X- Fan goes Cunard

Germancruiser

Enjoyed scanning over your review, but a question.

You point out the Queen Mary 2 is 'not a cruise ship.'

How is it not a cruise ship? (I've only been on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas, & am booked to cruise the Constellation shortly).

Richard.

Enjoyed scanning over your review, but a question.

You point out the Queen Mary 2 is 'not a cruise ship.'

How is it not a cruise ship? (I've only been on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas, & am booked to cruise the Constellation shortly).

Richard.

The Queen Mary 2 is an "ocean liner" that was built primarily for trans atlantic crossings, so it can handle rough seas better than the typical cruise ship.

The QM2 as a liner was built to cross the Atlantic form NY to Southampton. She excels at it, she has a strengthened hull, and rides like a dream cutting through the worst of seas. She is a better ship for the cooler Atlantic run as she does not have a very good outdoor eating area and sits deep in the water so she must tender in many smaller ports. Overall for a transatlantic I'd want to be on no other ship.

Inside she is beautiful!

Ah another thing, there are no such things as ice skateing, climbing walls, boxing rings or all that funship stuff to find on board Queen Mary 2, neither is on X- Ships- maybe thats why I like them both. Isn´t it great that there are so many options of ships, style. etc. nowadays. So everybody should find something to his liking.

The Queen Mary 2 is an "ocean liner" that was built primarily for trans atlantic crossings, so it can handle rough seas better than the typical cruise ship.

I just learned that the Cunard 'liners' are "ocean liners" in this article in yesterday's newspaper: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080130.QUEENVIC30/TPStory/?query=cunard

I saw a cute photo a couple of years ago (I believe it was QE2 rather than QM2) of a snowman that someone made on deck after a heavy December snowstorm. The snowman enjoyed about 4 inches of snow on rails and other surrounding ship superstructure; it was a 'cool' photo.

Notwithstanding hull shapes, 'cruise' ships like their pax generally avoid snowy winters.

Michael, so glad you had a good cruise. Also jealous that you got to be in NYC for the "Three Queens!"

Sadly, our next QM2 crossing was cancelled for her drydock, so at this point, we'll sail one way on QE2, and fly home.

Great review,

Andrew

Andy- thanks- yes the " Three Queens" was really a nice touch of our voyage- a nice ending though.

I sailed QE 2 for a three night break voyage- I liked the ship really- it is as if one sails in or on a piece of history. For you, of course, it is also something special to sail at one of her last sailiings.

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for an excellent review. It couldn't have come at a better time as we are considering making the transition the other way about - we have only ever cruised with Cunard but we are about to book a trip on Constellation. How do you think a Cunarder would enjoy Celebrity? From your review they generally seem pretty similar, would that be so? Any further advice would be appreciated.

Susan-M

Many thanks for the link to the article on Queen Victoria. I have just one comment. As a Brit I have to challenge this nonsense that "QV has brought class division to the high seas". Of course those who pay top dollar get the best cabins and the best service as they do on every cruise line but because Cunard is (or was) British that distinction is somehow put down to class. I doubt whether there is much difference between a Cunard butler and a Celebrity butler, and I doubt whether I shall ever experience either of them! It's not class it's money.

Sorry about that, now back to Celebrity!

J.

Here is the link to my QM 2 experience early this year.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=37456.

As the itinerary was not quite new I kept it all a little ship related, sorry about the lack of information about the islands.

Greetings

Michael

Excellent review. If I lived near New york I think this would be a nice option for us as well. Any pictures of the work at GZero? Those are rare these days.

J- I think you will be pleased with the Constellation, I liked her very much. Very elegant ship, don´t miss to go to the Ocean Liners Restaurant, thats a real great location for dinner- worth every cent of 30 Dollars Cover Charge.

Here is pictures with Ground Zero from the top floor of the Millenium Hilton

899749084_Urlaub2008005.jpg.ad51802c18e14f94f90b1b7befc7bed4.jpg

J

Being a Brit myself and been on both the QE2 and QM2( I was at the launching of the QE2) I would like to differ with you. There is a class division on these Ocean Liners. There are certain places that one can not go. I agree it is all money but on all other ships that I have been on, and that is many, everyone is treated the same. Yes you may get assigned to a better table in the dining room but not to a special room for diner.

I loved both of these cruises and would not hesitate to take many more.

Yes there is a Class division, Queens and Princess Class have their own dinning spot and a lounge. You get what you pay for. On other cruise lines there very similar divisions. On RCL - ships ( I don´t if there are any on X lately) there seperate Lounges for Suite or Diamond Plus or whatever members. Think of the garden villas I have heard, Norwegiean Cruise Line provides. In my opinion it is just that on board the Queens the division is more obvious.

