Questions about Victoria/Vancouver Island

itsanita

We are 4 adults planning on taking the car ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay and spending the day (around 10 hours) on the Island the second week of September. I have quite a few questions!!

We spent a half day in Victoria last year and did the touristy things (the museum, Butchart Gardens, Craigdarroch Castle and downtown Victoria) but this time we are looking forward to seeing a little more of Vancouver Island. We plan on visiting Butchart Gardens again, but other than a couple hours there; we are looking for some advice on how to spend the rest of our day. We do want to go to “downtown” Victoria but we are also looking for some scenic drives, local places to eat/drink lunch and dinner, and perhaps someplace other than the Empress for high tea.

I have read about the Scenic Marine Drive along Dallas Road thru Oak Bay and up towards Uplands Park and Cattle Point Lookout. Would this be worth it in September? How long would it take? Any “local” places to eat/drink along the way?

We will be driving from Swartz Bay to Victoria after getting off the ferry (and then back again at the end of our day)…anything interesting along that way? Any place “interesting” to eat in Sidney? The B. Gardens are in Brentwood Bay correct? So we would probably stop there on our way to Victoria? Suggestions on how to schedule our day so we are not doubling back on ourselves would be really helpful.

I would love any other ideas?

Try this link - it seems to cover most of the things that I like to visit when I head over from the mainland for a few days of rest. September is a nice month to visit Victoria - the large crowds are gone and there will be some turning of the colours along those drives.

http://www.victoriabcguide.com/maps-drives.htm

Hope this helps and I am sure that the locals will have some suggestions as well.

Cheers

Dennis

That link that Dennis put up is indeed just fine..

I might make the suggestion that if time permits that you could drive North on Hwy#1 a bit maybe take in a few of the communities along there and experience the Malahat (up and over a bit of a hill :)) Your return to the Ferry could be via Mill Bay ferry which takes you back to Brentwood.

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townID=120

Also in September the salmon should be starting to return to spawn and there is no better place than to view this spectacular wonder of nature than in Goldstream Park:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/goldstre.html

While it states late October there could be some early ones in September - another option particularly if you follow Left Coast BC idea and drive the Malahat is to return to Vancouver via Nanaimo - this is an interesting round trip - I suggest this because by the time you drive back through Victoria traffic you could be almost into Nanaimo.

cheers

Dennis

Try this link - it seems to cover most of the things that I like to visit when I head over from the mainland for a few days of rest. September is a nice month to visit Victoria - the large crowds are gone and there will be some turning of the colours along those drives.

http://www.victoriabcguide.com/maps-drives.htm

Hope this helps and I am sure that the locals will have some suggestions as well.

Cheers

Dennis

I like the idea of going back via Nanaimo ferry. New scenery....Is it a nice drive up the coast from Victoria to Nanaimo?

Dennis, thanks, that's a great web site. I'll spend some time going thru it before asking more questions!!

Still looking for some good places to eat/drink from you locals.

Butchart Gardens has a very nice tea room, which is still a little pricey, but nowhere near the cost of the Empress.

If you're going to follow the Scenic Marine Drive, you could cut back in through Oak Bay and there's a couple of places for tea - the Blethering Place and the White Heather Tea Room, both along Oak Bay Avene. The White Heather is VERY small and reservations are a must, but the Blethering Place is larger and you'd be okay without a reservation. As you drive along Oak Bay Avenue from the water, you'd pass Blethering Place first (on your right) and White Heather is on the left a couple of blocks further along.

If you're in the mood for soft ice cream, just before you get to "Mile 0" (at the end of Douglas Street and before you turn left to follow the Scenic Drive) is the Beacon Drive In - one of the best places in Victoria for soft ice cream - and get it chocolate dipped which is even better.

