Whale Watching in Cobo

long_shot45

I was in Cabo last week. While I didn't do a whale watching thing, I can say that I have never seen so many whales in one polace at one time. Dozens and dozens of them could be seen from the ship, just a short way from shore. Any of the whale watching excursions should be fine.

No, we were last there about that time, and they were plentiful. You almost didn't have to take an excursion, as the whales were around the ship. But an excursion will find lots more to look at.

We pulled in about 10 am. I was working out as the ship (Statendam) moved down the coast towards Cabo. There were regular spouts, and dolphins as well.

You will enjoy it!

I was on the Oosterdam Jan 12th, and took the Ocean Riders whale watching on a zodiac . It was a cool ( temp wise) trip, but worth it for the whales,sea lions, dolphins and marlin that we saw. This was not a HAL tour, because we had a group of 15 and HAL could not insure that we would all be on the same boat. With Ocean Riders we had our own boat, so that we could do as we pleased. On the way past Cabo on the return we saw a whale shark from the ship!

Overall the whale watching was not as good as Alaska, but still great!

Martini Cruiser

In Dec we saw Whales completely breach all the way out of the water....I was surprised they could jump that far ......you will have a great tour if you do Whale Watching in the Winter...there are lot of Wahales, you won't be disapointed. In the summer...they migrate north...:)

We took the Deluxe Coastal Cruise with Whale Watching excursion last week on our Maasdam cruise and really enjoyed it. We saw at least a dozen whales; lots of spouts and flukes. The boat got pretty close to a group of 3 which gave us all a treat, too.

We also saw a number of smaller boats in the area having the same experience. There are plenty of boats for hire in the port, so you can easily see the whales (I also counted 20 spouts, etc. from our veranda as the ship left port).

We just got back from a 10 day cruise on the Ryndam....saw LOTS of whales....

For those of you that aren't quite up to a zodiac, the pirate ship was a fine alternative....can't exactly race after those whales, but we did see PLENTY :) and it was a very relaxing way to spend the morning.....

A few years back, I was sitting in the Lido aboard the Volendam while we were anchored at the dock in Cabo. I was watching two young men on water jets having a ball zipping back and forth sending the water flying. After watching for three or four minutes, I nearly fell out of my chair when a whale surfaced right in the middle of where the two guys were.

I guess the moral of the story is you don't have to go on an excursion to see whales in Cabo. They are everywhere.

If the pirate ship is available, you must try it. They turn off the engines and unfurl the sails, and it is the most wonderful experience. We saw so many whales on our tour, and DH got a photo of a double breech.

Archived