Dining Room Attire

irishgirl

im hoping we dont look out of place on out cruise a week from today..we are going on a 4day cruise but I dont have a tux or a jacket or anything..

now ill wear a buttondown shirt and a tie with dress pants... Iv never had a reason to buy anything nicer.. me and my fiance are both 21 and never had a need to get a tux or a really nice dress for her.

We will be looked down apon? wearing a button down shirt kikaie dress pants and a die? and my fiance will have dress pants and a very nice top..

josh.

im hoping we dont look out of place on out cruise a week from today..we are going on a 4day cruise but I dont have a tux or a jacket or anything..

now ill wear a buttondown shirt and a tie with dress pants... Iv never had a reason to buy anything nicer.. me and my fiance are both 21 and never had a need to get a tux or a really nice dress for her.

We will be looked down apon? wearing a button down shirt kikaie dress pants and a die? and my fiance will have dress pants and a very nice top..

josh.

That sounds like a pretty decent plan to me. I don't think you will stick out or be looked down upon at all, don't worry about it. Some people on here will tell you that is "not the proper dinner atire", but the reality is, a lot of people will probably be dressing that very same way.

Well, there's the side that follows the dress codes, and then there's the side that thumbs its nose at the dress codes...

The funny thing about these dress code threads lately is the sequence in which they seem to develop. Usually someone asks a question which is then answered without any opinion, just the fact of what the written dress code is. It then proceeds to people complaining about the dress code and those who have answered someone's question. The posters who don't follow the dress code then complain that those answering the questions are intolerent when in fact they are the ones starting the argument. Take a look at the first 15 or so posts on this thread, it was all individuals answering a question without opinion. Perhaps when someone starts deviating from the answers the moderators should pull the posts as being off topic. It just seems that those who complain the most are the ones who are intolerent. I for one could care less what you wear but I will continue to answer a legitimate question asked by a poster. If you misinterpret that, it is your problem.

josh.

I appreciate that you are planning to dress in the best clothes you've got, but IMO, that doesn't even come close to the minimum standard for men (which is a dark suit). I think that you should at least try to add a jacket to the outfit you are proposing. This weekend, check out a thrift store or two. You can often find jackets that would be perfectly servicable for under $10. You may be able to find an actual suit for $30 or so...

Good luck!

The funny thing about these dress code threads lately is the sequence in which they seem to develop. Usually someone asks a question which is then answered without any opinion, just the fact of what the written dress code is. It then proceeds to people complaining about the dress code and those who have answered someone's question. The posters who don't follow the dress code then complain that those answering the questions are intolerent when in fact they are the ones starting the argument. Take a look at the first 15 or so posts on this thread, it was all individuals answering a question without opinion. Perhaps when someone starts deviating from the answers the moderators should pull the posts as being off topic. It just seems that those who complain the most are the ones who are intolerent. I for one could care less what you wear but I will continue to answer a legitimate question asked by a poster. If you misinterpret that, it is your problem.

I never assume that how one post to a dress code thread has anything to do with how they dress on a cruise.

josh.

Josh, you could consider renting a tux from the cruiseline. Nothing to pack and you'll definitely look great for formal night photos. As for your fiance, no woman will ever turn down the opportunity to buy a nice dress! She can always wear it to holiday parties or the like.

I agree that what you are planning to wear is not really appropriate for formal night. That sounds like casual night wear. Even informal nights require a jacket.

I know a few things for sure:

1. I follow the dress codes on board but I don't enjoy it. I would much prefer a cruise where every night is smart casual. (Don't tell me to cruise another line, isn't going to happen)

2. You will never see my husband in a tux or me in a ball gown on a cruise.

3. I don't cruise to make YOUR ambiance better.

4. I don't give a flying flip how others dress. It would be IMPOSSIBLE for how someone dresses to impact on my cruise enjoyment.

5. I cruise to have fun, and I can't help it if my type of fun isn't yours.

6. I'm 56 years old, so I am not of the "new generation" trying to change things...I just prefer not dressing up. It was never my thing...perhaps it's the hippy, flower child coming through. :D

jdwilliams101 - Josh, I'm a proponent of following the "dress code", so I HAVE to tell you that you will be under dressed for formal nite. I encourage you both to consider renting formal wear (yes, they rent for ladies too) from X (since you don't want to buy). You might be surprised at how much more special your nite will be...and how much more romantic!

Having said all that....Josh, you need to know that you won't be "looked down upon". Who's going to look down upon a couple of 21 year olds in love?! Most X cruisers are nice, friendly, fun people, just like YOU! I'm sure you will both have a wonderful experience on your X cruise.

Happy cruising!

Denise

And for me a dress code adds nothing to the cruise.

