Cost of Taxi from Southhampton Piero to London

Pepi

Hi,

I am trying to find out cost of taxi from crusie pier to hotel in downtown London. Cost of car service through crusie line is way too expensive.

I know we can do the train, but we really want to see what a taxi would run and if we need to set it up beforehand or if there are taxis at the pier.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

You do know it's about 85 miles from the dockside to central London? I don't know how much a taxi from the dock would cost - or even if they'd actually be prepared to do a trip like that, on demand - but I think a private hire would be £160 or more.

I just looked on a couple of websites and using London City airport as a destination ( as this would be about the same as going into the city) got quotes of between £183 and £210 one way. I'm sure the train or transfer would be cheaper.

Simon

Its much cheaper to prebook a taxi than negotiate at the cruise pier.

The going rate for a car is about 160-190 GBP.

If you have lots of luggage or there are more than 4 of you FCMBS does an 8 seat van with room for 16 larges cases for 200 GBP to any Central London hotel.

Wherever you dock at Southampton you are less than 2 miles from the station, so the taxi fare there should be no more than £10 (or there may be a ship transfer). Trains run frequently to London Waterloo (which is just south of Waterloo Bridge). Single fare is currently £29.70. There is no need to book in advance and the trip takes about 1.5 hrs (according to which train you get). At the other end you can either use the tube, or if you have a fair bit of luggage (which is probably the case!) there will be loads of taxis at Waterloo.

Simon

We have a large group of people on our cruise who ahve arranged a 16 person van with tour features (stopping here and there, such as Stonhenge) for £525. Split 16 ways that was a bit under £33 each. Unfortunately they are filled up and luggage space has become very tight besides so we missed out. But this was all arranged and subscribed to via message posts in the Roll Call thread for our cruise.

Our plan now is to take either the train or a National Express bus to London and taxi from there (whever "there" is) to our hotel near the Euston station. I was having a very difficult time with the National Express web site but basically the price is £34 (£17 for disabled wife in wheelchair). I'm not sure what the train cost would be.

In order to make the transfer more managable we have strived to pack everything into one largish roller suitcase each with one carryon (hung on roller case handle) so I can pull both while she wheels. I suspect on intercity train this is "normal" to have luggage but once in London we don't want to drag a bunch of stuff on the Tube so will take a taxi for the final leg. The whole trip should still cost less that cruise line transfer for $135 (dollars) each.

Wherever you dock at Southampton you are less than 2 miles from the station, so the taxi fare there should be no more than £10 (or there may be a ship transfer). Trains run frequently to London Waterloo (which is just south of Waterloo Bridge). Single fare is currently £29.70. There is no need to book in advance and the trip takes about 1.5 hrs (according to which train you get). At the other end you can either use the tube, or if you have a fair bit of luggage (which is probably the case!) there will be loads of taxis at Waterloo.

I'll agree, "Southampton Central" station is close to the cruise ships, and the rail service is nice and comfortable (avoid it 1st thing in the am during rush hour). South Western rail then operate frequent trains to London (3 per hr), taking just under 90 minutes. I note that you can also take the train to Paddington by changing at Reading (not that big a station, so it's fairly easy), and it may be easier to get from Paddington -> Euston rather than from Waterloo -> Houston (which is the other side of the Thames). Worth looking into booking in advance, sometimes the tickets are cheaper.

Useful links;

Map of Southampton Central (and how near the docks it is)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Southampton+Central,+Southampton,+United+Kingdom&sll=53.784535,-2.394606&sspn=0.008342,0.020771&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=0,50.907487,-1.413536&ll=50.907931,-1.416292&spn=0.017806,0.041542&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr&*****=0

National Rail; (all UK rail enquiries)

http://nationalrail.co.uk/

Waterloo -> Houston (which is the other side of the Thames).

:)

And, crucially, the other side of the Atlantic!

But I know what you mean. Hmm, which *is* easier? - Paddington - Euston or Waterloo - Euston? Probably the latter, as you say.

I note that you can also take the train to Paddington by changing at Reading (not that big a station, so it's fairly easy), and it may be easier to get from Paddington -> Euston rather than from Waterloo -> Euston (which is the other side of the Thames). Worth looking into booking in advance, sometimes the tickets are cheaper.
My advice for a cruise passenger is that this is not worth doing. The direct train from Southampton to Waterloo is very easy, and Waterloo -> Euston by taxi is neither difficult nor long.

We have a large group of people on our cruise who ahve arranged a 16 person van with tour features (stopping here and there, such as Stonhenge) for £525. Split 16 ways that was a bit under £33 each. Unfortunately they are filled up and luggage space has become very tight besides so we missed out. But this was all arranged and subscribed to via message posts in the Roll Call thread for our cruise.

A roll-call organized trip is the only way to go. Our on TA a few years ago, someone organized a coach from Rome to Civitivecchia. We ended up with 49 people in a 50 seat coach, and it cost us 10E each vs an $80 cruise transfer.

Archived