NY Times: Cruises, Seabourn Focus on "Foodies"

TLCOhio

In the Sunday New York Times travel section at

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/travel/17headsup.html?ref=travel

they detail how the approaches by cruise lines on food has been changing very dramatically. The story notes:

"FOR many travelers, cruises have long been an excuse to eat. Now they’re increasingly becoming an excuse to eat well. In fact, for serious foodies — those travelers who might have spent previous vacations wandering the vineyards of southern France or hunting for truffles in Tuscany — cruises have suddenly become a popular way to indulge their passions."

This story includes pictures and more details about all of the major, mostly higher-end cruise lines, what they are doing, offering, adding, including cooking classes, etc. Interesting reading! The story highlights how Seabourn has teamed up with Charlie Palmer to add more than 130 dishes to its menus, including an Asian-spiced duck breast and spinach and corn fritters with sautéed bok choy. In 2006 in the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast, we loved being on the back of boat doing "2" and its wonderful tasting menu. The trend is clearly more to quality, not just quantity!!!

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry,

Thanks for the tip. That's one of the three reasons Mrs. Jack and I have chosen Seabourn, the other two being reported service and ship size.

I've seen the selection of cruise foods increase over the years, but become a woefully mediocre (or worse) product, even on the "other" higher end lines (IMHO).

I've eaten food from many parts of the world and am not "picky", but the "hambugers" on deck from one cruise line were from a VERY questionable origin.:eek: Happy Dining.................Jack:cool:

The way to a sailors heart is through the galley. I'm so happy to hear the foodies can look forward to a few future years of food competivness in the cruise industry. Qualkity is definately important to those who travel often Thank You, Seaborne......:)

I love "2", but on my last cruise I heard many negative comments about it.

I'm glad to hear Palmer will be adding more meals to the menu, but it's this old news?? :confused:

many think Palmer is past his sell by date and the ships chefs should be allowed to show their own expertise :cool:

I've eaten food from many parts of the world and am not "picky", but the "hambugers" on deck from one cruise line were from a VERY questionable origin.:eek:

Jack,

I can assure you that the hamburgers and cheeseburgers on Seabourn are probably the best at sea and one of the little surprises for sailing on Seabourn. Why? Because they are made with ground fillet mignon and paired with those thin crispy fries, are a shipboard staple for many passengers.

Towards the end of Last year's Pride March eastbound crossing, the grill item on the lunch menu was a blue cheese Cheeseburger. Since I was a little late due to a late finish of that day's Trivia session, my luncheon companions said they both enjoyed it. I ordered it and when it arrived it was smothered with melted blue cheeese! One bite and I thought I had died and gone to cheeseburger heaven!! :D

If you are a Cheseburger Connoisseur, I know sailors that willl make a standing order for a cheesburger for lunch and charter the chef to please them with his cheeese selections.

Just one of the many pleasures of sailing on Seabourn! :cool:

Paul,

Thanks so much for the reassurance. We do enjoy quality food and a cheeseburger is sometimes necessary for a quick lunch (especially with bleu cheese YUM). But I've always said, I'd rather enjoy one slice of parma ham rather than the whole pig :) .

I'm sure the chefs of Seabourn take pride in the quality and presentation of their product and will strive to please the most discriminating palates.

Sadly, Mrs. Jack and I have found quantity has surpassed quality on some other lines (IMHO). At one buffet luncheon one could concure many of the diners never tasted lobster, but to each his own.

A leisurely lunch is one of my highlights when cruising. Jack

Paul,

Thanks so much for the reassurance. We do enjoy quality food and a cheeseburger is sometimes necessary for a quick lunch (especially with bleu cheese YUM). But I've always said, I'd rather enjoy one slice of parma ham rather than the whole pig :) .

I'm sure the chefs of Seabourn take pride in the quality and presentation of their product and will strive to please the most discriminating palates.

Sadly, Mrs. Jack and I have found quantity has surpassed quality on some other lines (IMHO). At one buffet luncheon one could concure many of the diners never tasted lobster, but to each his own.

A leisurely lunch is one of my highlights when cruising. Jack

many think Palmer is past his sell by date and the ships chefs should be allowed to show their own expertise :cool:

We've only done one cruise in 2006 on Seabourn, but, we have heard this comment about maybe the Charlie Palmer thing has run its course. BUT, his food is good and his "name" is still excellent. Since other higher level boats all have some "NAME BRANDING" with their chef or dining connection, it seems to be a part of the "marketing game". Damned if you do. Certain negatives if you don't. On our sea day, we had a chance to do a kitchen tour and did see all of the "behind the scenes" details for food prep on the ship. Very interesting and well worth it.

The key thing to remember is that, with some advance notice, they'll do other food options or dining combos, even if not on the menu. Be creative. Asking and/or dreaming up new wishes makes it all possible! We found Seabourn to be super wonderful on those requests.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Seabourn really does have the best fries at sea and the waiter advised us the hamburgers are made with the same cuts that are served as steak - not just the leftover, fatty bits.

Lobster can be had for lunch - just give the maitre d'hotel one day's notice. Chef Willy did a lovely presentation of twin tails surrounded by broccoli florets - simple perfection. Another popular "request" item is a sashimi platter - not everyone cares for that, but if you do, it definitely won't disappoint!

johnny

Archived