It's not a boat!!

Anni_M

JB's song is called "Boat Drinks" not Ship Drinks".

I call it a boat sometimes (on purpose) too although I know it is actually a ship. Like when I am talking to a friend and say "Boy, I can't wait until I'm on that "big ol' boat", with a big ol' umbrella drink in my hand. :D

I grew up watching the Love Boat so I may use boat or ship because I'm not trying to impress anyone by thinking too hard on vacation.

One of my pet peeves about my first cruise was all the know-it-alls correcting my 'boat' usage by trying to force 'ship' down my throat. I found this really rude like they were trying to put me in my place, back in steerage. It would have been acceptable if it had been a crew member (but they most likely would have said it in a nicer way).

That felt good to finally get it out in the open.;):)

Well please mark me down as STUPID today. Which by the way I don't resemble that remark. We call it "the boat" because that's what we've always called it. I guess the producers and the creators of "The Love Boat" must be stupid too. Please there is no need to call people stupid just because of what they call the boat/ship. Get over it.

Umm, okay..because 'you've always called it a boat' means it is the right term?

Here's the bottom line...if you can stand in the middle and pee over the side, it's a boat, otherwise it's a ship.. And please don't let the Captain hear you calling his ship a boat; he will have you thrown overboard!

'Boats' are what we all played with in the bath tub and swimming pool..

Comprende?

I know it's called a ship, but I still call it a boat from time to time. Why? Because I want to. Because I really don't care if it annoys people. I don't think there is a single person alive that uses the correct word for everything all the time. I still call the back of the ship the back, the left side the left side, the right side the right side, the front the front, etc. I have better things to do then worry about terminology when everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about when I use the words I currently use. When someone talks about a cruise and says "boat", you know exactly what they are talking about. If they were calling it something completely random I'd understand, but if everyone understands everyone I just don't see the problem.

You wanna know one of my pet peeves? People who are bothered by something as insignificant as someone using the word "boat" in reference to a ship. :D

I guess you can't help what annoys you. I frequently get annoyed by insignificant things as well.

Josh,

Sorry, your excuses for not using/understanding (being too darn lazy) the correct nautical terms while on the high seas do not hold water. Learn the lingo!

Technically, it's not wrong to call it a boat.

boat

–noun 1.a vessel for transport by water, constructed to provide buoyancy by excluding water and shaped to give stability and permit propulsion. 2.a small ship, generally for specialized use: a fishing boat. 3.a small vessel carried for use by a large one, as a lifeboat: They lowered the boats for evacuation. 4.a ship.

You are wrong, unless you are referring to the little rubby ducky you played with in the bathtub when you were a kid. If you read this definition carefully, it does NOT refer to a 90,000+ ton vessel!

nuff said!

OP, you can't seriously be irritated by this can you? Telling someone they sound stupid because they say boat? You realize in one of your posts you said "I know there's differenct classes"?? I'm just saying, there are a lot of things out there that might irritate us, but calling people stupid because they call it a boat? Perhaps you could have used a term that wasn't so harsh... obviously, none of us are perfect ;)

Yes, and I can be irritated too.. Calling a ship a boat is an insult to all who understand nautical terms, including the captain of any ship..

Technically, it's not wrong to call it a boat.

boat

–noun 1.a vessel for transport by water, constructed to provide buoyancy by excluding water and shaped to give stability and permit propulsion. 2.a small ship, generally for specialized use: a fishing boat. 3.a small vessel carried for use by a large one, as a lifeboat: They lowered the boats for evacuation. 4.a ship.

And can you enlighten us with your profound experience on the high seas (other than cruising)?

Umm, okay..because 'you've always called it a boat' means it is the right term?

Here's the bottom line...if you can stand in the middle and pee over the side, it's a boat, otherwise it's a ship.. And please don't let the Captain hear you calling his ship a boat; he will have you thrown overboard!

'Boats' are what we all played with in the bath tub and swimming pool..

Comprende?

Well, I can stand in the middle of a Fantasy or Spirit Class and pee over the side....so I guess it's still a "BOAT".....LOL...... :D :D

What if i were to call it the "floaty thingy?"

At least i know i wouldn't be referred to as "stupid", after all, im not calling it a "boat" :p

Hope you enjoy your next cruise, and don't let all those "stupid" people get to ya :p

Happy Cruising!

And can you enlighten us with your profound experience on the high seas (other than cruising)?

WOW!! You need one of two things... a cruise, or valium :p Does this really upset you so bad? You were on a tirade!!!! And someone quotes the DEFINITION FROM THE DICTIONARY, and one of the definitions for "boat" is "ship" and this sends you through the roof :p WOW!!! You know, I've always called it a ship... but I think now, just for the heck of it, I'm with the Aaron Spelling guys... get me to the boat :p I might even join the Canadians and start calling it a boot :D

Oh my goodness, it never ceases to amaze me the petty things that get some people's panties in a bunch!! :rolleyes:

Some people just think they are so perfect, when actually THEY are the "stupid" ones. :D

Archived