Would you like to see what Grand Cayman looks like after Ivan?

nrdsb4

I wonder if the entire island is like that or just the south side where it actually hit.

I had no idea it was that bad. Sad for all those folks!

My understanding is the entire island is one big mess. Many of the hotels are going to be closed for a while to repair or rebuild. I feel for all of those that were affected by storm. To me this is one of the best islands in the western Caribbean.

I am sick looking at those pictures, and people are gripping about missing ports, shame on them, your right Tef43!

I don't want to go to the caymans now, I probably will change my cruise date to eastern caribbean now, they will need years to get back what they had, those poor people. I live in Florida so I know what they are up against there, and look at Haiti all those hundreds of people are dead and they are still missing 1000 persons.

I did read that the Caymans want to have tourism back asap as they get alot of money from cruise ship passengers, but I am unsure if I have the heart to even just go there as I love the Caymans, it will be way to sad for me, way to sad......

Princess is donating $50,000 worth of supplies to Grand Cayman and it will be delivered by the Caribbean Princess. All supplies, including generators, food, water, etc. will be hand loaded onto the tenders and taken ashore. They estimate that it will take 6 hours with all the tenders running back and forth to offload all of the supplies. Passengers will not be allowed to go ashore.

My understanding is the entire island is one big mess. Many of the hotels are going to be closed for a while to repair or rebuild. I feel for all of those that were affected by storm. To me this is one of the best islands in the western Caribbean.

The whole island was swamped by the storm surge. I have seen pictures of the insides of some houses where the water mark was at least 6 feet up the wall. Here's a web page that has over 900 photos of the destruction. http://www.davidolson.com/Cayman/nfpicturepro/index.php?cat=0

It is amazing that there was such limited fatalities.

My heart goes out to the people of Grand Cayman!

I'm from Punta Gorda, Florida and we are worse and after Frances and Ivan everyone abandoned us! National Guard , Fema and Red Cross left us and only came back in a minimal fashion!

Those pictures are amazing! Seeing the damage and devistation just breaks my heart! I've been to Grand Cayman three times and I recognize (barely) some of those places in the pics. I'm heartbroken for the islanders. It's such a beautiful, friendly island!

I hope they rebuild and come back strong.

I've been there twice on my cruises and this does not look like the Grand cayman I remember. I hope for all the locals that they can rebuild and cruises can satrt visiting agin to help them get back to before Ivan.

I think one of the things we can do once the port is reopened is to not avoid Grand Cayman because of the damage, but to specifically choose cruises that will visit Grand Cayman so that we can infuse more tourist dollars into their economy. That money will be badly needed to help the island rebound, and to turn our backs on them during their time of need just seems like the wrong thing to do. True, some places on the island may take months or even years to completely be rebuilt, but I'm sure that they will be working as quickly as possible to restore the island and repair the damage.

Good point. We are planning a cruise for next year (October) which was originally scheduled to go there, who knows when ships will actually be able to, but I definately will spend more money there than any place so everyone can get back on their feet. I recognized one place in the pictures, and I just can't believe all the boats were so far inland. It was so beautiful when we were there last year. It made me want to cry to see all that destruction!

I think one of the things we can do once the port is reopened is to not avoid Grand Cayman because of the damage, but to specifically choose cruises that will visit Grand Cayman so that we can infuse more tourist dollars into their economy. That money will be badly needed to help the island rebound, and to turn our backs on them during their time of need just seems like the wrong thing to do. True, some places on the island may take months or even years to completely be rebuilt, but I'm sure that they will be working as quickly as possible to restore the island and repair the damage.

I absolutely agree with you. This island counts on tourism as a large part of their economy. If we avoid the Caymans now, it will be a much longer road to recovery. They need the tourist dollar more now than ever.

Beth

Well you've seen all the threads from people that are gimmie gimmie gimmie. They were inconvenienced because of a missed port or change in intinerary? PLEASE. :mad:

I know Liv...it is disheartening...BUT I'd liketo think that there are just a handful of people that act like that and that most people made the most of their cruise and thanked their lucky stars that their homes and families were safe.....I HOPE that was the case anyway.

Just wanted to add another link:

http://www.photos.yahoo.com/leroywall/

There are 60 photos in this album, many of them places I remember, such as Royal Palms, the Marriott, The Treehouse restaurant, Morrits, The Beach club, etc.

Warning, though. These photos are heartbreaking. I did have trouble with some of them loading. You just have to keep hitting your refresh button.

I'm glad our February cruise is supposed to go to Grand Cayman. I realize that things can always change but if we do stop and get an opportunity to help these people out....great!

The photos that really get me I think are the ones you see where houses, condos, etc. are completely gone - nothing left but the foundation. That just amazes me that a force of nature can be that devastating.

Just looked at the photos on the first link. Horrible destructions!! Never heard/saw many photos on the news of Grand Cayman here in Canada. All the broken metal,wood,sand everywhere-where are they going to put it before they can even think about rebuilding?? They are fortunate not to have multiple deaths like the extremely poor nation of Haiti is now experiencing!! We certainly plan to spend our port time on GC if allowed to in Jan/05!

I agree they need the tourism but what are we suppose to do in the Caymans? Believe me I am sick what it done to my favorite island, but I am paying money and want to enjoy my time on the islands, not be heartbroken and feeling sad on my vacation. The turtle farm is gone, stingray tour may not exist any longer.... the island is destroyed, not nice touring the horrors that those people went through and still will be facing in years....the seven mile beach well thats destroyed, hotels on the beach, etc. They have lots of work to do and I also feel even though they count on tourism why be in their way from rebuilding? I much rather go there when they rebuild and continue vacationing there as I always have. Now us Floridians have to deal with hurricane number 5 Jeanne, getting prepared for her now. When is this going to end????

• 2 weeks later...

It is my understanding from reading around the internet that the Turtle Farm surivived, not sure about the turtles though. Seven Mile beach has been cleaned up and looking good. Both Captain Marvin and Captain Bryan are still holding reservations open for the first week in November. Capt. Bryan reports that the port should be open by then, but again there is no guarantee. The devastation was nearly total, but they are coming back. We'll go to GC when the port and the cruiselines deem it reasonable. Until then, we keep those struggling to recover in our thoughts and prayers.

I read on another posting that Seven Mile Beach had been cleaned up. Also that cruise ships are going to be able to port sometime in November. Has anyone else heard anything about this. After looking at the photos, it is hard to believe. Was there any destruction in the down town are of Georgetown?

As someone who lives in GC posted in another thread on the GC board, the pictures don't quite tell the whole story. There was lots of damage, but many pictures are showing the exact same damage--just from different angles and in different lighting conditions. And most pictures don't show the repairs that are taking place.

GC makes a lot of money off of tourism, and is working very hard and very fast to get things fixed again. They're hoping to be ready by late October / early November. Around Thanksgiving, at the very latest.

Archived