What if there's an emergency at home?

scrapulous

Hi,

I'm new here and am trying to gather info about cruises to decide if/when we want to go. I've really enjoyed reading threads on here today!

Basically, I'm a paranoid mom. My in-laws have offered to keep the kids (ages 6 and 8) so we can go on a cruise alone for our anniversary. I'd love it, BUT I'm afraid there will be an emergency involving one of the kids, like one ends up in the hospital or something, and they won't be able to reach me.

How hard is it to call someone on a ship? And what if I need to get off the ship to get to my kids? Is that possible? If it is possible, how expensive is it to be airlifted or whatever off the ship?

Maybe I should just stay home, huh? LOL.

I would recommend going and enjoy yourself, esp if in laws are responsible/kids don't have life threatening illnesses. ANything can happen, to you or kids (although lottery odds) so I would always get health/vacation insurance in case. Your cell phone works on ship (and email also) although $$$$expensive, but good for emergencies. Generally I think the only reason they airlift off the ship is in medical emergencies (appendicitis/heart attacks/ etc). I would take hold of this wonderful opportunity, or even go as a family with/without inlaws if you can $$$ it =)

Hi,

I'm new here and am trying to gather info about cruises to decide if/when we want to go. I've really enjoyed reading threads on here today!

Basically, I'm a paranoid mom. My in-laws have offered to keep the kids (ages 6 and 8) so we can go on a cruise alone for our anniversary. I'd love it, BUT I'm afraid there will be an emergency involving one of the kids, like one ends up in the hospital or something, and they won't be able to reach me.

How hard is it to call someone on a ship? And what if I need to get off the ship to get to my kids? Is that possible? If it is possible, how expensive is it to be airlifted or whatever off the ship?

I would recommend going and enjoy yourself, esp if in laws are responsible/kids don't have life threatening illnesses. ANything can happen, to you or kids (although lottery odds) so I would always get health/vacation insurance in case. Your cell phone works on ship (and email also) although $$$$expensive, but good for emergencies. Generally I think the only reason they airlift off the ship is in medical emergencies (appendicitis/heart attacks/ etc). I would take hold of this wonderful opportunity, or even go as a family with/without inlaws if you can $$$ it =)

If you are that worried about it, be sure to purchase trip insurance. Then if you do have to fly home you will be covered providing, of course, that you picked the right coverage. If you had to fly home you would need to have your passport also. I have seen so many put their passport purchase off over the last two years and can't help but wonder why? Even if it isn't mandatory for cruisers to have one, I think that it is mandatory to fly. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

The first thing you need to do is BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE! If you need to get home and have insurance with the right coverage, you'll be able to interrupt your trip and go home. You would not be airlifted off a ship. You would get off at the next port and go from there. It would cost you thousands of dollars to expect to be air lifted off a ship. Go to insuremytrip.com and look over all the kinds of insurance coverage you can buy. You'd want to be able cancel ahead of time too if you had health problems or a family member needed you at home, including in laws. Read the details and choose the one that has what you think you need.

Not all cell phones work on all ships. There have been lots of post on this board re cell phones and the costs involved. You can go inot the forum search and look for more info. You will be given a phone number with your documents that you can give your in laws to call you directly on the ship if it really was an emergency. You can check on them yourself by using the internet on board, (an internet cafe onshore would be a lot cheaper) or purchase a pre paid phone card at the port to call home. Don't buy any phone cards in the US. They won't work if you are on a island.

I think you should consider yourself very lucky that your in laws are able to babysit and I certainly would take them up on that kindness. What are the chances anything will happen to your kids? But if you are going to be worrying and not enjoying the time away with your husband, maybe you aren't ready to leave them yet.

Welcome to CC! When you are ready to plan the cruise, you'll get lots of advice and help here!

Thanks for the info about trip insurance. I never knew there was such a thing! I need to check about my cell phone and whether or not I can use it.

I managed a week in Guatemala without them and with VERY spotty phone service, so I'm sure I can manage a cruise. I'm just a worrier. And my in-laws are wonderful!

Stop worrying! They raised your husband just fine, didn't they? And grandparents LOVE their grandkids---they'd protect them with their LIVES!

It's good to leave your kids--they learn that you WILL return, and it gives them some independance and a sense of "self". Being there ALL THE TIME is not as healthy for your kids as you might think!

The kids will be fine and will enjoy a break from you. The grandparents will love the bonding experience with your kids. Your husband will LOVE having a woman (not a "mom") all alone with him for a week!

Go for it!

If there's a life or death emergency, THEN you go home. If one falls and skins a knee, or even breaks an arm--super-grandparents will handle it!

Good luck and have a wonderful time with your husband!

Hi,

My 'mom' worried about me even when I was a lot older than 6 or 8, I think she worried about me even when I was 20, 30 or whatever age ....... you probably will worry too ...... they are your kids.

But if I may ask, what else can you do in case of emergency that your in-laws can not ? If you leave them the proper instructions ( and proper legal documentation) so they can make decisions on your behalf - thy will do the same things what is best for the kids as you would. ..... they had kids too. If a doctor or a hospital was going to be involved ..... they will make the best decisions as well ..... if you are there or not.

