Bonine/Bonamine - urgent question for those from US

So a bit of a dilemma - there is some sort of "distribution" problem with Bonamine here in Canada (NOBODY has it), and I was wondering if any of you can tell me if it is still available in the US (so I can pick it up while we are in Houston before our cruise).

Any help would be greatly appreciated - we leave Sat morning!

Yes as the previous poster said , it is available all over , also the generic is Meclazine, much cheaper, that is what I get. You usually have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter. Either one works good. Happy Cruising

Cori

I am almost positive that one of the Gravol tablets is just meclizine, which is the same active ingredient as Bonine. Might be worth checking out, rather than running to the pharmacy here!

(I checked Gravol's website and it doesn't list the active ingredients. Perhaps you can call Shoppers or another local Pharmacy and ask them to check?)

Yes as the previous poster said , it is available all over , also the generic is Meclazine, much cheaper, that is what I get. You usually have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter. Either one works good. Happy Cruising

Cori

Meclizine requires an Rx in some states. It is NOT over the counter in Massachusetts.

Bonine is freely available in all pharmacies/CVS/WallMart type stores.

OP seems to be combining two drug names. There is dramamine and there is bonine. Two different compounds.

Canadian Cruising Couple: Where are you from? Our Shopper's Drug Mart in Saskatoon still has a load of it on the shelves, and I also saw it in the pharmacy area of Wal Mart. Have you phoned around to stores like Safeway, Superstore, or Sobey's to see if they have any? Oh, and of course there's always Costco.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Meclizine requires an Rx in some states. It is NOT over the counter in Massachusetts.

Bonine is freely available in all pharmacies/CVS/WallMart type stores.

OP seems to be combining two drug names. There is dramamine and there is bonine. Two different compounds.

I'm confused by your post. Is Bonine Rx or OTC in Mass? Bonine is meclizine. Bonamine is just another brand of meclizine.

I'm confused by your post. Is Bonine Rx or OTC in Mass? Bonine is meclizine. Bonamine is just another brand of meclizine.

I was also confused by their post.

Dramamine is different from Dramamine Less Drowsy. Dramamine Less Drowsy has the active ingredient meclizine, which is the same ingredient in Bonine. Meclizine is available in a generic form.

Can't recall what the ingredient is in Dramamine as I haven't used it in years! Whatever it is, it's like a 24-hour sleeping pill for me.

Bonamine - this is the name for Bonine in Canada.

Both Dramamine and Bonine have the same active ingredient in exactly the same dosage (meclazine). It's all the extra 'stuff' that makes one or the other more or less effective. We always go with the generic meclazine as it is way cheaper than either brand, like $10 for 100 pills.

Funcruiser - not all lines(like Princess) hand out seasick meds, especially if they are selling it in their general merchandise store. it cost about three times what it does on land, so the OP would definitely want to try to get to a Wal Mart or like store.

Charlie

You can also go to the pursers/guest relations and they will give it to you for free.

Happy Sailing!

Bev

But if you do not specify they give you the genric dramanine which makes me sleep for 24 hours straight-they do have the generic bonine-but you have to specify.

In Mississauga, Ontario; I have checked 2 Walmarts and 2 Loblaws and no Bonamine(blue box). Lots of Graval. Will try Shoppers later today. Perhaps I need to get an RX for the Meclazine.

Any experiences with the Graval Ginger tablets-non drowsy?

Just got back from Shopper's Drug Mart and got the last box of Bonamine on the shelf $7.99 for 15 tablets 25mg each. Whew! About $1. more than Walmart. I did ask the pharmacist about the generic Meclazine. At first she looked at me as if I had a third head; but then explained they haven't carried that for about 15 plus years.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. To the poster from Saskatoon - after visiting several stores (Sobeys, Walmart, Shoppers, Safeway, Co-op) I phoned almost every pharmacy in town, and they all told me the same thing - no Bonamine, and no generic meclazine - "distribution" problem.

I will pick some up in Houston! :)

When you arrive in any U.S. port city, if you have come a day pre-cruise you can find it everywhere. Walgreens, RiteAid, most large grocery stores. It is readily available everywhere.

If there were not probably some law against it, I would offer to mail you some. It is very moderate in price.

they are both 25mg

Beats me. I live in MA, have a long time working relationship with my pharmacist and she told me a Rx is needed to purchase meclizine. I never pursued it as I prefer using Tigan as needed. It works best for me. (That also requires an Rx.)

Do you live in MA? Have you purchased meclizine here? Did you have an Rx?

Archived