New England/Canada on CB

thechandlers99

DH and I are looking at doing the New England/Canada itinerary with his parents in October. We have been on the Caribbean Princess before and love her. I know she was originally designed for cruising the caribbean exclusively and thus all of her pools are open. Will it be too cold to sit by the pool on the one sea day? Will they show movies on MUTS at night? What types of activites do they offer on the sea day if it's too chilly? I am 29 and DH is 31. Will we enjoy this cruise? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

October is a funny month in New England. It could be cold and dreary or nice and sunny. Nice and sunny though is not necessarily swim suit weather. I would pose this question on the Ports of Call Board and see if you get any responses. Even if it is not from Princess passengers you can still get a feel for what the weather will be like on deck.

DH and I are looking at doing the New England/Canada itinerary with his parents in October. We have been on the Caribbean Princess before and love her. I know she was originally designed for cruising the caribbean exclusively and thus all of her pools are open. Will it be too cold to sit by the pool on the one sea day? Will they show movies on MUTS at night? What types of activites do they offer on the sea day if it's too chilly? I am 29 and DH is 31. Will we enjoy this cruise? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We did that trip on the Regal Princess. It was definitely not pool weather and we did not have a MUTS. If we did it probably would have required lots of blankets to enjoy MUTS.

Lots of thing are going on during sea days. The normal crafts classes, demonstrations, movies etc. You should have no problem staying busy. It was definitely a worth while trip for us seeing parts of Canada we had never seen and parts of New England my wife had never visited.

We did this itinerary last October on the Crown Princess leaving from NYC. We had one sea day also. When we left NY, it was in the mid-80s. Boy did that change quickly. No we were not able to lay out because it was extremely windy and cold. The entire trip was cold. We have sailed numerous times and we glad that we tried this itinerary but once is enough for us. We will stick with the Caribbean. Our kids attempted to watch MUTS and they were the only ones cuddled under blankets and wearing thick layers of clothing. They enjoyed getting all the milk and cookies to themselves because no one else was out there. That said, we loved the Crown. We have sailed on the Caribbean Princess before and that sold us on Princess. We will sail on her again in April but to the Caribbean.

We did the Canada New England Cruise in September 2007, on the Crown. The weather was lovely, and some days people were using the pool and laying out. Most days though, it was shorts and a t shirt possibly light sweater....

Muts at night was cool, many nights we went up and people were snuggled under the blankets watching whatever was on. The bartenders were not selling a lot of beer and pina colada's though.

All in all I found it to be a great trip, and would definitely do it again, but it is not really a sunbathing type of cruise.

Enjoy!!!

Even if it's warm during the day, it'll be cool / cold at night, particularly going 20+ kts over the water. Once you're north of Cape Cod, you've left the Gulf Stream and water (sea) temperatures will be in the 50s. If it's a sea day, you'll most likely want to be in a protected area because the air will be chilly. Yes, it's possible to have a T-shirts and shorts day but it's more likely that you'll be able to be outdoors but set your expectations that you might need more than summer clothes. After all, it's getting cold in New England by then. After all, that's why there's fall foliage. :)

this cruise can be enjoyable if you keep a few things in mind...

the north atlantic in October can be rough, very rough...we had this experience once... it was not fun....but hopefully rough water doesn't bother you...

chances are, you will need jackets/sweaters...but it can be fun to wrap up in a blanket and sit on the deck or your balcony...

the atmosphere on these cruises tends to be different than a caribbean cruise...not sure exactly why..maybe the temperatures, maybe because there is not the pretty blue water like the caribbean has...

so if you keep these things in mind, you can and will enjoy your cruise....the canada route is a good one..very different, yet interesting sites to see....and the canadians are extremely nice people!! :)

we really enjoyed our 2 trips to Canada-one being in October when the leaves were changing and 1 last June-we still needed jackets and sweaters and too cold to swim...

keep in mind, the pools may not be heated so it will be cold water most likely...Princess uses fresh water so unless they heat it, it will probably be too cold to swim...

of course, there is always a chance we may have an indian summer and it will be nice and warm....but I wouldn't count on it....take jackets and be prepared....

hope I didn't scare you away from what we thought was a very enjoyable cruise!! :)

Marsha

I was on the Crown the last week of this past September. The aft pool was heated, (actually very warm), and it was great. We had good weather, but is was pretty cool in Canada. Most nights we bundled up in blankets and watched MUTS - we had a wonderful time and it was one of our best cruises.

We sailed the Crown Princess Sept. 29 - Oct. 6 last year and the weather was warm for us. We complained we had to buy extra t-shirts. Lots of people using the pool. Only exception was Bar Harbor where a warm front met up with a cool front and kept us fogged out of town.

IMG_1754.jpg.612e8f9386b0422172b21806f3e79be7.jpg

Archived