Dining/Food on Pacific Dawn.

Alessandrina

Having sailed on her as Regal Princess, I know there have been some changes made for dining/food options.

What are the charges at the Bravo trattoria (pizzeria)? Where do they have the Steakhouse located and what is the cost? Does one have to pay at the Grill for a hamburger and french fries? Does Anytime Dining co-exist with Traditional Dining in the same restaurant? Is there a "coffee card" that one can purchase?

Hope to sail on her as Pacific Dawn - need to save lots of money as the cruises out of Australia seem rather expensive!

Thanks much.

Cheers from Canada.

Having sailed on her as Regal Princess, I know there have been some changes made for dining/food options.

What are the charges at the Bravo trattoria (pizzeria)? Where do they have the Steakhouse located and what is the cost? Does one have to pay at the Grill for a hamburger and french fries? Does Anytime Dining co-exist with Traditional Dining in the same restaurant? Is there a "coffee card" that one can purchase?

Hope to sail on her as Pacific Dawn - need to save lots of money as the cruises out of Australia seem rather expensive!

Thanks much.

Cheers from Canada.

hi, i havent been on the dawn but going by the docs the bravo trattoria is priced per item and is open 5pm till late and at the grill for lunch 2pm till 5pm its price per item too

they have a deck bbq (weather permitting) 11.30am till 2pm no charge

maybe someone who has been on the dawn can help with more info

No deck bbq,the steak house is in part of the buffet,and the rest of the buffet becomes anytime evening buffet dinning? This just means the buffet has table cloths and napkins with help youself meals the same food as the dinning room,or should I say the dinning room has the same meals as the buffet! In my honest opinion and can only judge by one other cruise a few months before my last ,on the Dawn in Jan 18,the food is not of the same quility and standard as it was on the Pacific sun by at least 1/2 dont expect fine dinning on the Dawn.

Den.

Thanks much.

Cheers from Canada.

Pizzeria - priced per item

Hamburger & fries priced per item

There is no traditional dining

There is no coffee card

Sun Princess (and Dawn Princess from October) are cruising from Australia as Princess ships too. Some itineraries are similar to Pacific Dawn. The dining setup on SP was similar to what you have experienced on Princess, except they do not have anytime dining. Burgers, Hot dogs, fries, pizza, room service, do not incur additional charges, and the buffet is 24hr. Coffee card and coke card are available

There is no coffee card

Sun Princess (and Dawn Princess from October) are cruising from Australia as Princess ships too. Some itineraries are similar to Pacific Dawn. The dining setup on SP was similar to what you have experienced on Princess, except they do not have anytime dining. Burgers, Hot dogs, fries, pizza, room service, do not incur additional charges, and the buffet is 24hr. Coffee card and coke card are available

I wonder if P&O will change the way they are doing things on the P/Dawn in the future?

At the moment the P/Dawn is "all fur coat and no Knickers"

In the future past cruisers might opt for princess thinking its got a lot extra,whereas P&O as just made it that way by just giving less?

Perhaps this is the plan anyway?

Den.

Den

I wonder if P&O will change the way they are doing things on the P/Dawn in the future?

At the moment the P/Dawn is "all fur coat and no Knickers"

In the future past cruisers might opt for princess thinking its got a lot extra,whereas P&O as just made it that way by just giving less?

Perhaps this is the plan anyway?

Den.

Den

All relative Den,

Nothing is "free", as everything supplied will have cash extracted one way or another. Remember too, Sun Princess has 15% service charge on drinks (yes, includes paid coffee, soft drink too) and higher AWS (optional)

I am in a bit of a muddle :confused: about extra dining charges for snacks, pizza, sundaes etc. I figure it is OK to charge extra for a premium meal, but if you eat more pizza & hamburgers - you eat less in the dining room. As much as you do eat onboard, there is still a limit.

Even the "expensive" Princess $135 balcony dinner is made up of $80 Moet, $15 photo, $16 cocktails, $20 flowers and $20 service charge. Doesn't leave much expense for the lobster\steak\canapes\personal waiters.

Fur coat & no knickers?

Sounds like too much fun to be a bad thing!! ;)

I found the food on the our PD cruise to be the same as on our PS cruise. And yes, we loved it.

The charges at the grill and very cheap. HUGE hamburger $4 ( I think-never had one). The garlic fries are yummy & you get heaps of them for $2.

Karen

I found the food on the our PD cruise to be the same as on our PS cruise. And yes, we loved it.

The charges at the grill and very cheap. HUGE hamburger $4 ( I think-never had one). The garlic fries are yummy & you get heaps of them for $2.

Karen

After having a few weeks to reflect,I found the food on this Dawn cruise to be no where near as good as our may 07 sun cruise,it was ok though,just not as good!

And there was no deck bbq or lunch buffet left out late for those returning from the island as the Sun did?

The grill should be free,its cooked in the same kitchen,same food store and next to the kitchen, Just another way to make a bit extra in my mind.

Perhaps I was just lucky on my may 07 cruise? But I have also seen many photo's of the food that was presented on the Pacific sun which looked as good as I had,but very little of the Dawn food?

