Yet another alcohol question...

KAWS

We received our cruise documents today and on one of the pages it stated rather emphatically that if caught bringing alcohol on board you can be refused embarking.

I told hubby that yes we can still bring it "carefully" on in our checked luggage, but he's freaking a little thinking they are going to scan our checked stuff and then refuse us.

So, he asked me to come on here and post the question: Is this just a scare tactic to discourage the practice or are they really going to be that zealous and then if we're caught, not let us get on the ship?

If they find it then your luggage won't show up and they will call you to the naughty room. When you get there they will have you open it and confiscate it until the last night of the cruise. I think you would have to be packing a bar for them actually to throw you off or if you got nasty about it. Many of said they have gotten it on with no problem, so it is up to you.

They do sell alcohol on the ships ;)

###

Unfortunately only one drink at a time, not by the bottle. :D I needed 2 pitchers of tropical stuff to finish off the day...before anyone freaks about the amount, it was actually spread over about 7 hours and only about 5 drinks. :rolleyes:

Last cruise, I packed wine and vodka in our luggage that we gave to the porters to put on board. And, figured if the phone in the room rang, would not answer it or check the message until after we sailed. So, how can they put you off the ship once you sail?

Last cruise, I packed wine and vodka in our luggage that we gave to the porters to put on board. And, figured if the phone in the room rang, would not answer it or check the message until after we sailed. So, how can they put you off the ship once you sail?

At the next port.

What would you do if security just showed up at your cabin? You can't just not answer the door. They have a key.

There have not been credible reports I have heard of people being denied boarding or put off at the first port after being caught smuggling. That said, they do reserve the right to do this, so you never know when they might want to ramp up their enforcement of this policy or set an example of someone. All they have to do is deny a few people boarding and that will put an end to most smuggling. If you do risk it, most likely you will succeed or it will just be confiscated, but you are breaking the rules. The alcohol for sale is priced similar to prices at an urban bar on land, so it is not too bad.

Well, let's think realistically . . . I'm not arguing that you should or shouldn't do it, I'm just looking at what's most likely to happen . . .

Say they catch you with a couple bottles in your checked luggage. The porters who stand out in the heat don't check your luggage, so by the time anyone has time to scan your luggage and discover "your crime", you'll already have boarded. To "catch you and punish you", they're going to have to send someone to your cabin or page you and hope you hear your name. Then they're going to have to verify that it's actually your luggage, etc., etc., etc. And they have to do this on embarkation day, which is already awfully busy for them.

Do they really want to spend all that time chasing down a person who has a bottle of rum? What would it cost them -- in both finances and good will -- to stop smuggling? Could they even locate you before you sail?

Let's say they do find you. They have a decision to make: Put you off or just take your bottle. If they put you off -- even though they have the right to do so -- you're going to be hopping mad. You're going to go home and tell people about this awful thing, and people are going to avoid Royal Caribbean in the future because they're going to believe you were treated harshly. Also, if they put you off the ship, you're not going to spend money on drinks (because you were almost certainly going to buy some alcohol onboard), you're not going to spend money in their shops, and you're not going to buy their ship excursions. Yes, they'll have your ticket money, but they won't get any more! Furthermore, they cannot fill your space, so your room will sail empty and your waiters and room steward will not be tipped this week. That can't happen too many times without Royal Caribbean losing its best workers.

Putting you off is looking like a pretty bad business decision, isn't it?

In the real world, yes, they CAN put you off . . . but they won't. Not unless you've done something really awful or unless you're very nasty towards their staff. Doesn't that just stand to common sense? Realistically, IF they catch you, they'll take your bottle.

Well, let's think realistically . . . I'm not arguing that you should or shouldn't do it, I'm just looking at what's most likely to happen . . .

Say they catch you with a couple bottles in your checked luggage. The porters who stand out in the heat don't check your luggage, so by the time anyone has time to scan your luggage and discover "your crime", you'll already have boarded. To "catch you and punish you", they're going to have to send someone to your cabin or page you and hope you hear your name. Then they're going to have to verify that it's actually your luggage, etc., etc., etc. And they have to do this on embarkation day, which is already awfully busy for them.

Do they really want to spend all that time chasing down a person who has a bottle of rum? What would it cost them -- in both finances and good will -- to stop smuggling? Could they even locate you before you sail?

Let's say they do find you. They have a decision to make: Put you off or just take your bottle. If they put you off -- even though they have the right to do so -- you're going to be hopping mad. You're going to go home and tell people about this awful thing, and people are going to avoid Royal Caribbean in the future because they're going to believe you were treated harshly. Also, if they put you off the ship, you're not going to spend money on drinks (because you were almost certainly going to buy some alcohol onboard), you're not going to spend money in their shops, and you're not going to buy their ship excursions. Yes, they'll have your ticket money, but they won't get any more! Furthermore, they cannot fill your space, so your room will sail empty and your waiters and room steward will not be tipped this week. That can't happen too many times without Royal Caribbean losing its best workers.

In the real world, yes, they CAN put you off . . . but they won't. Not unless you've done something really awful or unless you're very nasty towards their staff. Doesn't that just stand to common sense? Realistically, IF they catch you, they'll take your bottle.

