Train from Circular Quay to Blue Mtns

Cherlynn

Has anyone done this? How long does it take? We are actually staying at Darling Harbor, but I don't know what station that would be. I believe we would need to change trains once. Is the Katoomba station the best place to get off and then take the Hop On - Hop Off? I just can't go to Sydney and pass up the Blue Mtns even though it will take the whole day to do it. We especially want to see Scenic World. We know we can take an organized tour, but the thought of being on a bus 2 hours each way isn't appealing. We're hoping to save time on the train. Thanks for any info.

Cheryl

You can get the train from Circular Quay and change at Central Station for the Blue Mountains train.

I've taken the train. It's about a 2 hour trip. Quiet scenic in itself. Yes, get off at Katoomba and a tip ... sit on the left hand side of the train on the way up, for the best views.

I'm sure you could even consider a bus day trip to the Mountains ... although you are stuck to their itinerary.

If you're staying in Darling Harbour then Town Hall station is probably closest but you will still need to change at Central. It takes just over 2 hrs. Here is a link to the timetable:

http://www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/timetable/ttable.jsp?line=bm&day=we&dir=dn

You also might want to buy one of these tickets

Blue Mountains ExplorerLink

One day ticket

This ticket includes return (same day) CityRail travel to Katoomba Station with all day access to the get-on-get-off Explorer bus, a red double decker that drives between 30 attractions around the Blue Mountains.

We did this during our Jan. 2007 trip. Took the train from our hotel in Circular Quay. But we actually spent the night at a B&B, Lurline House (very nice and reasonably priced) in Katoomba. We went to Scenic World & Scenic Railway via the Hop-On/Off bus; as I recall the Hop On bus stops running around 3:30 or 4:00 so if you're going to do it for only one day, you'll need to get an early start. I suggest also getting off in Leura (a town more charming than Katoomba) and stopping in at the tea shop--a most amazing place! I think it was called Bygones. The trip was very easy to do on our own and very enjoyable, but too much to see in just one day.

An absolutely marvellous day! It is best to get a very early train from Central as the train does take about 2 hours before you get to Katomba and, yes, this alone, is a very scenic ride. When arriving you can get on the hop on/hop of bus (just across the road from the station once you have changed the train ticket at Katomba) and, as long as you have left early enough, you will be able to have a very full and enjoyable day. This trip is really very easy to do by oneself and the control is then entirely in your own hands. Do not miss it!

A great thing to do while in the Blue Mountains is to have afternoon tea at the Hydro Majestic Hotel in Medlow Bath. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on the itinerary for the HOHO bus but it is sumptuous.

It is a beautiful old art deco hotel with magnificient views over the Megalong Valley. They have the best cakes and coffee and tea (not cheap though) but one of those unforgettable experiences.

If you did decide to go by bus, we went on tour with http://www.activitytours.com.au/

which was organised as a CC group from our roll call, though of course you can go 'on your own'. They use about 16 seat mini buses, so can get to some places the 50 seater buses can't. This included a stop at Featherland Wildlife Park, Blue Mts and Sydney Olympic village. Just thought I'd give you the link so you can look at other options.

Simon

Help! After reading the posts, I'm in a quandry. My husband and I had planned to rent a car in Sydney, then drive to the Blue Mountains, stopping wherever we found interesting. Now I wonder if a bus tour or even taking the train/explorer bus wouldn't be a better idea. Suggestions?

Two other questions: do you know the appx. cost of the tour bus or train/explorer bus? And, two, what is the best website to review all of the activities/points of interest in the Blue Mountains area.

Thanks for your assistance.

I guess it's a personal decision. If you are comfortable driving, it will give you more freedom and you won't be locked into itineraries. For most of the trip it will be pleasant freeway driving.

However, you might be able to relax more and see more if someone else is doing the driving. It also means that there's no chance that you might get lost and spend precious time finding your way around ... although that could be fun too.

http://www.visitbluemountains.com.au/index.php

Help! After reading the posts, I'm in a quandry. My husband and I had planned to rent a car in Sydney, then drive to the Blue Mountains, stopping wherever we found interesting. Now I wonder if a bus tour or even taking the train/explorer bus wouldn't be a better idea. Suggestions?

Two other questions: do you know the appx. cost of the tour bus or train/explorer bus? And, two, what is the best website to review all of the activities/points of interest in the Blue Mountains area.

Thanks for your assistance.

Susie

Personally, I would opt for the train and then use the explorer hop-on hop-off bus. Here is a post I did a while back that you might find useful:

Billy, a day trip to the Blue Mountains makes for a great day out and using the train is a really good way of doing it. Be warned though, a day trip will likely leave you wanting more! To taste all that the Katoomba/Luera area has to offer (spectacular mountain scenery, bushwalks and even art galleries and tea houses) is probably too much for one day, but one day certainly gives you a chance to appreciate the highlights.

What tomtal did was travel on an interurban train from Sydney to the Blue Mountains (see
) and then use the Blue Mountains Explorer hop-on hop-off bus to get around the various attractions (see
for full details of the service and the area's attractions, plus links to other sites). The train trip takes about 2 hours, so to maximise your time at Katoomba, I suggest catching an early train (there is one a little before 7:30am from Sydney Central to Katoomba that links with the first explorer bus of the day), and then return on a late afternoon train.

The Blue Mountains Explorer ticket, which you buy from the train station and includes travel on the explorer bus, costs $48.80 for adults ($18.50 for pensioners) and is a cost effective way of doing the trip. The explorer bus website mentioned above provides a good rundown on the attractions, which are mostly centred around Katoomba.

Cheers

Bob

I guess it's a personal decision. If you are comfortable driving, it will give you more freedom and you won't be locked into itineraries. For most of the trip it will be pleasant freeway driving.

However, you might be able to relax more and see more if someone else is doing the driving. It also means that there's no chance that you might get lost and spend precious time finding your way around ... although that could be fun too.

http://www.visitbluemountains.com.au/index.php

Vozzie - there is nothing pleasant about driving the M4 in Sydney :D

Maurice

We did the Blue Mountain tour last April and if I do it again I would definately take the train. We picked up the tour at Circular Quay and then we drove all over central Sydney picking up people at various hotels. Then we got stuck in traffic and saw the train whiz by us headed for the Blue Mountains!! The tour bus was around a 16 seater and with all the passengers on it could barely make it up steep hills, very slow going. On the return it was slow going dropping people off at various places in Sydney.

Yes the take the train!

Thanks to everyone who posted. I got alot of good info from you and I really appreciate it. I think I will now feel fairly comfortable taking the train and getting on the HoHo or the Explorer bus.

Vozzie - that was pretty funny about us being from CA and the Sunday drive!!! CA is so crowded now, it's a battle no matter where you go. I'm just not sure about driving on the opposite side of the street:D !

I printed out this thread and I will take it with me. Thanks again!

Cheryl

Archived