Preventing Rashes on Ship

You might want to check with your doctor if there is anything he can give you but I just drink a lot of water and that seems to help, I would guess it cleanses the system.

I guess I need to drink all my water for the day before the foo foo drinks:rolleyes:

Ah yea, the alcohol is terrible for the swelling, but it doesn't stop me!:p:D

I was really bad. I had bought a dress the Thursday before we left on Saturday. I couldn't wear it by the following Wed. The last 2 days of the cruise I could barely walk because my feet hurt so bad. The only shoes I could wear were my flip flops. I am hoping it was a combination of flying 5 hours the day before getting on the ship.

I was really bad. I had bought a dress the Thursday before we left on Saturday. I couldn't wear it by the following Wed. The last 2 days of the cruise I could barely walk because my feet hurt so bad. The only shoes I could wear were my flip flops. I am hoping it was a combination of flying 5 hours the day before getting on the ship.

Wow, that is really bad, definitely talk to your doctor!

My 5 yo daughter has very sensitive skin and often gets rashes from sunscreen. Thanks for the tip about avoiding sunscreens with PABA. I also bought a fleece sleep sack for her to use instead of sleeping right on the sheets. I'm hoping this will help. I refuse to bring my own towels though! :eek:

I used to have problems with water retention on cruises, too. Yes, the desalinated water they use on the ship still has more salt in it than most of us are probably accustomed to. However, the edema we get can also be caused by higher sugars and fats in our diet, and alcohol. So, here's my little balancing act:

If I drink alcohol, I drink champagne. Dry, white wine seems to affect me less.

No sugary drinks at all. Iced tea with artificial sweetner in small amounts.

I take a little extra diuretic on the cruise. Not a lot, because you don't want to get dehydrated, but enough to help flush out your system. If you aren't used to taking one, then something every other day.

Severely curb your bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice intake. These high carb items are like a sponge in my system. I save the carbs for desserts.

WALK every single day for at least 30 minutes. Mild exercise has a "squeezing the sponge" effect on me.

This actually helps me not gain weight on cruises, too, but it's probably more just keeping the water/edema off.

I used to have problems with water retention on cruises, too. Yes, the desalinated water they use on the ship still has more salt in it than most of us are probably accustomed to. However, the edema we get can also be caused by higher sugars and fats in our diet, and alcohol. So, here's my little balancing act:

If I drink alcohol, I drink champagne. Dry, white wine seems to affect me less.

No sugary drinks at all. Iced tea with artificial sweetner in small amounts.

I take a little extra diuretic on the cruise. Not a lot, because you don't want to get dehydrated, but enough to help flush out your system. If you aren't used to taking one, then something every other day.

Severely curb your bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice intake. These high carb items are like a sponge in my system. I save the carbs for desserts.

WALK every single day for at least 30 minutes. Mild exercise has a "squeezing the sponge" effect on me.

This actually helps me not gain weight on cruises, too, but it's probably more just keeping the water/edema off.

Thank you so much for the information. I am going to make an appointment with my urologist to see if he can give me something. I have bad kidneys to begin with, so it probably hit me harder.

Hi,

I remember reading ( a thread) about some cream / gel that someone was using to reduce the swelling of the feet.

If you want I can look for it, I should be able to find it since I did post on that thread as well. There were some other suggestions as well.

Wes

Hi,

I remember reading ( a thread) about some cream / gel that someone was using to reduce the swelling of the feet.

If you want I can look for it, I should be able to find it since I did post on that thread as well. There were some other suggestions as well.

Wes

That would be great.

thanks

I got a rash while on my last cruise. It started on my face and spread all over my body...just in time for Formal Nite!! Put hydracortizone crean all over and took Benedryl that nite and slept REALLY good! When I woke up it was much better.

Never did find out what caused it but you can bet I'll be bringing my hydrocortizone cream and benedryl next time. That stuff costs alot in the ship's store! (it was worth it though)

Rashes happen...just something else to put in the travel medicine kit.

