Preventing Rashes on Ship

I have heard of quite a few people on a variety of ships having rashes (bed bugs?) on their necks and shoulders - does anyone have any good suggestions for an antiseptic spray that might work??:confused: Just as a precaution.

ROFLMAO! If this post doesnt SCREAM troll, I dont know what does!!!

My avice to you, if you want to prevent rashes on the ship is to do exactly what I do, and I have never had a rash resulting from being on a cruise ship....

BATHE

I don't think there are any "over the counter" remedies for bed bugs! (Let's hope that's not what folks have!!!!) Bed bugs are really hard to get rid of--the entire cabin would have to be fumigated and every square inch cleaned--since those bugs hide everywhere!

Hopefully, folks have a heat rash, or sand flea bites!

Last year in 2007 on the Carnival Fascination a bunch of us had mild itchy rashes right inbetween our necks and bosom on the chest area. Not life threatning but annoying. I will be bringing Cortisone cream this time ;)

EDIT: I know bedbug bites - a friend had them in her home. Those are insect bites. A rash is more of an irritation. Its usually allergies to food additives and preservatives they use to keep the food fresh or chemicals used in the waters we swim and shower in. You could ring Benadryl and Cortisone with you. I know I am.

Last year in 2007 on the Carnival Fascination a bunch of us had mild itchy rashes right inbetween our necks and bosom on the chest area. Not life threatning but annoying. I will be bringing Cortisone cream this time ;)

Most likely sun poisoning or similar.

Fortunately bed bugs are not very prevalent on cruise ships; but they can happen. I do not believe that there are any commercial spreays that are effective in preventing bed bugs. Your best bet is to carefully inspect your bed and nearby carpet or furniture before unpacking your clothes or lyingin the bed for evidence of bed bugs and notifying ship personnel if you do find any.

Here is a link to an interesting bed bug article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11915026/

ROFLMAO! If this post doesnt SCREAM troll, I dont know what does!!!

My avice to you, if you want to prevent rashes on the ship is to do exactly what I do, and I have never had a rash resulting from being on a cruise ship....

BATHE

I do not think that bathing would have any impact on bed bugs.

Most likely sun poisoning or similar.

Well we've had sun poisoning and this def wasn't it. It was very very mild. Now I am remembering how much we used the eh hem bathroom on the ship with upset stomachs that cruise too. I wonder if it wasn't allergies at all but a mild virus. There was alot of us in the group who had these symptoms

As a nurse I have seen plenty of bed bug bites.

They occur mostly at the feet and lower legs.

rash you are talking about is probably sun rash or sensitivity to

sun screens and lotions.

I can not use more than an spf 35 or I get a rash.

sun screens and lotions.

nm...

sun screens and lotions.

Ah-ha! It WAS the sunscreen that caused my rash in St. Lucia!!!

Thanks!

ok I have to say something... I am a manager at a hotel so I have this question all the time. first off it it was bed bugs they would be all over your body not a set area... Sounds to me like a rash or something else..

I'm from Maine and have been on a number of cruises and have developed rashes on the 3-4 day in. I noticed that salt water in the pools and the drying effect of the hot tubs made it worse. I have two recommendations for people who find themselves developing rashes. First, check to see if your medication has a precaution about "sun sensitivity". I take several medications and my doctor has given me a BP med without the dieuretic(when I travel) and that has helped a lot. I also met a nurse on one of the cruises who suggested I stay away from PABA in sunscreen. There are

many sunscreens that do not have PABA. I have found that rashes that appeared on my shins and forearms is lessened or nonexistent.

Hope this helps. I still travel with Benedryl and anti itch cream. PS..If you take a sleep aid like Tylenol PM, the PM is benedryl. You will have the antihistimine in your system for the following day. It is especially helpful for the "sun rash" issue.

Hope this helps someone.

I didn't have a rash, but for some reason I swelled up all over. I couldn't even wear my shoes home, I had to wear my flip flops. My Dr. said it was probably due to sodium content in the food. I wouldn't think there would be that much sodium in the food.

This time I plan on bringing bottle water, and making sure I kept track of how much water I am drinking. I don't think I drank enough last time.

This past cruise in June, I began itching during dinner one night, it was horrible. When we got back to our cabin, my neck, shoulders and upper chest and arm area were all red and bumpy. This was the day we were in Jamaica, and I stood out in the water for quite a while (up to my chin). My husband thought maybe there was some type of gnat/bug/parasite at the top of the water that might have done this. I did shower (smart-alecks !) when we got back on board. Luckilly, I had packed a tiny tube of Cortaid, which really helped the itch. It went away after about 24 hrs. and quite a few applications of the Cortaid. This beach on Jamaica was part of an RC excursion. It was a filthy beach at a run down resort. I believe it was parasites in the water ~ makes the most sense.

I didn't have a rash, but for some reason I swelled up all over. I couldn't even wear my shoes home, I had to wear my flip flops. My Dr. said it was probably due to sodium content in the food. I wouldn't think there would be that much sodium in the food.

This time I plan on bringing bottle water, and making sure I kept track of how much water I am drinking. I don't think I drank enough last time.

Very common on cruises, my doctor said it is not only the food but the salt air.

What about the Sea Lice at Labadee?? I didn't test the water. :rolleyes:

Once I also went to the spa for a pedicure and the girl told me I just had to try this milk based creme...I'm allergic to milk normally so I have no idea why I tried that and I had the biggest RASH all over my arms and chest/neck where I had just rubbed it on to get it off my hands - then I went to bed without showering it off. Yeah that was fun!!!

I think like previous, posters we're taking our body out of its normal element. I can get irritations just from the laundry soap at most hotels on sheets and towels.

Archived