What's "special" about Princess?

Dapzilla

We love RCI, but would like to try another cruise line, both for comparison and variety. Princess looks like a great option for us, and we're thinking of booking for January '09.

I've heard that there are a lot of "special" things about a Princess cruise, and I'd love to get the scoop, especially because we're trying to sway some friends to join us on this trip.

I heard that there are movies under the stars, with popcorn, and that they serve cookies/milk in the afternoon... That sounds darned special to me! Any other perks like that to share?

We're looking at a Caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess - so any scoop you have is much appreciated. Thanks so much!!

We love RCI, but would like to try another cruise line, both for comparison and variety. Princess looks like a great option for us, and we're thinking of booking for January '09.

I've heard that there are a lot of "special" things about a Princess cruise, and I'd love to get the scoop, especially because we're trying to sway some friends to join us on this trip.

I heard that there are movies under the stars, with popcorn, and that they serve cookies/milk in the afternoon... That sounds darned special to me! Any other perks like that to share?

We're looking at a Caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess - so any scoop you have is much appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Hey, we're in the same boat (OK, ship - pun intended:D ). We're actually taking a serious look at the member cruise for Valentine's Day '09.

So, another group-to-be would love to hear from you all!

Dave and Pat

They have a really nice afternoon tea. They do that champaign waterfall in the lobby. The bigger ships have regular entertainment in the atrium.

They have free Tapas. Nice shusi bar. Excellent educational classes.

And they have the "Love Boat" desert. You won't find that on any RCL.

There is a lot of "My cruise line is better than your cruise line" boasting around here, but I tend not to bash anyone unless I try them. Heck, my soon-to-be fiancée and I, plus our 6 kids, are about to try Carnival for the first time. Wish me luck!

I think RCCL and Princess are both in a very special niche. For me, and this is just one guy's opinion, both have the right blend of polish, service, and 'fun factor', without the exorbitant prices and snob factor. They are my favorite lines, bar none, in the "bang for the buck" category. It does seem that Princess tries to be a little more polished than RCCL, whereas RCCL seems a little more "active family friendly."

I'm certainly not the experienced cruiser that some around here are as I am 'just' a two-a-year guy, but Princess and RCCL are always the first two lines I look for when it's time to find my next cruise. My next cruise after March will be in June, when my SO will be out of school (teacher), and I'll likely go on RCCL as I think Princess' Summer schedule stinks.

I've always maintained that to compare different lines, one must actually try them. I've enjoyed all the cruises on which I have sailed, some however, more than others. As far as the "bang for the buck" factor, I find Carnival way ahead of RCCI or Princess, but Princess is more elegant in general and the fresh water pools are a big reason to go with them. I find that the overall design and decor favors Royal Caribbean. Food and service are pretty much equal in my opinion, although I must admit that the seafood buffet on the Caribbean Princess is a feast to remember!

I like the Future Cruise Credit program (although I'm not sure if other lines do something similar). For those who aren't familiar with it: while you're onboard, you pay $100 which is then your deposit on the next cruise (no matter how long it will be). You don't have to book it then, but can if you want and tell you're TA when you get home. You have 4 years to book that next cruise and if you never book one then you get the $100 back. You also get onboard credit for that next cruise - how much you get depends on how long the cruise is.

This makes booking the next cruise a breeze! I waited until I saw a good deal and then I was able to jump right on it since I didn't have to plunk down a deposit - and the deposit would have been more than $100. And I got $100 of OBC!

Next cruise, I'm buying 2 or 3 FCC's. Princess knows how to bring customers back (plus, we had a great cruise). ;)

Archived