Voyager comes to the rescue of Carnival couple!

On our first (and only, soon to change) cruise, we were on Mariner with Captain Per. One morning we woke up and looked at the map on TV and realized we had doubled back in an odd pattern. Capt Per announced shortly there after that we had returned to answer a dristess call. There was a fishing boat that had been dead in the water for about 2 days ( I think) and we were the only people to answer. Captain Per turned the ship back, gave him the 6 gallons of gas we had and called the fisherman's grandmother back (I think in Cuba) to let her know they were okay and on their way home. Kudo's to him and shame on all the other ships that HAD to have heard and passed without helping.

Erika

I was on that cruise!

We were on the Empress OTS last week, two people missed the ship in Antigua---fortunately the Explorer OTS was still in port, and picked them up and met the Empress in Barbados!! Weren't they lucky?? I can't imagine the feeling of getting back to port and not seeing your ship there! Wonder if they were taught a lesson..

Helen

I will continue to travel Carnival as well as RC. Both lines have great service and seriously if you want to avoid being left behind I suggest you get back to the ship on time!! :eek: Drives me crazy that people are taking the opportunity to bash Carnival.

I don't sail Carnival but I agree with you. There's no need to bash Carnival. This is exactly why the Carnival boards can't stand the people on the RCI boards. Nothing wrong with having a negative opinion, based on experience, but no need to be so nasty about it.

I don't sail Carnival but I agree with you. There's no need to bash Carnival. This is exactly why the Carnival boards can't stand the people on the RCI boards. Nothing wrong with having a negative opinion, based on experience, but no need to be so nasty about it.

This is not meant as a bash but if it comes out that way I apologize. I am certain that if the roles were reversed in this case and CCL had come to the aid of a RCCL passenger the same type of comments would have been made by the CCL folk. There is plenty of bashing in both directions so it is definitely not one sided.:D

I will continue to travel Carnival as well as RC. Both lines have great service and seriously if you want to avoid being left behind I suggest you get back to the ship on time!! :eek: Drives me crazy that people are taking the opportunity to bash Carnival.

Agree totally!!

Both cruise lines are equal to me and I like them both and I get a kick out of people and their posts that put other lines down! If only they realized how juvenile they sound.

This kind act by the RCCL captain only reinforces the mindset of people who think the whole world has to wait on them!

This is not meant as a bash but if it comes out that way I apologize. I am certain that if the roles were reversed in this case and CCL had come to the aid of a RCCL passenger the same type of comments would have been made by the CCL folk. There is plenty of bashing in both directions so it is definitely not one sided.:D

You're right, I know, but I read both boards and I do tend to see more nastiness here than there. But, that's just MHO.

I was on the Voyager that sailing when we picked up the Carnival folks. Captain Gerry came on the loud speaker as we left for Cozumel and welcomed aboard our newest passengers from the Carnival. He stated that they would be with us on the way to Cozumel.

We recently sailed on the Voyager with Captain Gerry and I an attest to the fact that he is a fine gentleman and officer. We had the pleasure of meeting him and talking with him for about 20 minutes. The seas need more captains like him who look out for everyone's welfare, not only those who bought a ticket from RCL.

I would be extremely grateful to the Voyager captain and agree that Carnival should have waited, but we don't know the circumstances. True, it seems like they could have waited another few minutes, but maybe there were other factors involved. The Voyager captain does deserve much praise and it was a very good PR move.

Thanks to those who defend Carnival. I have a few friends who have sailed both and they tell me that they are comparable. I would be MORE than happy to sail RCI... but I can't. As soon as they bring short cruises to New Orleans, I'll be the first to book. Unfortunately, they don't even have 7 days from there anymore. Such a shame since N.O. is a great port.

It's in the eye of the beholder. Don't distract from a dumb move made by a captain of your beloved cruise line.

The "dumb" move by the Carnival captain is the same "dumb" move that captains of every cruise line make when the passengers are running late.

If you think for a moment that Royal Caribbean has never left anybody behind for being late, you are not thinking straight (ask some of my friends who were on the Mariner of the Seas not too long ago and had to pay their way to St Thomas to meet the ship there)

The issue here is that someone decided to use this token of goodwill and turn it into a "let's bash another cruise line that I have probably never sailed on" post.

The captain's actions of the RCL ship should be commended, but not at the expense of bashing someone else.

A few months ago, When the Carnival Triumph's captain decided to turn the ship around and pick up some rafters in the Florida Keys straits people commended his actions, but nobody turned it into a "my captain is better than yours" or "that's expected from a Carnival captain but not a Royal Caribbean captain" kind of post. That would've been just as dumb and stupid as the comment that was made here

I've had the wonderful experience of sailing on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival both (along with many other cruise lines) so that's why I objectively believe that the comment was dumb.

Here's a fun idea...

When two or more ships regularly share consecutive ports of call, they could take turns as the "designated straggler pickup"... with one of the ships maybe hanging around a few extra minutes.

This could never be done in reality, imagine the logistics nightmare if it ever got out that this was the plan, they'd have to bunk all the extra stragglers in the lounges or the infirmary...

Just a funny thought... :)

Theron

I would be extremely grateful to the Voyager captain and agree that Carnival should have waited, but we don't know the circumstances. True, it seems like they could have waited another few minutes, but maybe there were other factors involved. The Voyager captain does deserve much praise and it was a very good PR move.

Thanks to those who defend Carnival. I have a few friends who have sailed both and they tell me that they are comparable. I would be MORE than happy to sail RCI... but I can't. As soon as they bring short cruises to New Orleans, I'll be the first to book. Unfortunately, they don't even have 7 days from there anymore. Such a shame since N.O. is a great port.