And yes...I do bathe :p

I think it's the arnica in the Elemis product that makes it work for the leg swelling. I googled arnica and leg swelling and I got numerous links to organic product sites where you can get an arnica-based gel that sounds a lot like the Elemis product for less than $20. I may try my local health foods store as well.

I suffer from edema also and rashes but I don't seem to have the problem on board that I have at home...my opiinions only and what works for me...

1st of all...eat watermelon everyday and a few times a day if needed instead of water...it is a natural diaretic...

2nd ask the staff serving food...eg, if you want eggs for breakfast ask them not to salt the food...

3rd a good massage might help...but remember they don't do specialized massages and some may not do it with the swelling...I had one done on Radiance (but I get lymphedema) and it helped but was not a lymphatic massage...

And regarding the bed linen...every hotel I go to I bring my own sheets/pillow that I put on the bed and over me because I break out so bad from dyes and perfumes...so far in 6 cruise, I have not gotten a rash from the linen on any RC ship...I understand that the reason for that is...since they need to maintain certain standards they don't use detergents with those additives...and the water on board is distilled which helps remove chemicals and such

I hope this helps...

Bring your own remedies for anything you may encounter because some things can be impossible to find if needed...

I think it's the arnica in the Elemis product that makes it work for the leg swelling. I googled arnica and leg swelling and I got numerous links to organic product sites where you can get an arnica-based gel that sounds a lot like the Elemis product for less than $20. I may try my local health foods store as well.

Hi,

would you know if this product with arnica is similar to the Elemis gel ?

http://www.hamptonct.com/index.cgi/pid=2616/Asquith-Somerset-Arnica-Leg-Foot-Balm.htm

Wes

I'm stickin' with my post on page 1. I still feel it was something in the water in Jamaica for me (or it could be anywhere). The parasites will hover towards the top of the water. If it's something you are ingesting, it will usually hit your entire body. When it's limited to your upper 1/3 and you've been in the ocean, and it progressively goes away when you don't re-expose yourself ~ bit if it's something you eat through the whole trip, it'll stay with you and get worse.

Last year in 2007 on the Carnival Fascination a bunch of us had mild itchy rashes right inbetween our necks and bosom on the chest area. Not life threatning but annoying. I will be bringing Cortisone cream this time ;)

EDIT: I know bedbug bites - a friend had them in her home. Those are insect bites. A rash is more of an irritation. Its usually allergies to food additives and preservatives they use to keep the food fresh or chemicals used in the waters we swim and shower in. You could ring Benadryl and Cortisone with you. I know I am.

I bet you ran into sea lice. It's alot more common than you think. It sounds gross but it's actually the microscopic larvae of jellyfish. My child and I have gotten rashes from it plenty of times, in the Caribbean and in the Florida Panhandle in the crystal clear beautiful water. Whatever sea lice is it tends to cause itching and rashes where it gets caught in your bathing suit such as on your chest and bottom. It seems to affect women more than men because we cover up more. Order a lotion called Safe Sea and you won't have it again. Put in on under your bathing suit...everywhere especially your backside. Also the chest area is a bad place. It also says the lotion protects against jellyfish. I take a bottle with me every time I'm in salt water and I haven't had a problem with rashes since.

Here's a link to Palm Beach County where they talk about it

http://www.pbchd.com/epidemiology/prevention_pointers_sea_lice-june-2007.html

Hi I also am a nurse from Maine special hello to MEGUIDE !! bed bugs will bite at night and it sounded as if she had developed the rash after the day was done and the bites usually occur on the belly or back in warm spots my guess is the beach we often forget that the places we go are very hot climates with not so clean beaches and even if they are the climate alone lends itself to breading of different types of parasites so my advice is to take a good shower when back on board and seek m.d. if a rash occurs a.s.a.p so it doesnt spread for those of you who smelled a troll you know who you are !!! you are not helpfull not to mention not very nice!!!:(

Archived