By the way, the Scenic Drive, IMO, is worth it any time of year. :)

The Dallas Rd. drive is one of my favourites and a must when ever I have the time in Victoria. Have you considered a drive over the Malahat Hwy to Nanaimo then you can come back to Vancouver from Duke Point, just south of Nanaimo or from Departure Bay in Nanaimo. The Departure Bay ferry takes you to Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver and is about a 20 min. drive to downtown Vancouver. The ferry trip is not quite as pretty as the Swartz bay trip but it does save you the hasstle of driving across the Lower Mainland.

You guys are great. I'm trying to follow your suggestions on a map I have.

Would this work without doubling back on ourselves?

We take the ferry from Vancouver to Swartz Bay, go to B. Gardens first. Then drive the Scenic Marine Drive BACKWARDS to downtown Victoria, stopping along the way for lunch/tea.

We hang around Victoria for a little while....

Then we drive to Nanaimo via the Malahat (? can't find that on my map, is that a road?) And take the ferry from there back to Vancouver.

ANOTHER option would be to do all the above, but stay on Vancouver Island over night and take the ferry from Sidney to Anacortes the next morning and then drive from Anacortes to Seattle. What do you think of that idea?

AS I assume you will be driving a rental car consider returning it in Victoria and take the ferry from Victoria to Seattle - goes downtown to downtown

We will be at the end of a 2 week trip to Alaska and will probably have at least 6-7, maybe 8 suitcase between all of us to drag around. So if we left the rental in Victoria, we would have to drag all the luggage on the ferry and then rent another car/van in Seattle.

The Malahat is just a local thing. You would be going North on Highway #1 which takes you up and over the Malahat.

Make sure you think about which ferry you want to get on in Naniamo to come back to the mainland. One returns to North Vancouver (Horseshoe bay) and the other to Tsawwassen. They leave from different docks.

and I just want to add again that it's a lot of stuff you are planning on doing and seeing :)

Maybe a return to the mainland via ferry from Sidney to Anacortes (USA) could put you on a better time frame for border crossing ?

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/transport/details.asp?id=38

so rather than go all the way to Naniamo and across and around you could do a bit of exploring north on Hwy #1 and use the Mill Bay ferry to get you back to Sidney

Here's a link to some info on the Malahat and other sights in the area:

http://www.explorevancouverisland.com/Malahat_Drive_Vancouver_Island_BC.htm

I do agree with the previous poster that it's a long day to do the loop through Nanaimo and that the Sidney - Anacortes ferry run would be a good alternate - but there is only one or two trips a day so you would probably need to stay overnight in the Victoria area.

Keep those questions coming - it gives this retired local something to do finding the answers.

Cheers

Dennis

We will be at the end of a 2 week trip to Alaska and will probably have at least 6-7, maybe 8 suitcase between all of us to drag around. So if we left the rental in Victoria, we would have to drag all the luggage on the ferry and then rent another car/van in Seattle.

Or fly to Seattle? YYJ-SEA is about C$125/ea. By the time you calculate in another day of car, driving it off the island etc etc, you might be close in price

Hello. I live near Mill Bay, take these ferries & drive on these roads regularly ( I have done the crossing by the various routes about 150 times) & I never get tired of the scenery (& I am from Scotland).

You could drive to Butchart Gardens, then on down the main road towards Victoria, taking the Nanaimo turnoff onto Mackenzie Road, but turn east (left) towards the University of Victoria, rather than west for Nanaimo & Royal Roads University. Go east on Mackenzie all the way past the university & straight on to Cadboro Bay & the Gyro Park. It is beautiful there by the bay, with lovely views across to the Olympic Mountains in Washington. You can park there & have a walk by the beach. There is a nice pub for lunch, called The Smugglers Cove Pub (see www.smugglerscovepub.com ).