Give it time. I'm like you - I would love to see more cruises out of New Orleans. N'awlins is still recovering. Once she comes back as her grand ole beautiful self we will be seeing bigger, newer and more beautiful cruise ships making the Port of New Orleans their home once again.

I've sailed on the Norwegian Sun in 2007, out of New Orleans on a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise. Even though the SUN is a smaller, older ship we still had a wonderful time. Have you ever considered sailing on the SUN?

Well I don't consider myself a "Carnival cheerleader" as much as a "cruise cheerleader".....but Carnival was my first cruise which I think holds a special place in my heart. I know some of the comments are meant to be funny. I do think it was nice of Capt. Gerry to collect the passengers, but I wonder how the paying passengers of the Voyager felt about to late comers getting to stay on their ship a night for free?? I know I would be mad, this is the most expensive trip I will be taking on the Voyager in March. :o

Agree totally!!

Both cruise lines are equal to me and I like them both and I get a kick out of people and their posts that put other lines down! If only they realized how juvenile they sound.

This kind act by the RCCL captain only reinforces the mindset of people who think the whole world has to wait on them!

I looked over on the Carnival board but I didn't see anything. Though this probably wouldn't be appreciated over there. ;):D

Sue, you are very wrong in your assumption.

It is posted on the Carnival board and the people over there are saying the same things people over here are. It was a terrific thing for the Captain of the RCCL ship to do. I just wish it wouldn't be tarnished with comments and remarks like yours.

Why does there always have to be friction between the boards?

I love cruising and I love it on any cruise line I am on.

Hope you have a wonderful day.

Well I don't consider myself a "Carnival cheerleader" as much as a "cruise cheerleader".....but Carnival was my first cruise which I think holds a special place in my heart. I know some of the comments are meant to be funny. I do think it was nice of Capt. Gerry to collect the passengers, but I wonder how the paying passengers of the Voyager felt about to late comers getting to stay on their ship a night for free?? I know I would be mad, this is the most expensive trip I will be taking on the Voyager in March. :o

I know I wouldn't care, they would be taking nothing away from my experience. There is plenty of people on every cruise that paid less then me and plenty that are on there for free, whether through a company contest (our tablemates), family trip, etc.

I have only been on 2 cruises and both of these were with Carnival. My wife has been telling me that we should try RCCL. I have resisted because of the great time I have had on the Carnival line and the higher prices on RCCL. I have heard from those that have sailed with both lines that they are very comparable, so the biggest difference would be the attitude of the people on the ship. . If the attitude of the people loyal to RCCL is any thing like those on this post, I would never step foot on a RCCL ship, I’ll stick to the nice folks at Carnival.

I have only been on 2 cruises and both of these were with Carnival. My wife has been telling me that we should try RCCL. I have resisted because of the great time I have had on the Carnival line and the higher prices on RCCL. I have heard from those that have sailed with both lines that they are very comparable, so the biggest difference would be the attitude of the people on the ship. . If the attitude of the people loyal to RCCL is any thing like those on this post, I would never step foot on a RCCL ship, I’ll stick to the nice folks at Carnival.

Again, you are now assuming that all of the people that sail on RCCL are not nice people. I really don't understand how smart knowledgeable people can make generalizations about a group, based on a few.

RCCL cruisers, please accept my apologies for rude/snide remarks made. Although I am not making them, it embarrasses me.

I really do hope everyone has a terrific day and great cruises in store for them.

The "dumb" move by the Carnival captain is the same "dumb" move that captains of every cruise line make when the passengers are running late.

If you think for a moment that Royal Caribbean has never left anybody behind for being late, you are not thinking straight (ask some of my friends who were on the Mariner of the Seas not too long ago and had to pay their way to St Thomas to meet the ship there)

The issue here is that someone decided to use this token of goodwill and turn it into a "let's bash another cruise line that I have probably never sailed on" post.

The captain's actions of the RCL ship should be commended, but not at the expense of bashing someone else.

A few months ago, When the Carnival Triumph's captain decided to turn the ship around and pick up some rafters in the Florida Keys straits people commended his actions, but nobody turned it into a "my captain is better than yours" or "that's expected from a Carnival captain but not a Royal Caribbean captain" kind of post. That would've been just as dumb and stupid as the comment that was made here

I've had the wonderful experience of sailing on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival both (along with many other cruise lines) so that's why I objectively believe that the comment was dumb.

It is a dumb move when the Captain allows the competitor to pick them up.

Again, you are now assuming that all of the people that sail on RCCL are not nice people. I really don't understand how smart knowledgeable people can make generalizations about a group, based on a few.

RCCL cruisers, please accept my apologies for rude/snide remarks made. Although I am not making them, it embarrasses me.

I really do hope everyone has a terrific day and great cruises in store for them.

This is exactly the point that I was trying to make earlier. A perfectly good thing and wonderful story has turned into a total battle to see who has the best captain, ship, fellow passengers, etc.

Sue, you are very wrong in your assumption.

It is posted on the Carnival board and the people over there are saying the same things people over here are. It was a terrific thing for the Captain of the RCCL ship to do. I just wish it wouldn't be tarnished with comments and remarks like yours.

Why does there always have to be friction between the boards?

I love cruising and I love it on any cruise line I am on.

Hope you have a wonderful day.

It was NOT posted on the Carnival board when I posted that comment and it was not meant in a derogatory way. I am sorry but I have been around these boards long enough to know no matter the cruise line that none of the boards respond well to something less than complimentary being posted about their cruise line of choice. If you took it any other way I am sorry but it was certainly not meant that way.

Archived