Voyager comes to the rescue of Carnival couple!

Yes I agree my comments were pretty stupid, I was just joining in the “fun” of bashing other cruise lines. Honestly I would not make a decision on which line to cruise on based on the comments of a person on an anonymous message board. I will base my decision on the cost of the cruise, the quality of the cruise, the ports of call, and the attitude of the people I actually encounter on the ship. Right now I have been happy with Carnival, but would probably be just as happy if all of the above criteria were met for me to vacation with RCCL.

Also I need to modify my comment from above. I said I would never step foot on a RCCL ship, I guess if I was stranded and the captain of the RCCL ship welcomed me aboard for a lift to the next port I would gladly accept his offer!

I met this couple last friday on Cozumel. They said it was there fault. They arrived at the pier at 3:45 and got in the wrong tender line. The last advertised tender for conquest was at 3:30, but I watched as the last run pulled out at 3:50 with only about 8 people on it. Their was not else left in line to take. The captain pulled his gangway, turned the ship and left, there is no blame except on the couple.

Bravo for the voyager taking them. They are lucky they did have to pay for a flight to cozumel.

At one point CCL knew that RCCI was going to pick the stranded couple up. It would have made things worst if the CCL ship needed to come back. The RCCI ship was already to leave but would have been held up if the CCL came back. I am sure it is standard protocol and options were discussed and this way both cruise line stayed on schedule.

I do think it was nice of Capt. Gerry to collect the passengers, but I wonder how the paying passengers of the Voyager felt about to late comers getting to stay on their ship a night for free?? I know I would be mad, this is the most expensive trip I will be taking on the Voyager in March. :o

Maybe it wasn't free. I don't see that stated in any posts, only that they were given a stateroom for the evening and enjoyed all the amenities like any other passengers.

It is possible the couple paid for this service and got a 1/7 RC cruise credit as a result (2/7 if it was a suite cabin).:)

Well I don't consider myself a "Carnival cheerleader" as much as a "cruise cheerleader".....but Carnival was my first cruise which I think holds a special place in my heart. I know some of the comments are meant to be funny. I do think it was nice of Capt. Gerry to collect the passengers, but I wonder how the paying passengers of the Voyager felt about to late comers getting to stay on their ship a night for free?? I know I would be mad, this is the most expensive trip I will be taking on the Voyager in March. :o

I was on that cruise on the Voyager and it didn't bother me in the least. I am very glad we picked them up and took them in. I did not hear one negative comment from any person on the Voyager about the Carnival folks.

I wonder how long of delay or how much the Carnival folks would have been out if we had not been able to help them out?

Captain Gerry made a kind gesture and I am sure those folks were very appreciative.

I have cruised on both lines.

Will this affect my future cruising on Royal Caribbean? Not in the least.

Will this affect my future cruising on Carnival? Not at all.

I thnk it is very nice that the RCCL Capt. picked up the stranded couple. Something that he definatly didn't have to do. Kudos to him and RCCL:) I just don't understand the bashing of Carnival. The Carnival Capt. did nothing wrong by leaving on time. Everybody knows what time you have to be back by and the staff tells you to make sure that you are on "ship time" before you get off the ship. We always make sure that we are back on the ship with plenty of time to spare. I personally have not sailed on RCCL and I'm sure they are a great line to cruise on. We really enjoy Carnival and therefore continue to cruise with them. I just don't understand all the childish bashing:confused: If you don't like cruising with a certain line, nobody is twisting your arm to do so. As for me I will continue to cruise on my Motel 6 cruise line.:)

I will continue to travel Carnival as well as RC. Both lines have great service and seriously if you want to avoid being left behind I suggest you get back to the ship on time!! :eek: Drives me crazy that people are taking the opportunity to bash Carnival.

Great post, and I agree completely! I have cruised both lines too, so I am not a cheerleader for either line, but it is amazing the snobbery of some people...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

The "dumb" move by the Carnival captain is the same "dumb" move that captains of every cruise line make when the passengers are running late.

If you think for a moment that Royal Caribbean has never left anybody behind for being late, you are not thinking straight (ask some of my friends who were on the Mariner of the Seas not too long ago and had to pay their way to St Thomas to meet the ship there)

The issue here is that someone decided to use this token of goodwill and turn it into a "let's bash another cruise line that I have probably never sailed on" post.

The captain's actions of the RCL ship should be commended, but not at the expense of bashing someone else.

A few months ago, When the Carnival Triumph's captain decided to turn the ship around and pick up some rafters in the Florida Keys straits people commended his actions, but nobody turned it into a "my captain is better than yours" or "that's expected from a Carnival captain but not a Royal Caribbean captain" kind of post. That would've been just as dumb and stupid as the comment that was made here

I've had the wonderful experience of sailing on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival both (along with many other cruise lines) so that's why I objectively believe that the comment was dumb.

Excellent points!!:)

Final thoughts:

1. I love RC and Carnival - and any other line that eventually sails out of Texas

2. Capt Gerry sounds like a nice man

3. Don't be late back to your ship and you won't have to worry about someone picking you up.

4. Don't bash other cruise lines and we can all get along.

One thing we'll all have to agree on is this thread sure is more interesting here on RC board than on Carnival. Thank you OP for sharing the info on Carnival's board, but I think you've got more of a reaction here eh? :D

Sure does make the workday go faster ;)

In all fairness to the veteran members of the RCCL board, the person who made the "Hyatt/Comfort Inn" comment is brand new to CC. ;)

Well this has been amusing.