Go and enjoy your cruise with your husband.

Wes

I'm a worrier too. We are leaving them this time and they are 8 months (my baby), 3, 5 and 12. I have passports, wills done, letters stating they are temporary guardians, medical consent, health cards & insurance info. I wrote a daily letter stating what time who goes where, what days are gym, show & tell, etc. I also wrote what port we would be in which day and included the ship's phone number $8 per minute but in an emergency they should use it of course and the phone number of our travel agent just in case. I write note to teachers/coaches/preschool letting them know the arrangements and who to call while we are out of the country and really, what more can you do?

We left them for the 1st time last year, I cried and missed them so bad for 3 days and then realized...it was me, they were fine, I was paranoid and needed to relax! We called the kids, they were having an amazing time baking and doing crafts with the grandparents! I am very concerned about leaving them in 2 weeks, I think about it in the middle of the night...what if....but really....what if I never go? what if I don't LIVE because I am scared....what will my marriage be if I never spend any time alone with my husband? I have turned it around so that we HAVE to vacation on occassion alone - it's an investment in us, so we can love each other more, enjoy each other and be better parents when we get home!

Have fun!

I'm a worrier too. We are leaving them this time and they are 8 months (my baby), 3, 5 and 12. I have passports, wills done, letters stating they are temporary guardians, medical consent, health cards & insurance info. I wrote a daily letter stating what time who goes where, what days are gym, show & tell, etc. I also wrote what port we would be in which day and included the ship's phone number $8 per minute but in an emergency they should use it of course and the phone number of our travel agent just in case. I write note to teachers/coaches/preschool letting them know the arrangements and who to call while we are out of the country and really, what more can you do?

We left them for the 1st time last year, I cried and missed them so bad for 3 days and then realized...it was me, they were fine, I was paranoid and needed to relax! We called the kids, they were having an amazing time baking and doing crafts with the grandparents! I am very concerned about leaving them in 2 weeks, I think about it in the middle of the night...what if....but really....what if I never go? what if I don't LIVE because I am scared....what will my marriage be if I never spend any time alone with my husband? I have turned it around so that we HAVE to vacation on occassion alone - it's an investment in us, so we can love each other more, enjoy each other and be better parents when we get home!

Have fun!

Hi,

you are a " Princess as a Mommy" and a lot more ,...... I do like your post very much.

Wes

An email suggestion.

I just cruised and left two seriously ill family members at home. Instead of using my regular email address, I used a special one only for daily updates. That kept my computer time on ship down to a minimum. I think it only cost $2 or $3 every time I logged in.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'll go without them. We have left them for four days to go to NYC and for one week to go to Guatemala, so it isn't like we've never left them and never will, but cruises are so FAR and so ISOLATED from the mainland that it seems scarier than going to NYC or even Guatemala. Of course I trust my in-laws completely. They are great. But if they end up in the hospital for something serious (this has already happened with each of my kids, believe it or not) I could not go on enjoying my trip and let someone else handle it. I know others are capable of handling it, but they're MY babies, and I don't think *I* could handle it, even if they could, you know? I guess I just need to remember that the odds are nothing will happen.

And, going without kids would be much more fun!!

Thanks for giving me some perspective. I have really enjoyed reading all the tips on this board!

Make absolutely certain you have a passport. Without one, it's extremely difficult to fly home in an emergency. When my mom broke her hip on a ship last year, and had to be air lifted back to the US, thank heaven we had passports because as soon as the medi-evac jet landed at the Executive Airport in Ft Lauderdale, a US Customs man came to the jet and checked to make sure we had passports.

An email suggestion.

I just cruised and left two seriously ill family members at home. Instead of using my regular email address, I used a special one only for daily updates. That kept my computer time on ship down to a minimum. I think it only cost $2 or $3 every time I logged in.

Unfortunately not all ships have that option. We have used it on 2 of our cruises and it certainly is cheap and convenient. Wish all ships had the option!!

You can place/receive calls on your cell phone. Also, give the folks at home the number for the ship and your cabin number. If it's a real emergency, call the purser's desk on the ship, and have them leave a note in your room (in case the phone message light is not working). Also, check your phone messages periodically. Have fun!

..............How hard is it to call someone on a ship? And what if I need to get off the ship to get to my kids? Is that possible? If it is possible, how expensive is it to be airlifted or whatever off the ship? Maybe I should just stay home, huh? LOL.

Email is the best way to contact someone on a ship. Phone is also available but expensive. Make sure the family at home has dialing directions for the ship you will be on.

Buy insurance if you desire to get home in case of an emergency. Make sure you are aware of what type of emergency is covered. For instance, you may want to get home because they came down with the chickenpox, but that may not be considered an emergency.

Also, nobody is airlifted off a ship except when their life is in danger. So if you have to leave a ship it will be when it arrives in the next port. Not knowing where you are sailing, the costs to fly home can be expensive. Any last minute airfare is costly nowadays.

Archived