As I like the great big dinning rooms, such as the Britannia Restaurant- I would decline to have dinner in the Queens Grill Restaurants. The atmosphere there alone is great. In fact, even as Britannia Restaurant is big dinning hall, I never felt it noisy or loud. The poeple who planed this dinning romm did their jobs.

The famous Cunard White Star Service is not better than the service on Celebrity. ( Maybe in the early years of White Star or Cunard- our waiter on QM 2 would have been kicked overboard- LOL)

Before I sailed Cunard- Celebrity was my favorite line. But the QM2 really blew me away. I loved it.

After reading time and again about the service in the Britania diningroom- I opted to serve myself (and my 6 year old son) in the Kings Court for meals.

In any event- I really enjoyed our TA and I loved the Golden Lion Pub- met so many nice people there, played trivia, watched karoke. It was a fun place IMO.

We loved our first cruise on QM2 so much that I have two short ones booked. This time (2/15/08 and 3/20/08) I will try the afternoon tea but will probably eat in the Kings Court for meals again. It worked well for us- we didn't have to sit thru courses and over-eat.

The Spa was wonderful- one of the best I have been to on land or sea. Expensive but really good- the aromatherapy massage was the best (Swedish and reflexology weren't as good). Hair dresser did a good job on my hair and it was nice to be pampered.

I wouldn't sail Royal, Princess, Carnival, Norwegian again. I think Celebrity is better than those lines- but Cunard is better in most respects than Celebrity. This summer I am trying Holland America for the first time in over 20 years.

Rebecca, I guess we will get pampered on both lines. Isn´t it nice to have such a wide verierty to choose from. So everyone may find something to his likeing.

Michael

I agree and I still hold a special place in my heart for Celebrity- have always had a great experience on Celebrity.

The things I preferred at QM2 were the high ceilings and beautiful decor.

The heated fresh water pools and hot tubs.

The wrap around promenade

The general ambiance was "grander" than Celebrity.

Things I like better about Celebrity

Service is the best shipwide

J

Being a Brit myself and been on both the QE2 and QM2( I was at the launching of the QE2) I would like to differ with you. There is a class division on these Ocean Liners. There are certain places that one can not go. I agree it is all money but on all other ships that I have been on, and that is many, everyone is treated the same. Yes you may get assigned to a better table in the dining room but not to a special room for diner.

I loved both of these cruises and would not hesitate to take many more.

Cruisinggran

With respect I think we will have to agree to disagree on this: I really don’t see that Cunard is any significant way different to most of the other major cruise lines as regards this class business. To answer your main point - it is true that one cannot just walk in to the grills dining areas but equally no-one is excluded in the sense that anyone can book a suite with grills dining just as you would have to book a suite on Celebrity if you wanted the services of a butler. I really cannot see the difference; in both cases you are making additional payment for a service that is not available to everyone. If that is a class division so be it but surely it applies to all lines not just Cunard.

Either way it’s not a big issue but many people do seem to believe this stuff about Cunard ships being divided up into classes, no doubt going back to the days when they undoubtedly were. The quote that started all this off (“in true English fashion QV has brought class division to the high seas”) reinforces the stereotype and that is what I objected to most. In an otherwise sympathetic review that one paragraph gives completely the wrong impression to those who have never tried Cunard which is a great pity because although we may disagree on the detail I hope we can agree that in reality it is a superb experience whatever grade of cabin you are in.

Michael.

We were on the QE2 cruise that failed to get into Hamburg back in December due to the pilot being unable to board in the very heavy seas. We were expecting quite a party for her last visit to your country and were extremely disappointed.

J.

Rebecca- agreed on all you said. I really forgot about the pools. I enjoiyed the fresh water pools also. The high ceelings were great- as I mentioned in my review. The space on the open decks on QM 2 were also imense. As big as these open decks are on the top of the ship, I always felt a little bit enclosed due to those high glass " walls" , which are neccesary of course. I am sure in the not so fare future I will be on Cunard Liner again. I am very interessted in the Victoria.

Greetings

Michael

J- I followed the QE 2 the day she was sheduled to arrive in Hamburg, just to find out that the skiped Hamburg. The people in Hamburg are really into ships so they make a big party when the " BIG ONE " - as they call her arrives there. It is always all over our TV- Channels. So I really can imagine how disappointed you all have been. I never went to Hamburg for the occaison of the QM 2 arriveing as it is an 8 hours drive from one end of germany to the other. LOL. See how small we are compared to the states. LOL.

Greetings

Michael

Archived