Bad experience on Paul Gauguin

rloeb

Our first RSSC experience was on PG, and we wouldn't have changed a thing. But we had no basis for comparison until we cruised on Voyager -- and we still wouldn't change a thing, even though the two experiences are not easily comparable. PG puts much more emphasis on outdoor activities. If you don't enjoy being in the water, you will miss half the experience. The luxury is good enough. There aren't the shows there are on Voyager -- but we were too tired to have enjoyed them. The food is as good as almost all of the Voyager venues, save Signatures. La Veranda at night comes close. But again, the comparisons are almost pointless.

You also have to remember where you are -- a stay at almost any FP hotel will get you begging to crawl back to the luxury of the PG -- and I include most of the high end BB hotels in that crowd -- just haven't tried the St. Regis yet -- might have to eat those words.

I agree with you 100%. The PG is a very special luxury ship!

Just got back from the PG, tried my best but was just too tired, or too wined to stay up past the shows to go to La Pllette to disturb the folks in 767.

The aft cabins were already on the ship in October 2006 when we were last on the PG. I know this because they took out the circular staircase from La Veranda to the Connoiseur(sp?) Club when they did the last refit and I had a long discussion with Toni the Executive Captain over dinner about it.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. The best person to contact is Gair Oneill (head of customer relations) in Ft Lauderdale who handles the post cruise problems. He gave friends of ours a future cruise credit for a bad experience once. Writing Mark Conroy is probably not going to get anywhere.

• 3 years later...
Also, a putrid odor came from the sink or vents in the bathroom in the cabin. The steward came on several occasions to “cover up” the disgusting odor with an orange scented spray. One night the spray was so powerful we needed to redress and leave the cabin to permit the scent to disperse.

I know this happened quite long ago, but I thought I make a post on this cabin since I stayed in it for our honeymoon in July of 2008. Cabin 767 smelled horrible!!!! It smelled like sewage! Having booked that specific cabin over a year before, I was really upset. The neighbors next to us told us that they ran into the people that had just came off the ship who happened to be in our cabin. They had also said it smelled horrible.

The ship was set to leave at 9pm. I had already called twice regarding the horrible smell in our cabin. They even tried duck taping the vent to the bathroom! Then left us the duct tape in case we wanted to tape the entire bathroom door! When I told Guest Relations that the worker left us the duct tape, they said they shouldn't have done that. If it needs to be tapped to call back.

They couldn't move us to another room because they were all booked. It was 8:30pm and I did something I've never done in my life. I called the relations desk and told them if they couldn't get this fixed then I wanted to disembark and wanted a full refund. I was NOT going to tolerate smelling sewage for 11 nights for the price we paid. It smelled that bad!!! They said they would send someone immediately. And they did - the Chief Engineer, the Head of House Keeping, Assistant House Keeping, Head of Guest Relations, and someone else I don't remember. They were all there lined up in their dress whites in our cabin by 8:45pm. A little intimidated I gave them a full lecture. I told them they knew about this and about the past guests meeting our neighbors. I told them it was inexcusable to let people stay in a room that smelled that bad. I was honestly worried that it could be a health risk breathing it. I said whoever cleans the room must smell it and it was their responsibility to bring it to their attention and it should have been fixed before now. Well, needless to say, they promised they would fix it that night. The last thing they asked is if were serious about disembarking and if we really wanted to disembark. I said if they could fix it, then we would stay.

Well, the Chief Engineer stayed for awhile with a worker. At some point I heard the worker say that he didn't do that. They were talking about the drainage pipe in the shower. Something was done very wrong. The Chief Engineer told his worker that he understood, but it needed to be redone and fixed. It was 1am in the morning - exhausted, I called the front desk and said put us on a cot in the restaurant. I didn't care. We needed sleep and I couldn't sleep with the worker in our room. The problem still wasn't fixed and the room still smelled. Then luckily the worker finished about 10 minutes later. And that was it - no more smell for the rest of the trip. They fixed it. I was so happy!!!

Regent owned the Paul Gauguin at the time. They've since sold it. We did have a wonderful vacation and it was our best cruise ever. The food was wonderful. Everyone knew our name (which may be attributed to either the small number of passengers or us threatening to disembark). We were treated so well. There was never any compensation, and I didn't ask for any. I hope the problem was fixed permanently and never came back. I wouldn't wish that smell on anyone buy my enemy.

We are looking forward to traveling on Regent again in the near future.

I was so happy that we booked so early when the 2012 itineraries came out so we could grab that cabin. Now I am really beginning to rethink my choice. We are not party hardy kind of people since we are in out mid 60's and will be celebrating our 40th Anniversary on the PG. We would probably be hitting the sack about 11 PM.

Now what do we do?

I was so happy that we booked so early when the 2012 itineraries came out so we could grab that cabin. Now I am really beginning to rethink my choice. We are not party hardy kind of people since we are in out mid 60's and will be celebrating our 40th Anniversary on the PG. We would probably be hitting the sack about 11 PM.

Now what do we do?

I have to admit - the only problem we had was with was the smell. And I think it's fixed, because it didn't come back during our cruise. We thought it was a beautiful cabin. The bathroom was so beautiful and large and the wood in room was really nice. We didn't hear any noise from above and probably went to bed no later than 11pm. The AC worked great and the bed was very comfortable.

It is true that the deck is above cabin 767 and the doors from the La Palette Lounge open up onto that deck. Are you going in Dec/Jan time frame? If so that is their rainy season in Tahiti, so there probably won't be to many people out there. We went in July and it hardly rained except for a brief rain one or two days.

At the time we went Regent owned that ship. The group that played in La Palette in the evenings wasn't that disco type of music. So it never got crazy or noisy. Part of it may depend on who is hired for entertainment during your cruise. You may want to ask the types of entertainers they plan to have during your cruise.

I am not concerned about the odor problem because I am sure that has been resolved. I am concerned about the noise factor. I am a light sleeper while my husband could sleep through a earthquake.

Can anyone tell me if the verandah for the cabin has a roof on it or can people on the deck above look over the railing and see onto the verandah?

I know this happened quite long ago, but I thought I make a post on this cabin since I stayed in it for our honeymoon in July of 2008. Cabin 767 smelled horrible!
THIS THREAD IS OVER 3 YEARS OLD! You certainly did have an unfortunate experience in 2008, but much has changed with PG since then. The ship has been refurbished (and will undergo drydock again in Jan 2012), management has changed from Regent to Pacific Beachcomber and customer satisfaction reports are at an all time high. Just saying' ...

I am not concerned about the odor problem because I am sure that has been resolved. I am concerned about the noise factor.
KathyPet, try a search on 767 both here and on the PG Roll Calls. I just did and it returned several pages of more recent posts, thankfully none as unhappy as Suitelive or the OP. There was, however, some mention of periodic noise that you may need to investigate further. I got the impression that 767 is considered a HOT stateroom and folks are happy when they snag it!

I guess I am part of the problem by posting here buy who in their right mind would post to a 3 year old post with another complaint that is also 3 years old. You really have to have a lot of time on your hands to scroll back to a three year old post and then activate it again.

IMHO, while I have been on the ship last year and will be on the cruise in January out of Australia, I did not have that cabin. I have not seen ANY mention of this problem in the past year+. Back in 2008 there there was a different operator. The most recent poster complaining about their 2008 experience also states that the odor issue cleared up during the cruise.

We must have better things to do.

Archived