You are now at the start of the scenic marine drive. Take a side trip to Oak Bay Village centre to have afternoon tea (not high tea!) at the Blethering Place or at the White Heather. Depending on your timing, you could have lunch at the Blethering Place or at the Penny Farthing Pub. The centre of Oak Bay Village is very nice & there is a good Italian bakery/deli which is also a good choice for lunch. Now back to the scenic drive,stop at the viewpoints & have a walk along the waterfront (I have even seen Orcas or 'killer whales' from here). A stop at Beacon Hill Park for a walk would also be wonderful.

Don't miss a stop at the Fisherman's Wharf after you pass the cruise ship dock. It is at the start of the Inner Harbour area & you can take a water taxi around the harbour. It is just a lovely area in which to wander around. A side trip into James Bay with its Victorian houses is another option (more places to eat). Once you get to the city centre, Murchies coffee & tea house on Government St. is an option for the best (but informal) afternoon tea in Victoria.

From here, instead of heading north, you could drive out to Royal Roads University to see historical Hatley Castle (on a par with Craigdarroch & the Empress) & wander round their wonderful gardens (much more to my taste than Butchart). If your time was up, you could cross back to the coast by Mackenzie & make your way back to the Swartz Bay ferry by the scenic coastal road rather than by going back up the main Pat Bay Highway (highway 17).

Do you have time for more? If you head north over the Malahat, stop at the viewpoint at the top for great views over the Saanich Inlet & beyond. The Mill Bay ferry would be the perfect way back but it does not sail late & by this time you will be too late for it. I think that the drive to Nanaimo is nice, but with no time to explore, you will miss the best. The Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay ferry is scenic too, but gets you back to the north of Vancouver, with a long drive around or through the city to go south. The Duke Point ferry goes late (if you want a really long day) & takes you back to Tswwassen but is a longer crossing & is not quite as scenic. I would vote for a return crossing from Victoria to Tswwassen because it is so nice going through the Gulf Islands & if the weather is not good oneway, it may be going the other.

The Anacortes Ferry is a good option if you are going to Seattle, but it is quite a bit more expensive than the BC Ferries which are subsidised.

If you missed out Victoria, you could explore the Cowichan Valley beside Duncan & take a side trip out to Maple Bay & Genoa Bay on the coast, which are beautiful areas, with more nice pubs etc as well.

I hope this is of some help & I am of course only expressing my own opinions & tastes, which may be very different to yours.Do not try to do too much in one day or you may spoil it. Enjoy your trip.

Graham.

Graham (and everyone else),

Thanks so much for the details....that helps a lot. I'm thinking maybe we need to stay overnight in Sidney and catch the early morning ferry to Anacortes. That will be Sunday morning and perhaps easy to go thru customs at that time. And we will have a more leisurly day in Victoria...

Any suggestions for a hotel in Sidney? Or would you have a better place for us to spend the night (but reasonably close to the Anacortes Ferry departure area)

Would we do just as well at the Hatley Castle Gardens as we would at Butchart Gardens?

We have already been to Butchart Gardens, but our traveling compainions have not and we would hate for them to miss the gardens. However, I know that will take a big bite of time out of our day.

The Butchart Gardens could be described as the 'Las Vegas' of the garden world. Hatley is smaller, more low key & subtle. It is the sort of Japanese & European influenced traditional garden that is to be found in the stately homes of Britain. Butchart is to be seen first & then Hatley. They are different. Butchart 'wows' the senses, while Hatley calms the soul.

Graham.

Ok, how does this sound?

We will take the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay ferry from Vancouver (9am) to Swartz Bay (1 ½ hr). Drive to Sidney, check into a hotel and leave luggage.

Drive down 17 to McKenize and go left (east) to Cadboro Bay and the Gyro Park…possible lunch at a pub called Smugglers Cove.

This is the start of the Scenic Marine Drive. Follow it to Victoria.

Walk around Victoria, have tea at Murchies Coffee and tea house or Jones Bay Tea Room.

Then drive out to Haley Castle and gardens.

From there, head back toward Sidney, and do Butchart Gardens.

Drive back to Sidney to our hotel. Have a late dinner.

