Yum Yum Man

levramosis

I'm new to HAL and to cruising in general. May will be my first ever cruise (Volendam-Alaska)I keep seeing people in the forums referring to the "Yum Yum Man" and a cast of other oddly named characters. Please help fill in the naive and curious. I'd loved to get an idea of what all you experienced cruisers look forward to!:)

Thanks

I'm new to HAL and to cruising in general. May will be my first ever cruise (Volendam-Alaska)I keep seeing people in the forums referring to the "Yum Yum Man" and a cast of other oddly named characters. Please help fill in the naive and curious. I'd loved to get an idea of what all you experienced cruisers look forward to!:)

Thanks

The Yum Yum Man is the fellow who stands at the dining room door, announcing dinner with his chimes. And, hands out yummies at the end of dinner (ginger if the seas are rough, mints, etc.). He's dressed in what looks like the Philip Morris uniform in red (wearing a pillbox-type hat)...if you remember that from the "good old days!"

We were on a Hal ship for Christmas and the poor guy had to walk around for two nights with his face all red and green , silly big ears, and an elf costume. I asked him if he minded, and he said nothing, but shrugged his shoulders and raised his eyes up. Thats why I have not named the ship.

I, too, was curious about the "yum yum" guy. Idiotic name. The poor sap has to stand there in that costume and hand out icky dried fruit? I asked for mints the first nite, then skipped it. A waste of time and effort. HAL is trying too hard. Just leave individually wrapped mints or something on a table for the taking and travelers can take one as they exit the dining room.

I, too, was curious about the "yum yum" guy. Idiotic name. The poor sap has to stand there in that costume and hand out icky dried fruit? I asked for mints the first nite, then skipped it. A waste of time and effort. HAL is trying too hard. Just leave individually wrapped mints or something on a table for the taking and travelers can take one as they exit the dining room.

Though I appreciate your point of view, I enjoy seeing the Yum Yum man and like the tradition.

Idiotic name ... A waste of time and effort. Just leave individually wrapped mints or something on a table ...
The name was coined in the absence of an official title. This crew member hands out yummies/yum-yums after the evening meals. I would invite you to suggest an alternative, but it would be like trying to rename Silly Putty.

As for being a waste of time, that is your opinion ... to which you are entitled. Some of us get much pleasure out of receiving a mint, date, or ginger from a smiling, friendly face instead of a vending machine or equally impersonal table. It's a HAL tradition -- one which I hope isn't abandoned (as others have been.)

The Yum Yum man was the first and last impression each evening from our dining experience. He was always smiling and pleasant. The mints were just an extra treat, if we chose to enjoy, while walking to the Vista Lounge or on the way to the chocolate in the Explorer's Bar. I considered him a representative of HAL's wonderful employees.

The Yum Yum man was the first and last impression each evening from our dining experience. He was always smiling and pleasant. ......... I considered him a representative of HAL's wonderful employees.

I am not disputing for a moment that HAL does not have wonderful employees, of course they do. The very fact that he was doing his job with a big smile, day after day , testifies to that effect, but do you really think he LIKES wearing red and green makeup, silly ears, and a dwarf costume ? Would you ? At Christmas...away from your family and home ? .

HAL calls the "Yum Yum Man" a Doorman and there are usually two onboard. Like others have already said, it's a HAL tradition which, I personally hope, they will continue for a long time to come.

Here's the good thing: no one is being forced by the Spanish Inquisition to speak to the Yum Yum man, approach him while walking backwards, bow three times while clicking one's heels, partake in his offerings, and/or do anything else but walk right past him at a trot, or even a full sprint. Isn't live great?;)

Prinsendam19Day7MariaandYumYumManFr.jpg?t=1201791824

The name was coined in the absence of an official title. This crew member hands out yummies/yum-yums after the evening meals. I would invite you to suggest an alternative, but it would be like trying to rename Silly Putty.

As for being a waste of time, that is your opinion ... to which you are entitled. Some of us get much pleasure out of receiving a mint, date, or ginger from a smiling, friendly face instead of a vending machine or equally impersonal table. It's a HAL tradition -- one which I hope isn't abandoned (as others have been.)

Ditto, Jim! ;)

HAL calls the "Yum Yum Man" a Doorman and there are usually two onboard. Like others have already said, it's a HAL tradition which, I personally hope, they will continue for a long time to come.

Here's the good thing: no one is being forced by the Spanish Inquisition to speak to the Yum Yum man, approach him while walking backwards, bow three times while clicking one's heels, partake in his offerings, and/or do anything else but walk right past him at a trot, or even a full sprint. Isn't live great?;)

OH NO.....did someone mention the Inquisition ? ! ....Not the SPANISH Inquisition !! :eek:

spanishinq0go.jpg

Does HAL have them on board as well...Is that another HAL tradition... !

Below decks on HAL.....?

299px-Pedro_Berruguete_-_Saint_Dominic_Presiding_over_an_Auto-da-fe_(1475).jpg

We only got to experience the "yum yum" man once on our Xmas cruise - the service in the dining room was sooooooo slow that he had packed up and gone home by the time we left each evening. :D

Leave me a bowl of mints to help myself anytime. :D

Jennie, did they REALLY have to walk round dressed up like that? OMG!!!

Sue

Waste of time? That' a matter of opinion.

AL trying to hard? I woudl say they exists to make passengers happy..

Icky dried fruit? I love the candied ginger and hate dates, but that again is just an opinion.

After 2 dinners theYum Yum Man knew us by name, and I would much rather have him hand my my yum yum ginger in a napkin than fish it out of a bowl that who knows how many have fished around in to get their ideal snack.

I'm so happy that someone asked the question about the Yum Yum Man. I was wondering about it too but hadn't bothered to ask the question here on the boards.

As for his presence, while it may not be necessary, it's a nice little custom that I can't wait to appreciate again. I remember it from our last HAL cruise in '05.

I'm so happy that someone asked the question about the Yum Yum Man. I was wondering about it too but hadn't bothered to ask the question here on the boards.

Nah, never shy away from asking a question here. Even the doozies get answered! :D

Archived