I would think people would be more embarrassed than ticked. They spend thousands for a cruise and smuggles a bottle to save $$$. :eek:

###

Well I agree that it is highly unlikely they would put someone off for smuggling a small quantity of liquor (unless the person is very rude/argumentative about being caught) I am not so sure i agree with your business argument. Yes, on that particular person they would lose the money they would spend on board and generate some bad PR when that person tells their family/friends, but look at the bigger picture: If they boot off 9-10 people for smuggling, word will get around that it does not pay to smuggle and they will procure additional revenues on thousands of people who now smuggle, but would cease doing so becuase those 9-10 people getting kicked off serve as a deterrent.

only once did we take liquor on board and it was because we had had it the two days before in our hotel and it was leftover....really not an issue for us....but i am wondering how much efffort they can afford to put in to looking for the few passengers who bring alcohol with them....are they going to go so far as to confiscate a handful of miniature bottles? what about all these people who talk of putting liquor in water bottles or mouthwash bottles...is it really worth the expense to find these few?

Have a great trip!

Beverly

Another thought on BYOB....as I read the phrasing of the stern warnings (both online and in the fine print at the back of the brochure books) there is an implied difference between "concealing" and having a plainly marked bottle. Filling pop or mouthwash bottles or other obvious concealment means you could no longer claim ignorance. It's an admission of guilt and "could" (not likely) incur harsher treatment.

Putting a bottle in plain sight and if caught claiming you took one on all some other competing cruiseline would probably just get the bottle confiscated and returned on the last night. This is just playing the odds on how closely they check every bag. Booze bottle roulette.

I've always wondered though with thousands of bags to be checked how closely they really scan them. Do they then randomly open bags for a visual check too? Do the RCCL personnel do the scanning or is that strictly a TSA type security scan followed by a random bag check? How random? Do they check bags more closely if they are tagged for a low deck or an inside?

Then again what "generation" of X-ray scanners are used for cruise ships? Probably not quite as up to date as at airports. Obviously hard metal objects like a gun or a knife show up really well but what about soft plastic bottle with liquid? Do they have newer dual-energy scanners that detect organic materials like plastic bottles? Even if they do then careful packing in layers of different materials might obscure an image. Like a six-pack of pop cans or bottles placed over a plastic liquor bottle.

In the end for some it may not be having their own drink but more of playing "the game" and getting away with something just because they are told they can't.

You need to attend Muster drill and they do a Roll Call and it´s usually before sailing;) :p :D Not too much effort needed on their part.

Anyway I agree we´ve not heard from anyone yet to be put off or denied boarding for bringing on alcohol and I agree it´s unlikely they will get to that last step, but it´s their rule and their choice how to enforce it and it´s your chance you take when smuggling and if you are the first one than it won´t help you that they never did it before, it´s your vacation ruined.

Each and anybody needs to make his/her own decisions. But I think if you need that bottle of your own brought booze in the cabin sooo badly, why not tell the cruise line your displeasure about the rule by taking your money elsewhere and cruise a line that allows it.

On the other side of the issue......what kind of public relations issue does it become when RCI holds your luggage, calls you to the "naughty room", only to search your bags and find NO alcohol!!!????

We followed three ladies down the hall after dinner on our recent Legend cruise. THEY were hopping mad about 1) NOT getting their luggage delivered to to their room 2) finding out they were accused of smuggling 3) having NO alcohol in their luggage 4)then having to drag the luggage to their cabin on deck 8 under their own power.

Needless to say, these ladies were livid!

Interesting mirror image on the 'ol hooch smuggling issue.:)

For the OP, if you have a bottle in your checked luggage and they find it; will they throw you off the ship?...NO! They won't.
So if I try this and they do put me off the ship if I tell them you said it wouldn't happen and you can't do this to me because BobBob Sea said you wouldn't then it will be ok? Give me a break.

So if I try this and they do put me off the ship if I tell them you said it wouldn't happen and you can't do this to me because BobBob Sea said you wouldn't then it will be ok? Give me a break.

Give ME a break!! Do you honestly think RCI is STUPID enough to throw pax off the ship just for having a bottle of alcohol in their luggage. If you do, your thinking is beyond rational. Teajak, I thought you had more common sense than this.....

You need to attend Muster drill and they do a Roll Call and it´s usually before sailing;) :p :D Not too much effort needed on their part.

Anyway I agree we´ve not heard from anyone yet to be put off or denied boarding for bringing on alcohol and I agree it´s unlikely they will get to that last step, but it´s their rule and their choice how to enforce it and it´s your chance you take when smuggling and if you are the first one than it won´t help you that they never did it before, it´s your vacation ruined.

Each and anybody needs to make his/her own decisions. But I think if you need that bottle of your own brought booze in the cabin sooo badly, why not tell the cruise line your displeasure about the rule by taking your money elsewhere and cruise a line that allows it.

Why does it have to be one extreme or the other ? Who says they need a bottle of booze sooo badly ? Why does it have to be someone who spends thousands on a cruise is trying to save a few $$ by bringing a bottle ?

Why can't the situation be that I like a drink on my balcony. I like to have

my own liquor so I can have that drink where, when and how I want it. I am certain I will not be denied boarding or thrown off at the first port. It is no trouble to throw a bottle in my luggage and if it is found, has never occured, not only is it no big deal but I will probably get the bottle back at the end of the cruise anyway.

My point is it is not a lot of effort, I don't care about the few bucks it saves and in my situation I feel there is no chance of being kicked off.

It is because I spend thousands on a vacation that I want to have the

option to make my own drink in the privacy of my cabin. I am fully aware

I am breaking a rule and I am willing to be held accountable for my actions.

I don't think RCI is anywhere near as concerned with this issue as

so many people on this board are. I think RCI is just trying to show a little effort to protect the company from any legal liability and probably to a lessor extent to preserve a profit center.

Archived