need clothing suggestions..how do i iron?

ajrs

i'm packing! we leave in a week. just getting some clothes together and i'm wondering how can we iron clothes? i've read on this board before that irons are not allowed and there are no irons in rooms. what do you use to neaten up clothes? i am specifically thinking of my dress pants/dresses and my DH's suit. i can bring some "wrinkle releaser" type spray for t-shirts, shorts, etc. but i don't know about using that stuff on the formal clothes. thanks!

We send them out to be pressed, it is half the cost of the dry cleaning and they do an amazing job. Give them to your steward the first day and they will be back the next by 4

I do it the same way as Sue. Actually the Dry Cleaning prices are much cheaper onboard than at home and I don´t have to worry about any wrinkles from packing, I just unpack put the suit on the bed for Steward to pick it up and the next day it´s ready for formal night.

We send them out to be pressed, it is half the cost of the dry cleaning and they do an amazing job. Give them to your steward the first day and they will be back the next by 4

I purposely left a lot of clothes unironed when I packed. Sent them out to be pressed when we got settled in on the Explorer. I had them back in the morning and oh was I pleased.This is the first time I've used the service but it won't be the last,for sure! :)

Here's another tip that really reduces wrinkles. Place each outfit on a wire hanger and wrap with a plastic dry cleaner's bag. When I pack, I lay each of these across the suitcase, alternating which side the hanger is on and allowing the excess to hang over the edge. Then I fold in the excess-- each layer cushions the others and prevents wrinkling. When my luggage arrives, it's a snap to take the hangers out and hang them in the closet. I always pack a steamer; I've never needed to use it!

I put underwear, nightwear, and tee-shirts in really large zipper bags (but not the huge ones), getting out as much air as possible before zipping. This saves room, and also saves time when unpacking. I find that if I fold my tee-shirts neatly before putting them in the bags (2 or 3 in each bag), they don't wrinkle.

Packing to come home: I throw out the dry cleaner's bags and hangers, making room for souvenirs. And who cares about wrinkling when you're going home anyway?

Can't live without my steamer. I also get plastic dry cleaner bags and put them between the layers of my clothes. For nice dresses I actually just take the dress/suit,etc. out of the closet still on the hanger with the bag around it and pack it hanger and all. Then I just pull it out of my suitcase and hang it up. NORMALLY I don't have to use my steamer BUT I will ALWAYS carry it just in case! I was on a month long Middle Eastern trip several years back and the plastic bag idea was suggested. I was at wits end and would try anything. It worked WONDERS (along with the bundle packing). I keep a supply of bags packed away and use them anytime we travel.

I iron before I pack, and use either dry-cleaning bags between the clothes or tissue paper (the wrapping kind, not the "nose" kind!). Either will keep the clothes from wrinkling!

It's less expensive than sending stuff out to be pressed! (and if you're on a Caribbean route, it won't matter--the humidity leaves everyone's clothes a bit "rumpled"!

Another vote to have them do it.........the first night,we get everything together ,stuff it in the bag and we have it back in time for formal night(the next night)......

I think the prices are pretty reasonable...........

We send a lot out on the first night. I think our total was $48.00 for 15 items last week. We also bring a hand held steamer we purchased at Target that we use for touch-ups. It is wonderful!! We just make a point not to leave it out and about for the stateroom attendant to see....

We use the dry cleaner bags and have done so for years. If the clothes are hung up by outfits, then put into the bag, it's easy to unpack, easy to be sure you have a whole outfit together and if you don't wear the outfit while on the cruise, easy to pack up to bring home.

We do have my husband's suit and a pair of dress pants and a sports jacket (if he brings one) cleaned before we leave the ship as it's cheaper than getting it done at home.

On Radiance last month, they had a laundry special for $20 and we sent a ton of golf style shirts and some tee shirts to the laundry. They came back all nicely folded and they took up very little room in the suitcase for our return trip.

We live in Florida so my husband wears tee's and golf shirts every day. It was nice to come home without all the dirty laundry we usually have. The shirts were ready to be put into the drawers at home.

Another thing I wanted to mention, which has nothing to do with ironing though. We bought a fold up hamper at the flea market for a dollar or two and use it for our dirty laundry all week. When it's time to pack the suitcases to come home, all clean clothes go in one suitcase and dirty in the other. Works well for us.

Enjoy your cruise.

