Odyssey World Cruise

Martita B.

I received a Goggle Alert this morning as to the Odyssey World Cruise. Passage for a Suite (2 persons) will be $215,000.

We had a few on the Legend last week who booked ~~don't know if they booked the full cruise or segments.

Miss Pam's presentation was most impressive and informative. Many "perks" for the full 108 days.

Martita B.

The 16 day segment from Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles (Jan 5th) would be a great cruise ~~and fairly reasonable. Cruising thru' the Caribbean, the Panama Canal, Pacific Ocean, Acapulco and on to L.A. sounds inviting ~~a few of us discussed, on the Legend recently booking this part of the World Cruise.:p No international flights.

Martita B.

The 16 day segment from Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles (Jan 5th) would be a great cruise ~~and fairly reasonable. Cruising thru' the Caribbean, the Panama Canal, Pacific Ocean, Acapulco and on to L.A. sounds inviting ~~a few of us discussed, on the Legend recently booking this part of the World Cruise.:p No international flights.

Martita B.

That itinerary would also give a certain someone 10 sea days to plan all sorts of mischief! Almost as many as you get on a transatlantic voyage.

johnny

Am I beeing finicky, but how is Fort Lauerdale to Athens a world cruise. I would have thought a world cruise started and finished at the same place.

Unfortunatly , unless the wife can get the lottery numbers correct we will not be going anyway.

Odyssey World Cruise is up for booking ~~~~:D

Miss Pam's presentation was awesome ~~I'm sure many retired Sailor's across the globe will be booking.

I'll be checking out the Ft. Laud to Los Angeles segment only as I enjoy shorter voyages. (14 to 21 days)

A few of us booked the Spirit March 19th 2010 Transatlantic! (this could be, "Return of the Royals!:confused: )

I was interested also in the Spirit's Nov. 2009 TA from Lisbon, but after the Odyssey TA, Oct. 31st 2009, only a 5 day gap ~~I couldn't disembark in Ft Lauderdale, then fly to Lisbon 4 days later.:cool:

Happy weekend!

Martita B.

We have taken out an option on the Los Angeles/Hong Kong section of the Odyssey World Cruise. We have been told that due to EU or UK legislation (??) our deposit ($6000)is non-refundable (unlike in the USA where this does not apply) and that if we subsquently cancel and transfer this to another cruise, we have to take something of comparable length (53 nights) or to the same value. Anyone in Europe booking segments of the World Cruise (in 2010!) beware!!

We have taken out an option on the Los Angeles/Hong Kong section of the Odyssey World Cruise. We have been told that due to EU or UK legislation (??) our deposit ($6000)is non-refundable (unlike in the USA where this does not apply) and that if we subsquently cancel and transfer this to another cruise, we have to take something of comparable length (53 nights) or to the same value. Anyone in Europe booking segments of the World Cruise (in 2010!) beware!!

I have never heard of such a thing. Is that something that your travel agent said or the booking company in the UK or Seabourn did directly?

Perhaps things will change for you and the other British sailors - I would be hesitant to handover $6K under such uncertain circumstances. Many things could happen between 2008 and 2010. Just curious, but does your travel insurance cover the intricacies of the new legislation?

Hoping things work out to your advantage!

johnny

Eric,

The information regarding legislation came directly from Seabourn, although neither ourselves nor our TA are aware of such legislation. Why does this legislation not apply to Silversea who refund deposits on cancelled cruises in full. We can transfer deposits to other cruises but have to pay $200 administration charge for the privilege although in this particular case it has to be to a cruise of the same duration or cost as the original. It would appear that Seabourn have one rule for their European customers and one for US citizens.

Johnny,

As we are still battling to get an aborted cruise refunded through our travel insurance with AmEx (due to my husband being hospitalised in Las Palmas) which has been going on since last November, I don't think our chances of making another claim would succeed!!

I will try to check this out. I have never had this problem for any UK or other European client.

When booking in the UK or on the Continent, under T&C, full deposit is forfeited if cancelled prior to final payment.

Ditto for Cunard WC as well.

That is not the case of a UK or European resident booking a Seabourn cruise with a US travel agent.

I have not yet heard back from Seabourn if a booking penalty is a Seabourn issue or one of the company that is handling the bookings for UK travel agents. I will keep everyone posted.

(I haven't booked a Cunard World Cruise for anyone, but I do know that Cunard UK is handled differently from Cunard cruises booked in the US.)

What I have been told is that there is a 10% cancellation penalty governed by some sort of UK rule or regulation that governs UK travel agencies. It does not apply to US travel agents.

It is also apparent that UK travel agencies charge higher rates due to similar things, so that US agents cannot even see what UK agents are charging.

BTW, those booked with UK travel agents cannot transfer their bookings to US travel agents. Though, with the pricing differences, the math might make taking the 10% hit and then re-booking worth a look...but only if you are definitely going.

Still, nobody appears to be able to answer my question as to why this does not apply if one books a Silversea cruise through a travel agent when the deposit is refundable?

I really don't know, but it might possibly be the structure of the company or its booking procedures. It is hard for a US travel agent to get much direct information on regulations or procedures for UK agents. Sorry I can't help more on that point.

Eric,

The information regarding legislation came directly from Seabourn, although neither ourselves nor our TA are aware of such legislation. Why does this legislation not apply to Silversea who refund deposits on cancelled cruises in full. We can transfer deposits to other cruises but have to pay $200 administration charge for the privilege although in this particular case it has to be to a cruise of the same duration or cost as the original. It would appear that Seabourn have one rule for their European customers and one for US citizens.

Johnny,

As we are still battling to get an aborted cruise refunded through our travel insurance with AmEx (due to my husband being hospitalised in Las Palmas) which has been going on since last November, I don't think our chances of making another claim would succeed!!

hi Shelagh. Assume Larry is OK now with you planning further cruises. Thats great. We booked short stay in NYC sailing back on QM2 then changed our minds. Were then told deposit was non refundable but were able to transfer it to new cruise on Seabourn. We were charged £100 admin. Why are you talking dollars or is that exchange rate working ? Of course no one can be sure what goes on once the EU interferes. Hope you can sort it out, sounds most unfair.

best wishes David

Archived