about the situation so we could have agreed to a switch discreetly. It was awful to be held up for public display. And RCL felt that nothing wrong had occurred. Needless to say we have found more amiable lines to cruise with.

Our experience is that if a couple opts for the wine......they drink from the bottle and what is left over is saved by the waiter for the next evening.

We don't buy wine for the table unless everyone discusses it and agrees to do it. The problem with bottles for the table is that you have to drink what the other people like.......and maybe it is more expensive than your taste. If you order your own bottle you can drink what you like....or want to afford....:)

Archived