Turtle farm ??

new2cruzing

I was wondering how far the turtle farm and Hell is from the dock? Are they in the same area? We have a snorkeling excursion planned for noon and was wondering if we would have time to go to the turtle farm and Hell beforehand? Our ship docks at 8am then have to tender in.

What is the best way to do all of this- taxi, bus???

Please don't take this the wrong way. You do know that the Turtle farm is just that, a farm. The primary function of the Turtle Farm is to raise turtles for human consumption. They do release a small percentage of their product back into the wild. I personally have no problem with people eating turtle meat and I think it is much better that the turtles be farm raised rather than wild harvested. Some people don't like the idea turtle meat being eaten and are get upset when they find out that is what eventually happens to most of the turtles at the farm. This is just a heads up about it.

IMO, Hell is just a bunch of sharp rocks and probably not worth much effort to visit. Of course, YMMV.

I did not know that. Turtle meat- ugh We will skip it.

As far as Hell- again i thought there was more to it.

Thanks for the info. Any other suggestions of things to see before our snorkel time?

Well, I wasn't trying to discourage you from going to the Turtle farm. By many accounts it is quite educational, but I'm not sure the price is justified for a short "before snorkeling" visit.

Are you doing one of the ship's snorkeling trips?

I did a little digging recently and here's an update.....

The old turtle farm is gone - and yes the original purpose was to raise turtle as a product which the US refused to import.

The 'farm' has moved to a new site after hurricane damage, and the turtle farm is now part of a 'water park' which looks very cool.

BUT - know that the NEW turtle farm still raises turtle for two purposes: a successful release program and consumption....

Some have come from the new place with the impression that there is no longer a comsumption end game. If you go to the farm's web site they tell you what last year's production was....production for consumption

I do NOT denegrate turtle as a food source. I've enjoyed it and plan to in the future. I only dislike untruthful solicitation which suggests the new location is ONLY a release program to attract those who don't like turtle soup, steak or cordon bleu...

Check the web sites .... all the information I base my statements on is on sites locatable by Googling "cayman turtle farm"

I did not know that. Turtle meat- ugh We will skip it.

As far as Hell- again i thought there was more to it.

Thanks for the info. Any other suggestions of things to see before our snorkel time?

It's GOOOD!! Taste just like chicken only 10 times as expensive. Yuppies love it.

I wasn't impressed at all with the Turtle Farm visit. First it sits across the street from the beach, the street is big and busy. The tanks sit really close to the road with cars whizzing by. There are several tanks there (maybe 10) they look like children's swimming pools made out of concrete. All tanks could use a little paint and TLC. The entire experience consists of walking from tank to tank looking at various sizes of turtles.

Then when you are finished you cross back over the busy street to the gift shop full of trinkets and trash.

I wasn't impressed at all with the Turtle Farm visit.

When was your visit? 'cause they've totally redone the Turtle Farm in the last couple of years, renaming it Boatswain's Beach and doing a ton of expansions and renovations. From your description, it sounds like you're describing the pre-renovations version of the Turtle Farm...

I was there 2 years ago almost exactly. I have no idea if it was before or after any renovation. It would have to be a major over-haul for me to recommend the place.

Almost definitely pre-renovations then...did it look like this?

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/

(check the map at the right side of the page)

It's definitely gotten the "major over-haul" that you're looking for, at least as far as I can tell from having visited the old one and reading the reviews and newspaper articles on the new one. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised if you revisited it...

Archived