Dining Room Attire

irishgirl

I will not dispute anything that you have said. However, I was raised to respect and follow the guidelines for what is expected of me regardless of whether it is a party at someone's home, a restaurant, a public affair or a cruise ship. What you wear has no effect on me whatsoever. The fact that some have no respect for stated guidelines does nothing to diminish my experience; it is a reflection on the inappropriately dressed person's lack of respect to the host and to tradition. When tradition changes, so will I.

So for example: If someone wears a dress shirt with no jacket on "informal" night that shows a total lack of respect to themself and other cruises.

Is that about right?

I will not dispute anything that you have said. However, I was raised to respect and follow the guidelines for what is expected of me regardless of whether it is a party at someone's home, a restaurant, a public affair or a cruise ship. What you wear has no effect on me whatsoever. The fact that some have no respect for stated guidelines does nothing to diminish my experience; it is a reflection on the inappropriately dressed person's lack of respect to the host and to tradition. When tradition changes, so will I.

I couldn’t have said it better and I’ll add based on over 50 evenings dinning on Celebrity the small minority of between 5-10% who chose to ignore the required dress code have little to no impact on my enjoyment of the evening.

However the proper and respectful way of handling this would be to use the alterative dinning options if you don’t agree with the published dress code.

The published wording in the daily to which is the official guide is as follows:

Ship’s Dress Codes

Following are the required modes of attire for evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship…

Also in daily under guest conduct pertaining to dress code:

Guests are expected to respect this sailing tradition for the ambiance of the cruise.

Don’t expect the vast majority who sail on Celebrity who respect this and in large part chose to sail on this line because of this to be in agreement with those that feel differently.

So for example: If someone wears a dress shirt with no jacket on "informal" night that shows a total lack of respect to themself and other cruises.

Is that about right?

Your words, not mine. :) Mine were: "the inappropriately dressed person's lack of respect to the host and to tradition".

But if the shoe fits . . . .

The published wording in the daily to which is the official guide is as follows:

Ship’s Dress Codes

Following are the required modes of attire for evening dress (after 6:00pm nightly) throughout the ship…

Also in daily under guest conduct pertaining to dress code:

Guests are expected to respect this sailing tradition for the ambiance of the cruise.

These are just guidelines, they aren't set in stone. Times change, people change, traditions change.

I think some of you really need to lighten up and quit getting so upset at what people want to wear while on board. You're going to have health problems in the future if you keep letting the little things bother you so.

Most people will "go with the flow" and dress nicely for the dining experience. Maybe not up some people's standards, but it will be acceptable accroding to the ship's guidelines.

Judy <---will dress according to the guidelines given

Your words, not mine. :) Mine were: "the inappropriately dressed person's lack of respect to the host and to tradition".

But if the shoe fits . . . .

A good rule of thumb is to never assume how one dresses by what they post.

The point was do you see no jacket on informal night as a major lack of respect?

The bigger point is I care how I dress.

I don't care a bit how you dress.

Simple as that.

I also don't thing not following the letter of the dress code shows any lack of respect to anyone or anything.

These are just guidelines, they aren't set in stone. Times change, people change, traditions change.

I think some of you really need to lighten up and quit getting so upset at what people want to wear while on board. You're going to have health problems in the future if you keep letting the little things bother you so.

Most people will "go with the flow" and dress nicely for the dining experience. Maybe not up some people's standards, but it will be acceptable accroding to the ship's guidelines.

Judy <---will dress according to the guidelines given

No they are printed on paper and delivered to your stateroom each evening as a guide for the following day. If you read my post you should know that how you or anyone else dress’s doesn’t bother me one bit, I don’t stress over it and it’s not going to ruin my cruise.

However when the wrong information is being posted here “like it’s only a guideline, a suggested, recommended” etc, or the times have changed get with it, then it does bother me. This is because now you are telling me how to dress or act or what I should like.

The wording you quoted is Celebrity’s official wording not mine. If you have written wording from Celebrity to the contrary then please post it and I will be so informed.

No they are printed on paper and delivered to your stateroom each evening as a guide for the following day. If you read my post you should know that how you or anyone else dress’s doesn’t bother me one bit, I don’t stress over it and it’s not going to ruin my cruise.