The sea is as unforgiving as she is beautiful and maritime law does require that a ships master give assistance where it is needed no matter the circumstances. So here's my scenario: " Carnival Conquest calling Voyager of the Seas. Come back?" "Voyager of the Seas calling Conquest, Cpt. Gerry here, how can we be of assistance?" "Hey Cpt Gerry, nice to hear your voice again, you have room for two more?" "Sure, what's the problem?" "Two stragglers needing a ride to Cozumel, guess they had a little too much fun today." "No problem. We'll take them aboard and meet you in Cozumel. Have their papers ready. Have a safe passage." "Will do and the same to you. Conquest out."

Sailors have their own fraternity and helping out is a common occurrence among their brotheren on the high seas. They talk to each other on a regular basis, ship to ship, master to master. This is not that far out of the ordinary. I would be glad to have had the couple on my ship, it wouldn't have made me the least bit "mad". In fact it wouldn't have been my business at all. I would have been too involved in my own vacation to even notice, but proud my captain did.

Now another observation: Here on CC, this board is the RCCL board. Carnival people have their own board. We have cruising in common, but each board should be allowed their honest opinions without comment. That's the primary function for these boards. The problem arises when posters go to the other boards and stir up trouble. We should be able to say what we want to about another line and so should the other board, but coming over here or going over there and making derrogatory comments isn't kosher. In fact, one person I know I had a run in with earlier in '07 again has come over to our boards to make her critical comments, even though she was agued on by one of our posters. By the same token, our posters should not have gone over there to make theirs. Let's let each other have our boards and stay put. Good fences make good neighbors.

I wonder how the paying passengers of the Voyager felt about to late comers getting to stay on their ship a night for free?? I know I would be mad

Wow. Well if that happens I hope you just march right up to the Captain and tell him how you feel. :rolleyes:

Well I don't consider myself a "Carnival cheerleader" as much as a "cruise cheerleader".....but Carnival was my first cruise which I think holds a special place in my heart. I know some of the comments are meant to be funny. I do think it was nice of Capt. Gerry to collect the passengers, but I wonder how the paying passengers of the Voyager felt about to late comers getting to stay on their ship a night for free?? I know I would be mad, this is the most expensive trip I will be taking on the Voyager in March. :o

Why would you be mad?:confused: They paid for a cruise. You paid for a cruise. I don't see how their presence on your ship would affect your cruise experience at all.

I think the posts bashing a cruise line by people who have never sailed on that line are pretty comical. I've only cruised with Princess and Royal Caribbean (unless you want to count the Scotia Prince, but that's another topic:rolleyes:). Those are the only two cruiselines I would feel comfortable making comments about, and even then they would only be my opinion based on my tastes, interests, and lifestyle.

It's kind of funny...after two cruises within three months of each other (on Grand Princess and Explorer of the Seas) I wrote a review that compared my experiences on both ships. In it I discussed the things I preferred about each ship/line, and also said I felt the two are far more alike than different. Well, there was a poster on the Princess board that really took exception to my comments, and basically let me know in no uncertain terms that Royal Caribbean was inferior in every way to Princess and the two cruiselines have no similarities whatsoever. I got sucked in for a while, then realized this poster had never even set foot on a Royal Caribbean ship, so I gave up. Obviously the poster was far more knowledgeable than me about the experience on a Royal Caribbean ship, and he or she knew everything there was to know without ever having had the experience!:p

One thing we'll all have to agree on is this thread sure is more interesting here on RC board than on Carnival. Thank you OP for sharing the info on Carnival's board, but I think you've got more of a reaction here eh? :D

Actually, I'm the OP, and I wasn't the one who posted on the Carnival board.

It wasn't my intention to bash Carnival, and I haven't. I was actually pretty careful about that (someone else here called Carnival Carnivore - could have done that, but refrained). All lines leave someone behind at one time or another. Just once we worried that it might be us (although it never has been), and it would have been Serenade of the Seas that would have left us behind. And it would have been our fault.

I thought it was an interesting story and kind of the Captain Gerry. I'd hate to be on shore and watch my ship sail off into the sunset!

Give it time. I'm like you - I would love to see more cruises out of New Orleans. N'awlins is still recovering. Once she comes back as her grand ole beautiful self we will be seeing bigger, newer and more beautiful cruise ships making the Port of New Orleans their home once again.

I've sailed on the Norwegian Sun in 2007, out of New Orleans on a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise. Even though the SUN is a smaller, older ship we still had a wonderful time. Have you ever considered sailing on the SUN?

I was there for the Saints vs. Falcons this fall and the tourist areas look great. I can't believe they don't have more cruises yet. I hope you are right that they will come! NCL doesn't have the Sun there now, it has the Spirit, but regardless, my problem is that I cannot take a cruise for more than 4 or 5 days maximum (due to baby and her grandmother's limited endurance!).

It all seems like a very silly thing to fight over. There will always be those RCI peeps who call Carnival "gaudy, vegasy, plasticy, Wal-marty" and the like. Just the same as Carnival folks will call RCI "Shopping Mall of the Seas", "White Elephant of the Seas" and so on. Neither side is going to convince the other that their position is the right one. Cruise line fans are very similar to sports fans in that regard. That being said, here's my two cents:

Anyone ever wonder if the blue bloods that sail on the premium lines like Cunard look at threads like this and laugh? It would be like a guy who gets driven around in a Bentley all day hearing two "blue collar" types arguing about one's Chevy being better than the other's Ford. Im not sure that RCI or CCL fans have any cause to be snooty to each other. Neither one is a premium line, and you're certainly not going to be spotting the rich and famous strolling the pool deck on either line.

Archived