Wish me luck... applying today!

So, please wish me luck. I'm assembling my application, letters of recommendation, and letter of intent, to turn into RCCL tomorrow morning. I was originally applying for server, but Keith my CD on Vision told me to apply for Cruise Staff, and if there were any problems to contact him. *crossing fingers* I've wanted to work on a ship since I was 15, I'm 22 now!

Hopefully one day I may be able to cruise with you all as guests on board!

Good Luck!!!

My niece just got a job with Carnival. She leaves this weekend to spend 6 months on Conquest...she'll be working with the theatre dept...I'm so excited for her...just wish she had helded out a little while longer for Royal Caribbean to contact her. She's young and excited and off on an adventure.

My fingers are crossed..hope all works out.

So, please wish me luck. I'm assembling my application, letters of recommendation, and letter of intent, to turn into RCCL tomorrow morning.... I've wanted to work on a ship since I was 15, I'm 22 now!

Hopefully one day I may be able to cruise with you all as guests on board!

Just returned from Voyager Of The Seas and let me tell you that we are delighted that you, Steph, will be applying for employment. Now, before all you RCCL "shareholders" jump down our necks, we loved the ship and the amenities. The food has vastly improved now that Chef Norton has been terminated....(salt). But never in all the years that we have been sailing on all of the major lines have we seen such a poor and unacceptable work ethic. We would blame the absent supervision had we encountered any of them for this is really the problem. Staff lackadaisically clearing tables of utensils but leaving all the spilled food there for the next dinner to confront is unheard of but that is exactly what was happening and not just once or twice but daily. There is a malaise aboard not just this ship that can become epidemic and the thought that there are young interested persons wishing to take employment aboard these ships in any capacity is encouraging for it is direly needed. Go for it ,Steph. We wish you success. No, we need your success

My daughter just sent her resume in to RCCL for a theatre tech position over the weekend. She graduates in May and from what I understand from a couple of the techs I've talked to, the process can take a good 3-4 months to get through so the timing would work out well.

US citizens are found in the mostly in the cruise division - theater, broadcast, cruise staff, musicians and the occasional youth staff and sports staff.

Speaking as a US citizen - the pay isn't bad, in fact fairly equivalent to what I made for the similar position on land AND think of all the money one saves on rent, food, commuting, etc. I'm actually ahead more financially than if I'd stayed at my job 5-6 years ago. I won't become rich . . . but at least I'm traveling

job links

royalcaribbeanproductions.com

and

c-deck.com

regardless of how they find you, they still send you to c-deck for screenings and help getting on to the ship (they're called hiring partners) for most all US citizens

US citizens are found in the mostly in the cruise division - theater, broadcast, cruise staff, musicians and the occasional youth staff and sports staff.

Speaking as a US citizen - the pay isn't bad, in fact fairly equivalent to what I made for the similar position on land AND think of all the money one saves on rent, food, commuting, etc. I'm actually ahead more financially than if I'd stayed at my job 5-6 years ago. I won't become rich . . . but at least I'm traveling

job links

and

c-deck.com

regardless of how they find you, they still send you to c-deck for screenings and help getting on to the ship (they're called hiring partners) for most all US citizens

sf2, I assume that you don't maintain any independent living quarters on land? You stay with friends or family when not on board a ship?

(are you in the photography area?)

job links

and

c-deck.com

Does C-deck charge like I hear some of the partners overseas charge folks?

Is Dan the party man still on GOS or is that you?

sf2, I assume that you don't maintain any independent living quarters on land? You stay with friends or family when not on board a ship?

(are you in the photography area?)

Got a house and a mortgage :D (and people to look after it as that's always the next question)

Not a photog on a ship . . .

Got a house and a mortgage :D (and people to look after it as that's always the next question)

Not a photog on a ship . . .

And it's still a good-paying job, vs living and working on land? I would have thought the savings would have come from getting your room and board on the ship, and NOT having living expenses on a place that you're not in!

Good luck...fingers are crossed!!

Yes they do hire US citizens as crew. They hire only a percentage if US the rest are foreign. During our Hawaii cruise 2 years ago a young man come aboard in Hilo as on the CD staff....he was 19 years old from WI. You never seen anyone so excited as he was!

Best of luck...keep us posted!

Dave - C-Deck takes their cut from the cruise lines themselves after the crewmember has been successfully placed on the ship

- and today's Dan's last day onboard . . . . thinking he's no where near a computer at this time (Simeon's back manana). Neither are really big CC'ers (though Facebook is pretty popular now)

And Carol - just think what your budget is for food, drink, gas and a good portion of electricity and utilities in a year? Adds up quick!

Update: online aplication submitted... waiting to hear back from the company

to answer some of your questions:

Yes, I am a US citizen. I do know about the taxing of my money, but you figure, I will be on board for up to 7 months at a time, with not a lot of time off... what am I going to spend my money on? :)

My family lives in southern california, my friend lives in florida, and my brother lives in Alaska. So if I am lucky enough to be placed in one of those Ports of Call, then I will have some one to visit while in port. But I will have a room to come home to on my time off... now this is all if I get this job.

sf2... thanks for all the info. I spoke with Keith, the cruise director on the Vision, and Reynada, and Sam... both singer/ dancers in the theater. Reynada and Sam were the ones who recommended I apply for a Cruise Staff position, Keith later seconded that idea, when he found out I was interested in applying for RCCL. I'm excited to see what's going to happen!

Thank you for all your support and input once again!

Steph, Good luck with the cruise ship job! Our son has worked the last two summers for NCL in the band (sax player), and he will be doing it again starting in May.

It helps pay for college, and he has friends he met while working on the ships that he is still in contact with. I am sure you will enjoy it, and it will be a great experience! Let us know what ship you get on. ~Debbi

Update: online aplication submitted... waiting to hear back from the company

what am I going to spend my money on? :)

Thank you for all your support and input once again!

Some suggestions what you could spend your money on :p Booze, gambling and jewlery in ports :D

Joking aside, good luck on landing the job!:)

Are you a US citizen? Do they hire US citizens for such positions? If they pay you the same as the other staff, you will be taking home MUCH less than everyone else.

Now now now - be positive. Its not what you do for a living, its how you do it that makes a person happy.

BEST OF LUCK boomhaursgrl. I hope you get the job you are looking for. If you sail on the Voyager please look up my sister and I.(Just remind me who your are - in fact print this out and show it to me. Senior moments you know:p ). We will be in Jr. Suite 1640 the week of January 18, 2009, and when you are off we will have you in for coffee and pastries or pizza and beer - whatever you want.

Good luck to you. After our Disney cruise, my granddaughter said she'd like to work on a cruise ship, too. What a great opportunity and a great job for a young adult before settling down into real life.

Make sure you post back and let us know.

Katink

Archived