However when the wrong information is being posted here “like it’s only a guideline, a suggested, recommended” etc, or the times have changed get with it, then it does bother me. This is because now you are telling me how to dress or act or what I should like.

The wording you quoted is Celebrity’s official wording not mine. If you have written wording from Celebrity to the contrary then please post it and I will be so informed.

I think people are talking about how people REALLY dress on a cruise, not what's posted on a website or the boilerplate in the daily paper.

I think people are talking about how people REALLY dress on a cruise, not what's posted on a website or the boilerplate in the daily paper.

Actually, most of us are talking about what's posted on the boilerplate in the daily.

I already said that in a prior post but from the Celebrity and I'll add HAL as well that somewhere between 90-95% follow the guideless as written. Also all my cruises have been in the Caribbean were you would normally expect it to me more relaxed. On my one Carnival sailing it was a different story. That’s why I sail on the lines I chose to.

[quote=KC_fn;13504950.......

CatServants: Seeing neon spandex would not ruin my meal at all. I don't allow strangers' fashion choices to have that kind of power over me.

KC_fn - Ummmm. The "neon spandex" comment I made was in jest. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously.:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

Wow, some of you are like sheep going to slaughter. Do everything you're told without questioning why.

I do not believe in tradition, never have. I always question when told I HAVE to do something, if I agree with the answer, ok. If not, I'll argue my side.

Judy

Whether or not you agree with the dress code, and whether or not it detracts from your cruise is irrelevant. Those points could be argued endlessly on here. If the host (in this case X) requests a certain attire, it should be followed, just as it should be for restaurants, wedding receptions, meetings, conventions, religious services, etc.

There are cruises that people have posted a review where the dress code is indeed enforced. Someone who chooses not to follow the regulations can't blame anyone but themselves if they are denied entry.

To those who think the dress code recommendations are flexible, is there a level of attire they feel is not proper, for example, on a formal night on a cruise?

HAM - EXCELLENT question! Shipyard says "bathing suits" and "shorts". C'mon everyone. Is that REALLY where you think the line should be drawn? How would that even come close to the dress code? I would point out that some ladies bathing suits have skirts. Would that be acceptable on formal nite? How about a bathing suit with a cover-up? Would that be acceptable on formal nite?

Shipyard's right. It IS common sense. I just don't think bathing suits and shorts are where the line should be drawn, and, I would point out, X doesn't think so either. We already know X says "no jeans" after 6pm, but think of how many posters want to debate jeans in the DR, "But my jeans are expensive so they should be acceptable.":rolleyes:

Why is it so difficult to adhere to the spirit of the dress code or else choose the casual alternative dining venue? Why are those posters who ask that question treated as though we're evil and imposing our standards on others? X makes the rules for their cruise line, NOT us evil dress code fanatics!;)

I guess you all know where I think we have to go now, don't you? BIRTHDAY SUITS! Solves the whole problem! And for those of you who don't realize it......I'm joking.;):D

Happy cruising!

Denise

Wow, some of you are like sheep going to slaughter. Do everything you're told without questioning why.

I do not believe in tradition, never have. I always question when told I HAVE to do something, if I agree with the answer, ok. If not, I'll argue my side.

Judy

Sheep, huh?

The guy who owns the ship gets to set the rules. He doesn't need to explain the reason for his rules to me, it's his company and his right. I'm smart. I can figure out the reasons for his rules. If I don't like his rules, I can choose to sail a different cruise line, as is my right. Do you really believe that he should get your personal OK before making the rules? And those of us who say to follow the rules are somehow weak, simple minded sheep? I don't think so. Besides, didn't you write that you WILL be following the dress code?!

You know, I don't recall EVER meeting anyone who didn't question rules/regs. I believe EVERYONE should ask questions and state their side of a debate/discussion. I don't believe that just because someone agrees with the 'establishment' (X in this case) that that person is weak and unable to formulate ideas of his/her own, i.e. "sheep". I believe that name calling and insults are inappropriate and reduce the quality of debate and the value of a discussion.

Denise

Judy

Hmmm, you originally posted what appeared to be a sincere question.

