New Passport Thread

Merion_Mom

Just a quick question concerning my Passport.

I just went through the documents my TA sent, and it says that some cruise lines keep your passport once you get your seapass. Is this something that RCCL does ?? I do not feel comfortable not having my passport with me.

Thanks

Where are you cruising from and to? If it is to the Caribbean, they won't take your passport.

They won't take your US passport in the Caribbean, but if you are not a US citizen they will hold your passport for the duration of the cruise.

We are seven Canadians who sailed on Freedom at Christmas - Western Caribbean. They did not hold our passports on that sailing. We kept them the whole sail - in our safe - and then took them ashore with us as well.

Years ago on our Caribbean sailings they held our IDs for the whole time - recently they have not.

I have a cruise May 22nd, as I understand it, a passport is not yet needed but highly recommended, I hear early as summer 2008, then definitely not till 09 and alot of people are saying it is officially cancelled, no passport will be needed, ever. Can someone with supreme knowledge of everything please comfort my soul in knowing the answer?

I have a cruise May 22nd, as I understand it, a passport is not yet needed but highly recommended, I hear early as summer 2008, then definitely not till 09 and alot of people are saying it is officially cancelled, no passport will be needed, ever. Can someone with supreme knowledge of everything please comfort my soul in knowing the answer?

I just had to deal with this, as my boyfriend and I booked a cruise last minute (we're leaving 3/13) and he wouldn't have been able to get a passport in time.

From what my TA told me, a passport IS NOT necessary for sea travel at this moment, and won't be until this summer, at the earliest. However, I think they are strongly advising you have one, I think because the US does not have control over what other countries may require you to have when you're in their port.

Our cruise is only going to Key West and Cococay, so I feel okay with him getting off in those ports without a passport. However, had we had ports of call other than in the US and RCI's private island, I would have insisted he expedite a passport to have.

None of the Caribbean ports require a passport for cruise passengers. This whole passport thing is simply for and by the USA! Why pay for something that is not needed and will expire at some point? Just wait until you do need one!

I just had to deal with this, as my boyfriend and I booked a cruise last minute (we're leaving 3/13) and he wouldn't have been able to get a passport in time.

From what my TA told me, a passport IS NOT necessary for sea travel at this moment, and won't be until this summer, at the earliest. However, I think they are strongly advising you have one, I think because the US does not have control over what other countries may require you to have when you're in their port.

Our cruise is only going to Key West and Cococay, so I feel okay with him getting off in those ports without a passport. However, had we had ports of call other than in the US and RCI's private island, I would have insisted he expedite a passport to have.

It's the US which is requiring air passengers (and possibly someday cruise passengers as well) to have a passport for re-entry into the US, NOT the governments of foreign ports in the Caribbean. Certainly, if you were somehow detained in a Caribbean port and missed the ship, you would be required to have a passport to get back into the US. But in reality, if that happened and you had no passport, you would be able to get back in. You'd just have to hassle a little with proving citizenship. So for that reason (to avoid just such a predicament) I think it's worth it to have a passport.

None of the Caribbean ports require a passport for cruise passengers. This whole passport thing is simply for and by the USA! Why pay for something that is not needed and will expire at some point? Just wait until you do need one!

I think one big reason people are encouraging those who like to cruise to get passports is that when/if they are required, they are rumored to be quite a bit more expensive.

It makes sense to go ahead and get one now when they are less and renew 10 years later rather than waiting until they are 100% mandatory and cost much more.

Personally, I am going ahead and getting one (this week actually) for my mid-May cruise. Since they aren't required yet, I am not paying extra to expedite it. However I am hoping our passports will get to us before we leave, just because I don't really want to carry around my birth certificate (we keep those babies in the safe-deposit box!).

Can someone with supreme knowledge of everything please comfort my soul in knowing the answer?
Perhaps this will do;)

1. RCCL is still telling folks for the last half of 2008 they need passports. This is just RCCL, the other cruiselines have updated already. RCCL is still working on it, and until then they are going with the most cautious choice.

2. The government is telling folks they don't need passports for most cruises.

"Cruise Passengers

U.S. and Canadian citizens arriving on cruises from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of identity and citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. View complete list of acceptable documents at CBP.gov."

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/index.shtm

3. The State Dept. issues the passport, even their own website says it is just a summary of information from the DHS site. Since cruisers are a considered a specific population with separate requirements for travel documents, you should be looking at the DHS website for the rules. Look at State for how to get a passport or passcard.

Rules per the US Government as found on DHS.gov

NOW

Air; Need passport

Land; Need BC and DL

Sea; Need BC and DL for RT cruises from the US.

After Full WHTI implementation

(currently scheduled for June 2009 or later; stay tuned for extensions, however)

Air; Passport (same as now)

Land; Need Passport or Passcard or EDL (change from now)

Sea; BC and DL for RT cruises from the US (same as now)

That should do it; if you want links to the actual regulations as published in the Federal Register and CFR, go to the "Passport Clarification Needed" thread, page 10, its a sticky at the top of the "Ask A cruise Question" Forum. But be prepared to sift through 114 pages of government-ese.

I think one of the reason RCCL strongly advises you to have a US passport, is that if you get sick, you can be flown back into the US.

It never hurts to have a passport.... should something unforeseen happen. I had a friend who was on a cruise , experienced a death in the family, left the ship at the next port. he had a tough time (which was already stressful enough) making his plans. Would have been a lot easier just to whip out a passport.

However I am hoping our passports will get to us before we leave, just because I don't really want to carry around my birth certificate (we keep those babies in the safe-deposit box!).

You shouldn't have an issue with not getting it in time. I received mine in 2-3 weeks last January-February. You're also giving yourself plenty of time in order for it to arrive, so I wouldn't worry if I was you :) (though it's tough to not be anxious!)

Thanks for the great replies, I do have my passport, got it last January, have 2 friends coming with us and it's there first cruise, so Im asking on their behalf. thanks for the replies! you guys are great.

I sailed on Carnival in Jan. During debarkation, it seemed if you did not have a passport- you were taken to a different room for questioning. This made the wait very long because they had to pull the customs agent. We had our passports- no problem.

It's the US which is requiring air passengers (and possibly someday cruise passengers as well) to have a passport for re-entry into the US, NOT the governments of foreign ports in the Caribbean. Certainly, if you were somehow detained in a Caribbean port and missed the ship, you would be required to have a passport to get back into the US. But in reality, if that happened and you had no passport, you would be able to get back in. You'd just have to hassle a little with proving citizenship. So for that reason (to avoid just such a predicament) I think it's worth it to have a passport.

Which is exactly why if we were to go someplace OUTSIDE of US/RCI control, I'd prefer to have a passport should something of that nature happen. I'd feel much more comfortable being stuck in Key West without a passport then say, Mexico or Jamaica.

From the DHS:

"Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise."

not really. I had a passport in my maiden name but was sure to include my marriage certificate. Still no passports as of today, and online status check says they are still processing and we requested the 4 to 6 weeks. Today is 4 weeks. I want to call, but the number says only call with in 2 weeks of leaving. We have birth certificates but would rather have the passports.

ok, know that I was obsessing just a tiny bit:D I did the huge no-no and actually called National Passport Service, and she told me they were working on it today, looked like it should be finished and possibly mailed tomm. So it will come with in 5 weeks of sending it out. Still jealous of everyone who got the passports with in 2 weeks:rolleyes: I feel much better know, breathing huge sigh of relief!

Archived