Tips...yet again

HorrorFan

A question for all. This is NOT intended to get into a hot debate about where, how much, etc. to tip, whether you eat in the DR, Windjammers, etc.

I just have a simple kind of question.

Why would anyone wish to pay in advance for tips? You CAN have that included n the price of the cruise, yes? Or have it included on your sea pass, where you automatically give the recommended rate?

Now, before I go further, you must know that on both of my cruises, the service has been wonderful, and I always tipped the recommended $ (at least) to everyone who was supposed to be tipped. But I did it at the end of the cruise.

I would never consider prepaying the tips.

What if the service sucked?

I guess what I am saying is I tip in a resaurant at the end of the meal based on the service i receive, not based on what the tip should 'normally' be.

In our case I like getting the double points on my RCL Visa card for those tips. I have ALWAYS gotten wonderful service on RCCL and they service would have to be super awful for me not to tip the recommended amount. We usually add cash to our envelopes.

I don't pre-pay the tips, but I do have it added to my SeaPass so I can pay for them with the CC and get the double points. Then I just add extra cash to the envelopes we want to. Love that we can just put them on the SeaPass and not have to bring the extra cash. Might as well rack up those double points.

If they ever go to the Open Dining and we take that option, then we will have to pre-pay tips which will be okay with me. We have always had great service, so I would never considered not paying at least the recommended amount. Like I said, we usually always add add'l cash to the envelopes at the end of the week.

Why would anyone wish to pay in advance for tips?.

I am sure most prepay so that it is already paid before the cruise.........one less expense prepaid........just like booking excursions from home...

I am sure most prepay so that it is already paid before the cruise.........one less expense prepaid........just like booking excursions from home...

Exactly! I expect the service will be fantastic and if not, well, I would not prepay again!!

And I seriously abhor the last night envelope ceremony. I find it awkward and embarrassing. I loved auto-tips on Princess - no envelopes!

The crew doesn't GET the tip prior to serving you--you just Pay it!!! Actually, it takes them LONGER to get their tips when you pre-pay, as it's added to their NEXT paycheck, rather than getting cash in hand!

And, if the service is below standard, you can always go to the customer service desk and stop the "pre-pay" and tip in cash what you believe they deserve.

We just plan on cash tipping and bring the appropriate amount!

This will be our 1st cruise. I prepaid the tips. I actually assumed that was the way it was done and I liked the fact that its paid and I don't have to worry about it. We plan on tipping extra cash at the end of the cruise if we get good service. By what I read on the boards, the service is Great!

The word tip (as applied to giving extra for service ) is from the old practice of depositing money as you entered a "resturant" in days long gone To Insure Performance and good Service = T.I.P.S.

I thought it was To Insure Promptness...:confused:

And I seriously abhor the last night envelope ceremony. I find it awkward and embarrassing. I loved auto-tips on Princess - no envelopes!

I agree.............reminds me of being at a wedding when the bride and groom go to each table(and she has the money bag!!)

Exactly! I expect the service will be fantastic and if not, well, I would not prepay again!!

I too find it awkward and embaressing, not only for myself but for the staff.

We prepay tips for longer and more expensive cruises for budget purposes. Otherwise, we add them to our Seapass account on board. Like the previous poster says, it adds to our frequent flyer credit card points.

We have been cruising for so long that we never worry about whether the staff deserve the tip or not. They always do deserve it! The "real" tips are the extra money we put in the envelope at the end of the cruise for REALLY good service. We consider the tips on our Seapass account to be more of a service charge to pay the staff's wages.

So when you prepay there are no envelopes with vouchers to hand to the service personnel?

Do they have a way of knowing that you've prepaid. Seems otherwise you'd still have the awkward "I gave at the office" moments.

Can you sign up for this after you've made your final payment.

So when you prepay there are no envelopes with vouchers to hand to the service personnel?

Do they have a way of knowing that you've prepaid. Seems otherwise you'd still have the awkward "I gave at the office" moments.

You still get the vouchers to put in the envelope,even if you prepay....

And yes, you can sign up for it after final payment is made..

Interesting discussion... I am an avid land traveler, and aside from dining, we tip at the beginning of our trip for room attendants. This has ensured us some remarkable service.

I am approaching my 2nd cruise, and planned to personally give our attendant a cash tip up front. This is probably a no-no? I assume they want to pay tips on the Sea Pass or in envelopes for accounting and tip sharing.

What I am seeing in this thread is that most people are comfortable and confident that will receive (at least) good enough service from the staff to prepay tips. That is a pretty good indication that the staff are doing an excellent job.

Thats great! Like I said, I haven't had a bad experience yet, but still wasn't sure about prepaying the tips. It certainly would be easier to do so.

I am interested in the answers to Jimmers questions. EDIT: Jeesh, questions get answers REALLY quick here.

Yes you will get vouchers and envelopes the last night but even if you don't hand them out they will get the money.

You can sign up even after final payment or you can wait until you are on the ship and you will get a form in your cabin midweek to sign up for them.

You still get the vouchers to put in the envelope,even if you prepay....

And yes, you can sign up for it after final payment is made..

Someone else did the tip thing for me on my first cruise so I appreciate all the info on the etiquette of tipping....that said, if you prepay and you receive vouchers & envelopes for the last night of the cruise, do you have to hand them out to the waiters, etc? Do they have to hand-in their voucher to get their money? Is handing them the prepaid voucher just a formal gesture? So, if we prepay, could we skip handing out the vouchers and they would still receive their tips?

Thanks,

Someone else did the tip thing for me on my first cruise so I appreciate all the info on the etiquette of tipping....that said, if you prepay and you receive vouchers & envelopes for the last night of the cruise, do you have to hand them out to the waiters, etc? Do they have to hand-in their voucher to get their money? Is handing them the prepaid voucher just a formal gesture? So, if we prepay, could we skip handing out the vouchers and they would still receive their tips?

Thanks,

Yes,it is basically just a formality.......even if you dont hand them the envelopes with the vouchers inside, they will get their money..they do not have to hand in the copy of the voucher you will receive......

I cant see taking away prepaid tips.........I mean,come on,How bad could the service be to take away the little bit of tips they get??

Good question, but not one I can answer since I haven't really been in that situation. I HAVE been in a restaurant though, and the waiter did not receive a tip for lousy service.

And I had to wonder about the head waiter on our last cruise. I know, you don't tip him much anyway, but I never even saw him, except from a distance, until the last night. And I gave him $20 for what?

Anyway, this thread wasn't intended to be about how much or how little to tip, just how many people prepay, and why.

Thanks for the answers! Makes it that much easier for me to decide now.

Archived