Now, you're calling us barnyard animals for respecting the dress code?

quote:

"I do not believe in tradition, never have."

I think part of what makes us who we are is tradition.

Questioning things is good but I was raised where some traditions

were a part of my upbringing.

I don't think that is such a bad thing...actually I think some

traditions are wonderful..but that is just me.

Different strokes for different folks:)

Since I've managed to push everyone's buttons, I'll quit now. I had so many different opinions here I asked Celebrity for their answer and got it.

I will accept what they said on the e-mail and dress accordingly. If you're on my cruise and I offend you with my choices, I apologize in advance.

Judy

Judy

Wow, now that the people that respect and prefer a more upscale experience and choose to honor our hosts request will be “slaughtered” that says volumes.

What some people that have never set foot onboard a Celebrity ship and have experienced that upscale treatment seem to keep saying is we are wrong, outdated and ready for …”slaughter”. No wonder this debate never seems to end.

OK, here's my take on this issue: If one wants to represent themselves in a less formal manner, so be it. That's what they want. And that's what they look like, and wish to represent themselves. I wonder, if some of these people would do the same thing at home? Going to a nice cocktail party in shorts? I don't think so. It's the "vacation mode...it's mine and I will do as I please". (and never see these people again)!

I myself, tend to be more conservative....ie the black dress with pearls. (and yes, I am a senior citizen).

It does not rfeally bother me at length, but I do feel embarassed for them at times when I see someone in shorts and tee shirt when most everyone else is dressed.

That's it....

Since I've managed to push everyone's buttons, I'll quit now. I had so many different opinions here I asked Celebrity for their answer and got it.

I will accept what they said on the e-mail and dress accordingly. If you're on my cruise and I offend you with my choices, I apologize in advance.

Judy

These thread always push buttons and I read them when I procrastinate for pure entertainment value and to help me realize that it is okay to not sweat the small stuff. :D

I would absolutuly LOVE to know what Celbretiy said....would you share?

I also think that the questions you asked in the first post were reasonable as is what you are planning on packing. Enjoy your cruise.

Ok, explain this to me.

Why is there harassment of men who won't wear the dark suit or Tux and turning the blind eye towards women not wearing cocktail dresses or evening gowns?

Why is it OK for women to flaunt the dress code by wearing pants and not OK for men to wear jacket and tie?

The Celebrity dress code on their web site says Tux or dark suit for men and evening gowns or cocktail dresses for women. Doesn't say anything about the black slacks and beaded "T-shirts" the women "get away with".

Sounds like a double standard to me.

And, for the record, when attending formal evenings on cruises, I wear a cocktail dress and hubby brings a suit, although, <GASP> he once brought a sage green suit in the Med where the temps were close to 100 degrees during the day, and where we were staying on in Athens the following week. Oh my word, what rebels are we? His suit wasn't dark!

Some of you are really over the top about what the men wear and ignore the women's dress.

Trust me, if I was ever on a cruise where my hubby decided to bring just the jacket and tie, and if anyone denied me access to the dining room, I would quietly inform the maitre d' that once he cleared all the women from the room that weren't in cocktail dresses or gowns, then my husband and I would leave.

Gaurantee, that isn't gonna happen. No maitre d' is going to throw women out of the dining room for wearing slacks, and they won't deny us entrance if my hubby decided to wear slacks, jacket and tie.

OK, here's my take on this issue: If one wants to represent themselves in a less formal manner, so be it. That's what they want. And that's what they look like, and wish to represent themselves. I wonder, if some of these people would do the same thing at home? Going to a nice cocktail party in shorts? I don't think so. It's the "vacation mode...it's mine and I will do as I please". (and never see these people again)!

I myself, tend to be more conservative....ie the black dress with pearls. (and yes, I am a senior citizen).

It does not rfeally bother me at length, but I do feel embarassed for them at times when I see someone in shorts and tee shirt when most everyone else is dressed.

That's it....

Who are "these people "?

How many people are really in the dining room in shorts and tee shirts on formal night?

And really it is my vacation and I may be a whole lot less conservative then you are.

But feel free to look down your nose at me.

It won't bother me at all:D

I guess I must be some of "these people ".

Boy, I hope so:)

Archived