Insurance question

WinnieinWA

6 weeks ago I booked a cruise to Mexico directly with RCCI. I have had to hound them for 3 weeks to just get my e-Docs and reservation numbers. I only got my e-Docs 4 days ago after 6 phone calls to RCCI with requests for my e-Docs. I paid for my cruise in full up front through RCCI.

I've never had to work so hard to spend $2000.00 in my life! I have found RCCI reps to be NON helpful and the 5 of them I spoke with were condescending and treated me as if I have no brain.

I always choose cruise insurance.. I wouldn't book a cruise without it.

Upon looking at my e-Docs thourougly I see that they did not charge me for insurance. I call them and challenge this as I DID ask for insurance upon booking. I was told to call the insurance company directly for insurance because my cruise is in 9 days and too late for RCCI to do it. I called the insurance company that they do business with and whose number is on my e-Docs and got no answer. I called all day (6hrs total) with no answer.

My question is:

What do I do now to get insurance?????

I've booked through cruise lines and TA's before and I've had so much trougle with RCCI that I'm not sure they are worth it. I've never had so much trouble. There are other issues I have also but am really concerned about the insurance.

Winnie

JMO, I don't think you are going to get insurance at this late date. If Royal Caribbean wouldn't provide you with theirs, it might be difficult to find it from anyone else either. Try the travel insurance websites, and drive carefully! :D

Folks who discuss insurance should distinguish between trip-cancellation insurance and medical insurance. Medical insurance is important, trip-cancellation insurance is not warranted, in my opinion, assuming that you can afford the risk. Substantial risks that would devastate someone financially must be insured against, such as medical events, death, disability, crashing a car and killing someone. Other events should not be insured against, again assuming you have the financial ability to withstand the risk, which is small.

I know these things because I'm a financial planner and insurance is part of my business. I never buy trip-cancellation insurance.

Folks who discuss insurance should distinguish between trip-cancellation insurance and medical insurance. Medical insurance is important, trip-cancellation insurance is not warranted, in my opinion, assuming that you can afford the risk. Substantial risks that would devastate someone financially must be insured against, such as medical events, death, disability, crashing a car and killing someone. Other events should not be insured against, again assuming you have the financial ability to withstand the risk, which is small.

I know these things because I'm a financial planner and insurance is part of my business. I never buy trip-cancellation insurance.

I can't imagine feeling comfortable with losing the money I've paid for three people to cruise next month. I'm experiencing some unexpected health problems and am hopeful to be able to make the cruise but if I can't, I am certainly glad we are insured so we can take our vacation later once the health issues are resolve.

BRIDEDOLL: hi. can you tell me what insurance you got for $150 for two people? we're also taking a mediteranean cruise in september, and i haven't found anything that inexpensive. thanks

Not sure what Bridedoll uses but I use statravel.com which is a student travel site but they insure anyone and I made a claim and they were terrific. File to a check less than 2 weeks. 48$ for up to 8 days and 79$ per person for 15. Check them out. Very comprehensive policy also.

BRIDEDOLL: hi. can you tell me what insurance you got for $150 for two people? we're also taking a mediteranean cruise in september, and i haven't found anything that inexpensive. thanks

Accessamerica.com. We got the comprehensive package. It goes by age & total cost of the trip. I didn't figure hotel costs into the total because I can cancel without penalty up to 24 hrs. before. I kept the total around $3000 so that we wouldn't have to go into the next bracket & wind up paying more.

I can't imagine feeling comfortable with losing the money I've paid for three people to cruise next month. I'm experiencing some unexpected health problems and am hopeful to be able to make the cruise but if I can't, I am certainly glad we are insured so we can take our vacation later once the health issues are resolve.

If you looked at 1,000 people and the cost of insuring 1,000 trips, those insurance policies will pretty well cost the following: the total cost of all payouts + expenses + approx 10-20% profit to the insurance company.

Or, look at it another way. Insurance companies make big profits from these policies.

I also don't buy extended-warranty coverage, for the same reasons I don't buy trip-cancellation insurance.

to each his or her own.

If you looked at 1,000 people and the cost of insuring 1,000 trips, those insurance policies will pretty well cost the following: the total cost of all payouts + expenses + approx 10-20% profit to the insurance company.

Or, look at it another way. Insurance companies make big profits from these policies.

I also don't buy extended-warranty coverage, for the same reasons I don't buy trip-cancellation insurance.

to each his or her own.

Well, *I* do - I get the "whole package" kind of travel insurance.

And it paid for my aborted Jewel cruise when USAir "cancelled" my trip!

to each his or her own.

All insurance companies make profits from their policies.

Otherwise they wouldn't be in business!

to each his or her own.

Who cares if the insurance company make a profit what I care about is my bank account! I doubt anyone wants to lose money no matter whether they can afford it or not. Why should I lose a couple of thousand to save 96$ for the two of us. If I didn't buy things because the company makes a profit on them I guess I wouldn't be cruising either!:rolleyes:

Archived