Odyssey World Cruise

Martita B.

That is not the case of a UK or European resident booking a Seabourn cruise with a US travel agent.

I have not yet heard back from Seabourn if a booking penalty is a Seabourn issue or one of the company that is handling the bookings for UK travel agents. I will keep everyone posted.

(I haven't booked a Cunard World Cruise for anyone, but I do know that Cunard UK is handled differently from Cunard cruises booked in the US.)

It's all a matter of which tariff one is booked under. If one booked under UK/EU tariff, the T&C for that tariff holds....full forfeiture. If one booked under US tariff, the T&C for US tariff holds.

For example, if I chose to book with my buddy, Frank, in the UK while I was on holiday, although I am US citizen, I'd be bound by the T&C of the UK tariff, not US.

Being a US based agent, you still do have to be careful when booking overseas clients. Sometimes their deals - especially on full World's and segments are better... frightfully so!

Thanks for the tip.:confused: I would be most interested in seeing a UK world cruise, or any other, price on Seabourn that is lower than what I book at using US pricing (i.e. not limited by published pricing in the US). I do not believe, in practice, that exists.

Also, the use of the term tariff really doesn't answer the question as to why. A tariff is merely a confirmation of pricing and regulations associated therewith.

Seabourns booking condition in the UK state that:

Cancellation from date ok booking to 57 days before departure ; Loss of deposit

56 days to 42 days loss 45%

41 days to 16 days loss 75%

15 days to 5 days loss 90%

under days 100 %.

This seems standard amongst all cruise companies in the Uk, is it completely different in the US

Not sure where my post went, but as I said, I am very confident there is not a UK pricing which is better than a US pricing on a Seabourn cruise. And, in the US discounting is fairly common, to boot. If anyone can show me where a UK price is better than a US price I would love to see it.

Personally, I have never experienced a UK price on any luxury line which is better than a US price. That is not to say that I have as much experience with all of the luxury lines, but I do know that fish and chips do not cost US$25+ nor does gallon of gas cost $8+...and the list goes on.

Seabourns booking condition in the UK state that:

Cancellation from date ok booking to 57 days before departure ; Loss of deposit

56 days to 42 days loss 45%

41 days to 16 days loss 75%

15 days to 5 days loss 90%

under days 100 %.

This seems standard amongst all cruise companies in the Uk, is it completely different in the US

Apart from Silversea!

Not sure where my post went, but as I said, I am very confident there is not a UK pricing which is better than a US pricing on a Seabourn cruise. And, in the US discounting is fairly common, to boot. If anyone can show me where a UK price is better than a US price I would love to see it.

Personally, I have never experienced a UK price on any luxury line which is better than a US price. That is not to say that I have as much experience with all of the luxury lines, but I do know that fish and chips do not cost US$25+ nor does gallon of gas cost $8+...and the list goes on.

We can certainly get better prices with our agent in the UK than we could in the States and that's with the dollar rate in our favour!

We can certainly get better prices with our agent in the UK than we could in the States and that's with the dollar rate in our favour!

Having an excellent agent, and being happy with him/her is always a good thing.:) I am pretty confident that without an actual comparison of net prices (forgetting about the penalty issue, that seems to be a sore point and may support that pricing) concluding one way or the other may not be terribly accurate...but there is more to cruise happiness than $...or is that £! :D

cost of living is i`m sure compared with earnings in the US (we support a bloated and inefficient bureaucracy) but I agree with Shelfinch our cruise prices are better :cool:

Martha, er Martita...........regarding your post #11.

The Odyssey's T/A in '09 ends in FLL on 11/10; the Legend's begins on 11/11, a one day gap, not four.......so, just fly back to Lisbon and get back on the ship, it's already the next day.

We're thinking about it.....how many cruisers have ever done b-2-b T/A's in the same direction?

hi Shelagh. Assume Larry is OK now with you planning further cruises. Thats great. We booked short stay in NYC sailing back on QM2 then changed our minds. Were then told deposit was non refundable but were able to transfer it to new cruise on Seabourn. We were charged £100 admin. Why are you talking dollars or is that exchange rate working ? Of course no one can be sure what goes on once the EU interferes. Hope you can sort it out, sounds most unfair.

best wishes David

Thanks David for enquiring about Larry. He is fine now (apart from having to take lots of medication). We will see how he gets on on our first cruise since November (March 9th)!

Fran & Dooley,

I was thinking of disembarking the Odyssey in Ft. Lauderdale on Nov. 10th (TA 2009) and flying to Lisbon to board the Spirit for her Transatlantic to the America's on Nov. 15th. Yes. the Legend leaves Lisbon on Nov. 11th ~~~~wow :confused: who could manage this?

Shefinch, happy to hear Larry is so much better and you're booking great cruises again!:p

Martita B.

Siverseas do have cancellation charges but only starting 120 days prior to departure as per their conditions below. I agree it is still better than other lines in the UK

"

Should it be necessary to cancel your reservation, you or your travel agent should contact Silversea’s Reservations Department by telephone as soon as possible and subsequently submit your cancellation in writing. Cruise and air tickets must be returned to Silversea before a refund can be processed. If your cancellation request is received more than 120 days prior to your initial sailing date, a full refund of the amount already paid to Silversea will be made. Cancellation requests received within 120 days of the initial sailing date will be subject to the following charges, regardless of suite resale:

• 120 – 91 days prior to your initial sailing date: USD $200 per person

• 90 – 61 days prior to your initial sailing date: 10% of the total fare

• 60 – 31 days prior to your initial sailing date: 20% of the total fare

• 30 – 15 days prior to your initial sailing date: 50% of the total fare

• 14 – 0 days prior to your initial sailing date, or non-appearance at the time of sailing: 100% of the total fare

Silversea’s cancellation penalties are strictly enforced."

Fran & Dooley,

I was thinking of disembarking the Odyssey in Ft. Lauderdale on Nov. 10th (TA 2009) and flying to Lisbon to board the Spirit for her Transatlantic to the America's on Nov. 15th. Yes. the Legend leaves Lisbon on Nov. 11th ~~~~wow :confused: who could manage this?

Shefinch, happy to hear Larry is so much better and you're booking great cruises again!:p

Martita B.

Thanks Martita!

Fran

Let's start planning a special small dinner party in honor of Dooley for the Odyssey TA Crossing in 2009 ! We'll have some sea days ~~

I'll help with the dinner party invitations, decorations and favors!

We need to celebrate!

Happy Valentines's Day

Martita B.

Hi Martita,

Sure, in fact we'll have lots to celebrate on the 8th of November on the Oddysey; that will mark our 140th Seabourn day, entitling us to that "freebee"! So, let's plan on a gala on the 8th: we should be just east of the Bermuda triangle at that time.

Let's start posting to our T/A crossing post; it's had little action!

Fran.

Has anyone gotten a confirmed space on the World Cruise? I thought the openings were to occur in February. I have my fingers crossed for Legs II & III.

There are legs of the World Cruise that are open; it is not just the full cruise. It is only the shorter legs (of less than about 30 days) that are not yet open

Archived