We use the dry cleaner bags and have done so for years. If the clothes are hung up by outfits, then put into the bag, it's easy to unpack, easy to be sure you have a whole outfit together and if you don't wear the outfit while on the cruise, easy to pack up to bring home.

We do have my husband's suit and a pair of dress pants and a sports jacket (if he brings one) cleaned before we leave the ship as it's cheaper than getting it done at home.

On Radiance last month, they had a laundry special for $20 and we sent a ton of golf style shirts and some tee shirts to the laundry. They came back all nicely folded and they took up very little room in the suitcase for our return trip.

We live in Florida so my husband wears tee's and golf shirts every day. It was nice to come home without all the dirty laundry we usually have. The shirts were ready to be put into the drawers at home.

Another thing I wanted to mention, which has nothing to do with ironing though. We bought a fold up hamper at the flea market for a dollar or two and use it for our dirty laundry all week. When it's time to pack the suitcases to come home, all clean clothes go in one suitcase and dirty in the other. Works well for us.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hope the Serenade will have that kind of $20 special when we do our 28-day B2B!!

As far as the hamper is concerned, why not just a plastic garbage bag? With airlines (United at least) looking at lowering the luggage limits, you'll want at few extras as possible--to save room for the 50 pair of shoes!:D

We send a lot out on the first night. I think our total was $48.00 for 15 items last week. We also bring a hand held steamer we purchased at Target that we use for touch-ups. It is wonderful!! We just make a point not to leave it out and about for the stateroom attendant to see....

Was this price for Dry Cleaning or just Pressing?

Was this price for Dry Cleaning or just Pressing?
: Are laundry services provided?

A: Self-service laundry facilities are not provided onboard our ships, but we do offer full laundry and dry cleaning services. We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMEN

Shirt/T-Shirt: $2.50 Blouse: $3.50

Shirt (dress): $3.00 Dress (wash): $5.00

Underwear: $1.20 Skirt: $3.50

Jeans: $3.00 Nightgown: $3.00

Pajamas: $4.00 Swimsuit: $2.00

Handkerchif: $0.75 Slip: $2.50

Shorts: $2.50 Housecoat: $3.50

Bathrobe: $3.50 Hosiery: $3.50

Pants (wash): $3.50 Slacks: $3.50

Sweatshirt: $3.00

Socks: $1.00

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES * All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

Dry Cleaning.

MEN WOMAN

Suit: $7.00 Evening Gown: $8.00

Pants: $4.25 Dress $7.00

Jacket: $4.50 Silk Blouse: $5:00

Sweater: $4.00 Silk Dress: $8.00

Coat: $7.00 Skirt $4.50

Tie: $2.00 Suit: $7.50

Shirt: $3.50 Blouse: $4.00

Shorts: $3.00 Scarf: $2.50

Vest $2.50

Silk Pajamas: $4.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices.

New price list

New price list from Mariner of the Seas, Jan. 20, 2008

MEN WASH & PRESS:

Bathrobe $4.00

Handkerchief $ .75

Jeans $3.50

Pajamas $4.25

Pants $4.00

Shirt $3.50

Shirt/T-shirt $2.75

Shorts $3.00

Socks $1.25

Sweatshirt $3.50

Underwear $1.25

MEN DRY CLEANING:

Coat $8.25

Jacket $5.00

Pajamas, silk $5.00

Pants $4.50

Shirt $4.00

Shorts $3.50

Suit $9.00

Sweater $4.50

Tie $2.25

Vest $3.00

WOMAN WASH & PRESS:

Blouse $4.00

Dress $6.00

Hosiery $1.25

Housecoat $3.75

Nightgown $3.50

Skirt $4.00

Slacks $4.00

Slip $2.75

Swimsuit $2.25

WOMAN DRY CLEANING:

Blouse $4.50

Blouse, silk $6.00

Dress $8.00

Dress, silk $9.50

Evening Dress $9.50

Scarf $2.75

Skirt $5.00

Slacks $4.50

Suit $9.00

Pressing only: is 1/2 the cost

Last vacation I brought several of the space bags. I put the beach towels and tshirts in them on the way down. Then put them in a drawer. Each evening as we took off the dirty clothes I would fill another bag and roll them up. Then on the last night, all I had to do was load the six bags of dirty clothes into the one bag. Also prevented the dirty clothes from being beside anything clean we had left.

Archived