Yet another alcohol question...

KAWS

I know some guys that are getting trained for port security for Homeland Security, will ask them if Port Canaveral does this. If they do it is not a ctx scan but a normal xray so smaller plastic bottles would not be a big concerned. Large glass bottles are easily seen. I would love to know more about the security, right now it is done by the private sector but the gov is slowly going there. I do know dogs are used. A friend has a malinois that is used on the ships at Port Canveral for bomb sniffing. I will find out more if I can.

I found some more info and they say that 100% of the baggage is xrayed. Also more plain clothes security on board now.

Well I never in a million years figured this question would generate three pages of answers and discussions. Thank you one and all for your comments.

It puts our minds at ease that we will not be turned away if we are found to be in possession of the contraband alcohol. We will be bringing our ill gotten goods in rum runner flasks and packed in our checked baggage. We will not be greedy in how much we pack and we will not announce it or generally even let on we have anything. We will be the soul of discretion!

If we are found out, we will blush appropriately, quietly apologize and surrender the booze.

And either way we will enjoy our cruise.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. I consider my question answered.

Anybody try putting a fake cast on and stuffing mini bottles under the cast? :rolleyes:

I took a 7-day cruise once and, in trying to figure out how to smuggle some mini bottles aboard without getting caught so I wouldn't get get kicked off the ship like so many others have. I finally decided to have my left leg amputated at the knee so I could fill the hollow peg leg with mini bottles. It worked like a charm.

In 2009 we are planning a fourteen day cruise so in two months, I'm having the right leg amputated to handle the extra needed volume of mini bottles. Smart, huh? ;)

I took a 7-day cruise once and, in trying to figure out how to smuggle some mini bottles aboard without getting caught so I wouldn't get get kicked off the ship like so many others have. I finally decided to have my left leg amputated at the knee so I could fill the hollow peg leg with mini bottles. It worked like a charm.

In 2009 we are planning a fourteen day cruise so in two months, I'm having the right leg amputated to handle the extra needed volume of mini bottles. Smart, huh? ;)

Now that is funny!!! hehe!!

Gonzo, first- I am sorry that you are so obsessed with my opinions and my post that you feel the need to continue addressing it.... but I actually find it hillarious that you call it "smuggling" like they are hiding Crack in their bags...

Get a life seriously!

I am not at all obsessed with your posts. I call it smuggling because it is smuggling. Smuggling is "the sneaking of goods or persons past a point where prohibited." Even 99% of the people sneaking on alcohol agree it is smuggling.

Maybe you did answer the question- maybe I was not speaking to you directly at all but still you feel the need to spend your time replying to my post and telling me how "smuggling" ha is wrong.....

Get down off of your high horse. You crack me up!

You are too funny. I am on a "high horse" because I think that it is wrong to sneak in alcohol where prohibited? That is a new one. You sound just like the crooks I work with.

Just because this topic is so much fun.... ;) A few observations.

1. Mini-bottles. Last time I checked the cost per ounce was far more than the cost of any straight drink at the bar on a ship. Only justification I can see is to save the time of going to a bar, getting a few drinks, and taking them back to the cabin.

They had to face the embarrassment

Personally (especially for a bottle of wine) I would not be embarrased at all if they just took it away. Pissed, yes.

3. X-ray...I've checked a number of web sites with sample photos of xray images and, especially on dual energy machines designed to "see" bomb material, bottles show up really well. Pigments in green glass in red wine bottles will show on any machine. But new machines also see plastics very well. If they are using dogs it is less likely they have the newer machines.

4. Port of Miami may have enhanced x-ray per their web site:

a high-tech security screening facility for embarkation
BUT...that's a port operation not a particular cruise line's. All they want is to be sure that organic material is not C4 or something nasty.

5. The consensus seems to be that nobody has ever seen anyone removed form the ship or prevented from sailing just for liquor/wine being found in their luggage. With abundant discretion and not calling attention to ones self with bad behavior the RCCL has little incentive to be oppresive in their enforcement. Screening has to be fairly random or it would take more than 5-6 hours ro load everyone. They have a business to run afer all. The main case for the occaisional impounding or confiscation is to prove in the event of an incident that they made a good faith attempt to enforce their rules. Just enough to provide a CYA factor in court.

You are too funny. I am on a "high horse" because I think that it is wrong to sneak in alcohol where prohibited? That is a new one. You sound just like the crooks I work with.

Yes gonzo I am nothing more then a crook!! haha.. Thanks for the laughs... Anyway, we will agree to disagree and call it a day! Take care and happy cruising to you! :D

Well I agree that it is highly unlikely they would put someone off for smuggling a small quantity of liquor (unless the person is very rude/argumentative about being caught) I am not so sure i agree with your business argument. Yes, on that particular person they would lose the money they would spend on board and generate some bad PR when that person tells their family/friends, but look at the bigger picture: If they boot off 9-10 people for smuggling, word will get around that it does not pay to smuggle and they will procure additional revenues on thousands of people who now smuggle, but would cease doing so becuase those 9-10 people getting kicked off serve as a deterrent.

I agree that eventually they would make more money but they would have to hope that all the other cruise lines follow their example. I still love that holland lets you bring on wine. We brought a case.

We have always brought a bottle of wine or so on RCCL and been no problem. Last spring break, they confiscated all 4 bottles of wine. It definitely held up getting your luggage to the room. When I griped about them taking the wine...Previously I had just been charged a corkage fee in the restaurant, they apologized and were very nice. That is a long way from being kicked off. Oh and they give it back when you return.

I observed very discreetly in Santo Domingo that bags ARE in fact xrayed before being brought on board.

In addition, dogs are used to inspect the bags after xray.

I find it highly unlikely that they have specially trained "BOOZE" dogs. there is really no dollar or security return for that sort of specialized training. :D :D

Archived