Sunday morning, take the Sidney – Anacortes Ferry (3 hrs) to Seattle (go thru customs here). Then drive to Seattle.

Ok, here are a couple questions.

We would not want to miss the Tsawwassen ferry..do you think we need reservations? We will be leaving Vancouver on Sept 13th, that’s a Saturday morning. And I know you are Victoria “experts”, but any idea how long it would take to drive from downtown Vancouver to the Tsawwassen Ferry on a Saturday morning?

What about reservations for the trip back…would we need them for the Sidney-Anacortes Ferry on a Sunday morning?

Next question…..Hotel’s or B&B in Sidney? I was looking at a place called Cedarwood? Any suggestions? And we would need suggestions for a nice- reasonably priced local place for dinner in Sidney?

I can’t thank you all enough for your help/opinions.

I think on a Saturday morning, it would be a lot easier driving from Vancouver to the ferry, so probably an hour would be enough. That time of year I think you'd be okay without a reservation even for a Saturday morning as long as you arrive at the terminal by 8 am, but you certainly can't go wrong making a reservation. If you do, you just have to time it to arrive no earlier than one hour and not later than 1/2 hour before sailing (in other words, between 8 am and 8:30 am).

My only other concern is the Anacortes ferry. They don't have their sailing schedule out for that time of year yet, but I think you should be fine. I know they don't run during the winter, but I can't remember when they stop for the season and if they change to a different schedule after the summer. As long as you arrive at least an hour before sailing you should be okay. I remember for my 11 am sailing, I arrived around 9:45 or so. They do have a small snack bar/gift shop in the waiting area.

With respect to the BC Ferry side of the trip, I agree that allowing an hour from Vanocouver should be ok. However as to the reservation, September is still very much a tourist month in BC and I am inclined to recommend the reservation. You have a very busy day planned in Victoria and if you miss your sailing it will really throw a monkey wrench into your plans. I would pay the $15 (that less than $4 per persson) you are on vacation and you wouldn't want it spoiled.

Yes "Do the reservation" in early September.. Same for Anacortes if possible.

In your time frame don't forget that you must be there before the ferry leaves (reservations will specify exactly) and you will be On the ferry for about an Hour and 3/4 :)

I do not know of anything special on the hotel front in Sidney (although I am sure they will exist), but there are some wonderful B&Bs in Victoria, many in lovely old 'heritage' houses. I do not think that you need to be out at Sidney, just on that side of Victoria for convenience. Google B&B in Victoria (Canada!).

Yes, 9 am ferry: on 8.45, off 10.45 & there can be small delays.

Graham.

When you make a reservation on BC Ferries, be aware that you MUST be at the

terminal to claim it at least 30 minutes before sailing or it WILL be cancelled.

They are very strict about this, particularly during peak season.

If you reserve on the Anacortes Washington State Ferries, they will also

have check-in deadlines, since you pre-clear US Immigration before

boarding the ferry in Sidney.

As they will tell you if you are late - "lack of planning on your part does

not constitute an emergency on their part". LOL

There is a Best Western, a Travelodge and a new, independent hotel in

Sidney as well as quite a few good B&B's.

Have a look at http://www.sidneybc.com/

When you make a reservation on BC Ferries, be aware that you MUST be at the

terminal to claim it at least 30 minutes before sailing or it WILL be cancelled.

They are very strict about this, particularly during peak season.

If you reserve on the Anacortes Washington State Ferries, they will also

have check-in deadlines, since you pre-clear US Immigration before

boarding the ferry in Sidney.

As they will tell you if you are late - "lack of planning on your part does

not constitute an emergency on their part". LOL

There is a Best Western, a Travelodge and a new, independent hotel in

Sidney as well as quite a few good B&B's.

Have a look at http://www.sidneybc.com/

Thanks for your suggestions. How about the Cedarwood Inn in Sidney. It seems to be right across the street from the ferry. Very convient for us Sunday morning.

Archived