I would never choose a cruise line based on a dress code.

It adds no value to my cruise.

It's not the reason I cruise.

If your in the dining room in shorts on formal night it means nothing to me.

I will still enjoy my meal.

I will still enjoy my cruise.

Short of punching me in the nose:D nothing you can do will ruin my cruise or spoil my meal.

Sorry.

I really wish I cared more about how all of you dress.

Shipyard - I didn't say I choose my cruises BASED upon the dress codes (and if I did it was a boo boo). I said that dress codes are part of the ambiance of a cruise and ambiance IS one of the factors I use to pick my cruises. If I want formal clothing/service every nite, I won't choose Windjammer. Conversely, if I want to spend all my time barefoot, in shorts, with my hair blowing in the wind, Windjammer sounds just right! If I want to gamble, I won't choose Disney, and so on. Different cruise lines for different desires. I have no intention of limiting myself to just one style of cruise/cruising!

And DON'T be so sure you don't care how others dress or about it taking "a punch in the nose" to ruin your meal. I have two words for you... NEON SPANDEX!!!:eek::D

Happy cruising!

Denise

Wrong.

I follow the dress code but think it's all very silly and not a big deal.

Never assume how one dresses without seeing how they dress.

I didn't assume anything about the way you dress; it's your dismissive attitude that speaks volumes to me.

Well - not quite. On my last cruise I decided that I wanted something else - so I went for the tux pants and a proper dinner jacket.

Oh my - I have never had so many hands groping me.:D

Well - there were also some that confused me with the head waiters - but that is a different story.

My original intent was to get a polyester dinner jacket that I could just throw into a suitcase - but ended up getting a 100s wool jacket. A friend did get the polyester one and it looked pretty good - plus it was wrinkle free.

Much cooler on a hot cruise than a suffocating tux jacket. So how about you put your tux pants in the suitcase and stuff the polyester dinner jacket in there too - voilla no need for a separate garment bag.

1. I follow the dress codes on board but I don't enjoy it. I would much prefer a cruise where every night is smart casual. (Don't tell me to cruise another line, isn't going to happen)

4. I don't give a flying flip how others dress. It would be IMPOSSIBLE for how someone dresses to impact on my cruise enjoyment.

6. I'm 56 years old, so I am not of the "new generation" trying to change things...I just prefer not dressing up. It was never my thing...perhaps it's the hippy, flower child coming through. :D

Love it (kindred spirit) :D :D :D

Thank you for expressing this so much better than I could have!

CatServants: Seeing neon spandex would not ruin my meal at all. I don't allow strangers' fashion choices to have that kind of power over me.

I certainly understand your position and respect it. However, I have to take issue with your comment:

I don't cruise to make YOUR ambiance better

I don't expect anyone to make my cruise better because of what they wear. Conversely, I don't expect them to detract from my experience because of what they wear.

One of the reasons I like X is because of the formal nights at dinner. For better or for worse, the dress policy is what it is, and until it changes, cruisers need to respect it so that everyone can enjoy the ambiance. Not only are there other cruise lines that don't have formal nights, but there are alternative dining choices if you don't wish to partake in the formality. To use the excuse that they don't like dressing up is selfish.

I hope no one takes offense to my statement.

I certainly understand your position and respect it. However, I have to take issue with your comment:

I don't cruise to make YOUR ambiance better

I don't expect anyone to make my cruise better because of what they wear. Conversely, I don't expect them to detract from my experience because of what they wear.

One of the reasons I like X is because of the formal nights at dinner. For better or for worse, the dress policy is what it is, and until it changes, cruisers need to respect it so that everyone can enjoy the ambiance. Not only are there other cruise lines that don't have formal nights, but there are alternative dining choices if you don't wish to partake in the formality. To use the excuse that they don't like dressing up is selfish.

I hope no one takes offense to my statement.

If what I wear impacts your cruise that seems to be your problem, not mine.

And I sure don't cruise to provide "ambiance" for anyone.

I can't for the life of me understand how what anyone else wears can impact my cruise in any way.

What others wear is really none of my business.

If what I wear impacts your cruise that seems to be your problem, not mine.

And I sure don't cruise to provide "ambiance" for anyone.

I can't for the life of me understand how what anyone else wears can impact my cruise in any way.

What others wear is really none of my business.

I will not dispute anything that you have said. However, I was raised to respect and follow the guidelines for what is expected of me regardless of whether it is a party at someone's home, a restaurant, a public affair or a cruise ship. What you wear has no effect on me whatsoever. The fact that some have no respect for stated guidelines does nothing to diminish my experience; it is a reflection on the inappropriately dressed person's lack of respect to the host and to tradition. When tradition changes, so will I.

Archived