Burning photos to CDs on ship?

jkeitch

I do the same. I haul my laptop with me just for downloading images and/or video. Normally I don't need it because I have a couple of large memory cards, but video eats up a lot of memory, and sometimes I have to offload it. It's also fun to look at the day's photos at night, and that's best done on a bigger screen than the LCD of the camera. :)

Thanks for the link but i think I'll pass on buying a new burner. The one in my laptop works fine but I don't want to bring it on board - i want to enjoy my vacation. Plus it's a 17" so will take up space in my luggage.

I will bring some CDs and if I need to I might be able to find a fellow traveler I can befriend.

Thanks.

I think they will it do it for you at the photo shop.

They will burn them for you at the photo shop on board, however it's a hefty charge. You can always look for a hour photo shop in one of the prots that will burn the disc for you. I know St.Thomas has one in the mall right where the ship docks (not sure what ports you are going to).

I just paid $27.99 each for a pair of 4GB Sandisk Ultra II CF cards and $34.99 for a two-pack of 2GB Ultra II SD cards at Costco.

I don't have any idea how prolific a shooter you are, but with prices this low, it's hard to resist stocking up on "trip memory" (My term for memory that just sits except for vacation time).

I keep a 8GB Sandisk CF in my main camera and a 4GB SDHC in the 24x7 camera, but travel with 2x to 4x that much, depending on the length of the trip. I never clear the cards until the photos are saved and verified on the home system. I do copy the images to an Epson P2000 viewer that by wife got me to replace my laptop on trips, but that's my own slight paranoia.

Cards seldom, if ever go bad as long as you stay away from the eBay specials.

My 2¢... and an article on how much memory to take:

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/VivaLaResolution.htm

Dave

Thanks for the link but i think I'll pass on buying a new burner. The one in my laptop works fine but I don't want to bring it on board - i want to enjoy my vacation. Plus it's a 17" so will take up space in my luggage.

I will bring some CDs and if I need to I might be able to find a fellow traveler I can befriend.

Thanks.

Why do you need to burn it to a disk during the cruise, may I ask?

If that is so, it's even more puzzling. A 4 GB card holds more than 6 CD disks. I don't see the compactness behind this reasoning.

True, a 4 gig card would be the way to go, but perhaps they only have 512 meg cards?

Personally, I always take my Macbook with me when I travel, so I'm covered.

Recommendations for the simplest program for digital photo albums. I'm slightly computer challenged but would love an easy program to make albums with music, titles, etc. of our trips. Thanks.

Bonnie

Adobe Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements combo for about $ 120. You can get either one if only interested in one.

Photoshop Elements is the simpler but powerful relative of the Photoshop program. It handles picture retouching or to remove red eyes, make dark scenes more well lighted.

Premiere Elements handles the video edits, makes titles,scroll credits, adds music,etc. You can even import the pictures that you crop and modifed into Premiere and make a both still and moving picture presentation.

Photoshop Elements can do still picture slideshow with music, added titles, couple of neat transitions, etc.

This is a good entry level software(s) and also has enough capacity to grow as your skills and imagination imcreases.

Recommendations for the simplest program for digital photo albums. I'm slightly computer challenged but would love an easy program to make albums with music, titles, etc. of our trips. Thanks.

Bonnie

Adobe Elements is a great program. Easier than ever in version 6, but very powerful. Has a bit of a learning curve, but can replace the $600 Photoshop for most users. Free trial available:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/

Ulead products by Corel are also very easy and produce great results. Their CD/DVD Slideshow software is under $50 and available as a free trial download:

http://www.ulead.com/dps/runme.htm

Might be less of a learning curve if you're "challenged", as you say.:)

Good luck!

Dave

We were on the Serenade of the Seas last week and someone wanted some pics from our memory stick. It would've cost $14.95 to burn a CD, but the machine wasn't working.

They did go in a port (forget which one) and burn about 4-5 cd's for $10 though.

We bought a 4GB memory stick for the cruise, which allowd over 2,000 pics. I took over 900 pics and didn't feel the need to burn any. Our friends though had been travelling the world for 2 months and needed to burn Cd's every once in a while!

If that is so, it's even more puzzling. A 4 GB card holds more than 6 CD disks. I don't see the compactness behind this reasoning.

Also, some older cameras have a limit on the the size of memory card they can use. I think my Olympus C5050 has a 1 gig limit on CF and 512 or 1 gig for xD.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will be taking my 4GB and my wife's 2GB CF cards so I'm hoping that will be enough but i just wanted to know my options in case we go over. Unfortunately I don't have a Costco in my area and I only buy top brand high speed cards for my DSLR so they are not exactly cheap.

Will also have my wife's digicam and a friends underwater digicam which we have 1GB SD cards for each so I should be all right.

I would love to have one of the portable Epson photo viewers. I still have a few more lenses I'd like to buy first though so it will have to wait a few more years i guess.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will be taking my 4GB and my wife's 2GB CF cards so I'm hoping that will be enough but i just wanted to know my options in case we go over. Unfortunately I don't have a Costco in my area and I only buy top brand high speed cards for my DSLR so they are not exactly cheap.

Will also have my wife's digicam and a friends underwater digicam which we have 1GB SD cards for each so I should be all right.

I would love to have one of the portable Epson photo viewers. I still have a few more lenses I'd like to buy first though so it will have to wait a few more years i guess.

Try Amazon.com or B&H Photo for CF cards. Good prices! The SanDisk Ultra IIs are really rather fast, more than sufficient for anything below the pro level. And even then, unless you plan to shoot more than 40-50 frames in a burst at 5+ fps, quality is far more important than speed.

I usually have an 8GB Extreme IV in my A700, but for portraits, landscapes, or even 10-15 shot bursts at full speed, I can't tell if I have one of the Extreme IIIs or Ultra IIs in it.

Burst speed is more dependent on the camera's buffer and interface controller than raw card speed. If you are shooting landscapes and interiors on a trip, any card can keep up with one frame every couple of minutes! I've found that stepping back from the top speed, but sticking with the quality brands, you can save a lot of money on "trip memory".

I've used genuine SanDisk (I say "genuine" since it's the biggest seller, hence the most counterfeited) since I went digital in 2002 and have never had a failure. Lexar 133x is pretty cheap now as well.

Happy shooting!

Dave

P.S. Do get the Epson when you can...they are just incredible!

Archived