Flying in the day before

I know most of you recommend flying in the day before, but what about leaving the same day the cruise comes in. We sail sat-sat and if we stay over when returning the flights are more $$ for Sunday. Really can't be away two more days, so guess we will have to return Saturday night. Is San Juan airport really bad on Saturdays??

Also, question for non stop flights. We would like non stop from either Cinci or Columbus, OH and cannot find any airlines that flies non stop to San Juan. Has anyone found a non stop from OHio to san Jaun, what airline??

We usually fly home the same day as disembarkation. Just make sure your flight isn't too early. A friend of ours had a 3pm flight home (which i thought would be plenty late enough) but they missed it due to delayed disembarkation.

We usually select a flight time between 1pm-3'ish and we've been ok... but... we know we're taking a bit of a chance and it might bite us one day.

I'm more concerned about getting there in time, not so much coming home..

Although I've never done the San Juan port route, I want to get home ASAP after a cruise. I don't mind going a day early, but when it's over, it's home-time!!! If it's more expensive to fly out on Sunday, then book a mid-afternoon flight on Sat! That shouldn't leave you with too much "hanging around" time.

Sorry--can't help with the non-stop flights--I doubt there are many!

I know most of you recommend flying in the day before, but what about leaving the same day the cruise comes in. We sail sat-sat and if we stay over when returning the flights are more $$ for Sunday. Really can't be away two more days, so guess we will have to return Saturday night. Is San Juan airport really bad on Saturdays??

Also, question for non stop flights. We would like non stop from either Cinci or Columbus, OH and cannot find any airlines that flies non stop to San Juan. Has anyone found a non stop from OHio to san Jaun, what airline??

There is definitely nothing nonstop from Columbus.

If you can drive to Cleveland, Continental has #1412 non-stop to SJU

and #1512 return. The times look good.

I would definitely go in the day before- I don't want to miss the cruise because of flight delays, they are so common now.

Coming home- as long as it's a reasonable time I don't care as much....it's over!:eek:

We sailed on the Serenade in November. We were at SJU at about 9:30 am on Saturday after we disembarked. We had a 12:00 flight and were wishing for something earlier. I guess things can happen and you could be delayed, but that's how it worked out for us.:)

We flew in and out of San Juan May of 06 after our Carnival cruise to the southern Caribbean and had no problem making a same day as disembarking 1:30PM flight back to JFK via American on a Sunday. Airport is crowded but manageable.

We sailed on the Serenade in November. We were at SJU at about 9:30 am on Saturday after we disembarked. We had a 12:00 flight and were wishing for something earlier. I guess things can happen and you could be delayed, but that's how it worked out for us.:)

I am sure some of the Voyager folks this past Sunday whish their flights were not so early...they would have been fine if it had not been for the fog off Galveston and in port for that matter, but fog happens...

I'd book mid afternoon, and depending on where you are going if you make it to the airport you may be able to move to an earlier flight home without any financial penalty, but show up late for your flight you may end up paying more to get home.

Out of MIA each time we made it on earlier flights no problem and no extra cost, but booked noon time flights just in case.

Bill, was hoping you would be on, but was hoping for a better answer! I thought maybe I just missed the non stop from Columbus.

As for Cleveland, it would be about 4 hours, probably not worth it, but will check out. Just depends on how good of deal.

We could also do Detroit, (only three hrs away) but the no stop flights are high and not very good times.

Bill, was hoping you would be on, but was hoping for a better answer! I thought maybe I just missed the non stop from Columbus.

As for Cleveland, it would be about 4 hours, probably not worth it, but will check out. Just depends on how good of deal.

We could also do Detroit, (only three hrs away) but the no stop flights are high and not very good times.

Cleveland wouldn't be bad for me, we are considering a cruise out of St Juan for our 5th or 6th cruise.

Bill,

Have you done Columbus to San Juan?? Just wondering what a good price is??? Right now I can do Cinci to San Juan for $326. I am thinking this may be the best I'm going to find and may want to jump on it before they go up.

What has anyone else paid????

We booked the Contiental flights last year from Cleveland. Then it was canceled and we had stops in Newark. Called and they said if the flight isn't going well, (filling the seats) they do away with it and take it through Newark to have a full plane. Just wanted you aware that this could happen. It was fine for us as we went 3 days prior to our cruise. We had the 1:00 flight home and had plenty of time. Had to play cards in the SJ airport we were so early!! Good Luck!

Bill,

Have you done Columbus to San Juan?? Just wondering what a good price is??? Right now I can do Cinci to San Juan for $326. I am thinking this may be the best I'm going to find and may want to jump on it before they go up.

What has anyone else paid????

That price sounds good to me.

I have been checking SDF (Louisville) to SJU and that is much cheaper- it would be worth my while to drive up to CVG for the savings on 3 tickets if the flights are convenient.

Which airline is that?

Emedia,

It is on US Airways, I don't know if I've ever flown with them.

The flight is for friday 6:15 AM - 2:26, returning sat 3:40 - 11 PM for $326.

If we wait and return on Sunday, it goes to $356

That sounds great. I'll check it out. I flew with US Air twice this year and service was good.

:)

For the fare I got out of Cincinnati via Delta Airlines to San Juan on November 28th which is the Friday after Thanksgiving I can hardly believe my fare price of $328 per person to San Juan from Cincy. We are laid over in Atlanta but for this fare price I cannot complain of the brief time in Atlanta. Having had a career of traveling for my work across the country and sometimes overseas to Europe I could think of many really bad airports to be stuck in and Atlanta is such a nice airport with shopping and restaurants to occupy the time between connections. Remember, San Juan is a pretty good distance from Ohio.

Hope your week is going well!

CincinnatiGal (any questions write me direct jhomsher@fuse.net)

Serenade of the Seas --- Southern Caribbean 11-29-08

Coral Princess May 21, 2007 NB ALASKA

Navigator of the Seas -- Halloween Cruise to Western Caribbean

Mississippi Queen and Delta Queen - Numerous Ohio River cruises

Check out http://www.kayak.com.

Emedia,

It is on US Airways, I don't know if I've ever flown with them.

The flight is for friday 6:15 AM - 2:26, returning sat 3:40 - 11 PM for $326.

If we wait and return on Sunday, it goes to $356

I am looking at the end of July, it is $586 then!!

Oh well I'll keep looking...:)

WE just got back from SJ we had a flight that left SJ at 11:00 am. There was another cruise ship in port that was also disembarking at the same time. The trick is to use express luggage where you keep your suitcase and just carry them off yourself. You can get a taxi right out side of the cruise terminal for $20 plus a $1.00 for 2 large bags and get to the airport in about 15 minutes. Extremely easy!!! I don't like to depend on someone else to get me to the airport. Be sure to leave yourself plenty of time to go through security and stuff. We also used express self check in at the curb. If you use a taxi you don't have to wait for the bus to fill up with passengers and then unload at each stop. Plus your luggage is with you.

I was looking at Sun Juan flights from Cincy, Columbus and Indy for Oct 2008 just this morning. I was really hoping for non stop flights but was not able to find any. I could book a stop in Atlanta from Cincy for $280. Great price but I hate all the take-offs and landings.

Good Luck!

Archived