It's not a boat!!

Anni_M

Answer this...

Why is something that is transported by ship called cargo, something that's transported by car called shipment? :)

Why is the place I park my car called a driveway and the roads I drive my car on called a parkway?:confused: :confused: :confused:

These roads can also be refered to as freeways but I have to pay to drive on them!!!!!:confused: :rolleyes:

You are wrong, unless you are referring to the little rubby ducky you played with in the bathtub when you were a kid. If you read this definition carefully, it does NOT refer to a 90,000+ ton vessel!

nuff said!

Yes, and I can be irritated too.. Calling a ship a boat is an insult to all who understand nautical terms, including the captain of any ship..

And can you enlighten us with your profound experience on the high seas (other than cruising)?

WOOOOOOOOOOO BIG BOY!!!!!!!:confused:

You need a Chill Pill! Or a few more umbrellas!:p

Personally I affectionally call it a Boat!:eek:

I only give pet names to things/people I have feelings for. Some good feelings, Some bad.;)

Like calling the vessel that transports me a "Boat". Or calling some of the people that have been in my life less desirable terms since they are some of the Bad side.

HMMMMMMMMMM

GET OVER IT!

When I am on a ship I call my cabin "home" "Are you going home, hon". "I'll think I'll go home and get changed".

I only get annoyed at the misuse of terms such as "Stewart and mustard" if the person using the terms is putting down someone else. Such as when they label people that say "boat" instead of "ship" "STUPID".

I would hope that any captain of a ship would have more class than to let a little thing like someone calling his ship a "boat" bother him. And if you pee off the side of any vehicle whether it is a boat, train or a ship you have absolutely no class. ;- )

I sure my pet peeves are not so petty.

When I am on a ship I call my cabin "home" "Are you going home, hon". "I'll think I'll go home and get changed".

I only get annoyed at the misuse of terms such as "Stewart and mustard" if the person using the terms is putting down someone else. Such as when they label people that say "boat" instead of "ship" "STUPID".

I would hope that any captain of a ship would have more class than to let a little thing like someone calling his ship a "boat" bother him. And if you pee off the side of any vehicle whether it is a boat, train or a ship you have absolutely no class. ;- )

Okay everybody, I apologise for my tirade last night! This thread just struck a nerve with me, and I know it is due to my more than 24 years in the US Navy; where calling any navy vessel (except a submarine) a boat was equivalent to calling the Captain or Skipper a cook...honestly.

For what it's worth, I do know that many Captains of cruise ships feel the exact same way.

Now to answer a previous poster's question about use of the term 'sailing' in reference to modern cruise 'ships'. This is another nautical term that goes back literally hundreds of years to the days of square riggers that actually did sail or set sail. The term (as do many others) continues to be used today, referring to a vessel 'getting underway'; i.e., when does the ship set sail?, or when do we sail?

Anyway, I digress; but again sorry for the rant last night!

WOW!! You need one of two things... a cruise, or valium :p Does this really upset you so bad? You were on a tirade!!!! And someone quotes the DEFINITION FROM THE DICTIONARY, and one of the definitions for "boat" is "ship" and this sends you through the roof :p WOW!!! You know, I've always called it a ship... but I think now, just for the heck of it, I'm with the Aaron Spelling guys... get me to the boat :p I might even join the Canadians and start calling it a boot :D

Now theres a peeve of mine , Canadians calling it boot.I get people doing that all the time when we are in the US. and I look at them funny as I can't understand what the hell they are saying. I am from Vancouver and a boat is a boat (ship) lol.

Ok, 13 years of cruising later........ I have this pet peeve. A cruise ship is a SHIP. It's not a boat. If you call it a boat, it makes you sound stupid. That's all I have to say about that.........

Anni

PS. Sorry....Couldn't help myself.....go ahead and flame me, my skin is thick.......(and oh so tan from my wonderful recent Pride cruise)

Who cares, as long as I'm on it!

You are wrong, unless you are referring to the little rubby ducky you played with in the bathtub when you were a kid. If you read this definition carefully, it does NOT refer to a 90,000+ ton vessel!

nuff said!

EXACTLY! The definition doesn't refer to the size/weight at all.....

Ok ok ok you're right! Should not have used the word stupid, and I apologise (the devil made me do it!!) HOWEVER, (to clarify if I must)Yvonne, Huey,Cathy, and whoever else obviously read different words than were typed, I did not call anyone stupid. I said it makes you SOUND stupid.

Anni

um, well, I think part of it is calling it a boat as a sorta "pet name" It's like calling the ship "her". I don't think people really call the ships boats just because they wanna tick someone off or because they don't know any better.

Yep like me calling our horses ponies.. Drives the wife nuts:D

Lonnie

I'm indifferent, but what i do know is not to refer to a cruise ship as a ship to my friend in the navy or I'll have to listen to the lecture about how a cruise ship is only a boat. Kind of humerous at times how pissy he gets about the subject.

Has he compared sizes lately? The old cruise ships may be small in size/tonnage compared to what the Navy has but the latest mega-ships not to mention the future planned super-mega ships are far larger than most fleet boats. They even have more total crew than many of the smaller navy ships.

I think only the aircraft carriers are bigger.

I sure my pet peeves are not so petty.

Does the back porch count:D

Well the Coast Guard calls all their vessels boats. If you want to get technical about the whole thing they are all called M/V (motor vessel) The cruise "ship" would be called that too.

Not entirely true, the Coast Guard's deeper water vessels are called cutters..

Not entirely true, the Coast Guard's deeper water vessels are called cutters..

True to an extent, all CG vessels 65' and over are cutters, a throw back to the days of the Revenue Cutter Service of 1790, but the term Cutter is only used formally such as when announcing or writing the vessels name. General day to day speech etc, its a boat. That covers everything from 65' to 400+'. 32'-65' are strictly boats, 32' and smaller are small boats.

Personally when on a cruise I could care less if its a boat, ship, or dingy. I dont care if folks refer to the dining room as a mess deck, the bathroom as a head etc since I'm taking a cruise to get away from riding a boat where I have to work. Its the one time I can get underway and enjoy myself instead of standing watches at odd times of the day, sleep in a coffin rack, and listen to pipes.

Shoot, I've been tempted to put in a wakeup call for 0330 and tell them to say "next watch" just so I can tell him to get bent and bring me a beer.:D

Sandpeeps getting annoyed at the misuse of nautical terms amuses me.

Avast or you'll all end up with bulkhead to bulkhead counciling.;)

Archived