Time zone changes in Alaska

In-the-Glade

I have tried a search for this forum and my computer locks up and I have looked on a time zone map but it is too small to really tell for sure so here is my question.

Is there a time change between Anchorage and Ketchikan?

What about between Skagway and Carcross?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Alaska is most all on one time zone, will be 1 hour behind Vancouver, changing your second day on a northbound trip. From Skagway, once back in BC and later the Yukon, you do go back a hour. I never bother to change.

FYI - Alaska has two time zones but the time zone that covers the Bering Sea and the Aleutians (also incorporates Hawaii) is not in a primary tourist area.

Once upon a time (pre 1980s), Alaska had four time zones: Pacific, Yukon, Alaska, and Bering Sea. Wonderful trivia, huh?

• 9 years later...

I have the same question and I'm not sure of the answer. The map of the Pacific Time Zone looks like it jogs out to cover the ocean the ship will be traveling in. So on a northbound cruise, do we wait until we get to Whittier to change to Alaskan time?

On a normal northbound, southbound or round trip cruise, the whole itinerary is in the same time zone.

You can change your clock immediately after leaving Seattle or Vancouver....or wait until the ship tells you to.

Not much has changed in the ~9 years since this thread began, so I guess it's still pretty relevant to resurrect it!

For coastal cruising, it's all about the land time zones - and Alaska remains on a single time zone, 1 hr behind BC/Yukon, for anywhere you'll go on a Vancouver-Whittier cruise. Find a better-resolution map and you'll clearly see that the line jinks back in where the AK panhandle is.

So most likely you'll change on the first or second night onboard northbound, so you arrive in first AK port on correct local time. The ship won't leave that time zone - but you might if take a Skagway excursion that goes into Canada (even then, for a few hours my guess is that any tour guide or driver who says 'be back at X o'clock' means AK time, not BC/Yukon time - and if they're sensible they'll say 'be back in X minutes' to avoid any confusion at all!!!)