They may have made a better effort on the first few cruises?

Or not botherd as much this time as it was school holidays?

Den.

Thanks for all your replies; they were most helpful. I'm surprised that there a lot of small charges for the grill, patisserie, pizza, room service, etc. as these were included on the Regal. Well, yes, I realize it is now a different cruise line...

On a Formal night, is there a special lobster dinner?

Is the buffet open 24 hours?

Thanks.

Thanks for all your replies; they were most helpful. I'm surprised that there a lot of small charges for the grill, patisserie, pizza, room service, etc. as these were included on the Regal. Well, yes, I realize it is now a different cruise line...

On a Formal night, is there a special lobster dinner?

Is the buffet open 24 hours?

Thanks.

For Pacific Dawn, no on both counts. There is 24hr room service, but priced per item.

There is no coffee card

Hi all

Can you tell me more about the coke card & coffee card. How much & where can you purchase them.

Thanks

Hi all

Can you tell me more about the coke card & coffee card. How much & where can you purchase them.

Thanks

They are not available on Pacific Dawn. Is part of the comparative info for Allessandrina, and are available on Sun Princess in several places soon after boarding.

Yes..now under the P&O Australia flag, the old Regal has gone from 4* to 3* as Pacific Dawn, at the end of the day you get what you pay for, you want the Princess room service, grills, lobsters etc instead of seafood extender, then you have to pay Princess prices instead of P&O prices, such is life.

Still and all the prices you pay for a PD cruise are quite reasonable. Might give PD a go one day and see for myself how it compares with Regal Princess we were on last year.

Cheers..Les:cool:

NSWP, I have seen prices for PD and I think they are high....at about $200 USD/per person/per day. Usually we can find a cruise for $100/per day or even less, of course not in your waters, but in the Caribbean or Mexico.

Are there deals to be had for the ship I am interested in (Pacific Dawn)? Is it better to book a cruise in Australia last-minute?

Thanks.

NSWP, I have seen prices for PD and I think they are high....at about $200 USD/per person/per day. Usually we can find a cruise for $100/per day or even less, of course not in your waters, but in the Caribbean or Mexico.

Are there deals to be had for the ship I am interested in (Pacific Dawn)? Is it better to book a cruise in Australia last-minute?

Thanks.

I was shocked at the cheap prices that were advertized in the Sydney papers on my previose Pacific sun cruise,and booking from Perth(almost a world away but still in mainland Australia)I felt ripped off as it seemed that I had paid at least double that of some Sydneysiders.But on the Dawn i think I got a really good deal on a balcony and some from Sydney paid more than me!

I think the Dawn is almost fully booked for this year so the specials wont be as good as they were for the pacific sun until the novalty of the new ship wears off.

Den

Hello!

I have to say that we missed the BBQ at lunch and I was not as impressed with the buffets also the desserts were sad.

I really would not both with the steak house again on the Dawn unless they change where it is.

But I did like the Dawn and think she is loverly (mum Iris hated it)

So I will learn not to compere them and to understand they are all what we make them

By the way Iris and I are booked on the Sun in May.:D

We paid brochure fare for our Dawn cruise in November and only paid $120 per person per day.

Karen

The price breaker in the brochuer for our standard balcony was $246 per day And the price for our free minisuite upgrade was $357 per day:eek:

Give me some more please:D

Den

The price breaker in the brochuer for our standard balcony was $246 per day And the price for our free minisuite upgrade was $357 per day:eek:

Give me some more please:D

Den

Didn't have a balcony or a suite.....we are a family of 5 and I refuse to holiday without my kids.

Karen

Thanks.

Yes you can pick up good deals.

We booked in June 07 for our upcoming feb cruise and I think I got a great deal.

I worked out that I'm only paying $96 per day.

• 2 weeks later...

We got a deal on Pacific Dawn for 29th Feb where the children sail for free. There is 4 of us and it works out to $84 a day per person, which is why we booked it in july last year. I think it's a bargain, and we got an upgrade to an outside cabin on the dolphin deck from an outside on the plaza deck.

DW and I travelled on the Pacific Dawn and this being my first cruise, I cannot compare the Dawn to any other ships, but I have travelled here in Australia and the USA extensively with work, and always stay in Hyatt, Hilton and Sheraton hotels, dining at the same establishments. I can say, without hesitation, the food in the buffet in the Café Del Sol, and the plated food in the Palm Court, was equal to any food I have experienced in my travels. I will agree the plated dining is not silver service, but you are not sailing on the QE2, and only get what you pay for.

We got a deal on Pacific Dawn for 29th Feb where the children sail for free. There is 4 of us and it works out to $84 a day per person, which is why we booked it in july last year. I think it's a bargain, and we got an upgrade to an outside cabin on the dolphin deck from an outside on the plaza deck.

We got a good deal for our April cruise - missed out on the children travel free for grandson No 2 - booked too early. But our cruise works out to $82 per person per day and we were upgraded from Plaza to Baja. So happy with that!!:)

Especially considering our last cruise on Dawn was at the other end of the scale @ $170 per day for dolphin deck!!

Archived