Is 1st Class worth it on the EuroStar Train?

There's an $866 difference between the standard class seats ($695) and the first class seats ($1561). First class seats are wider and recline and you get a 3-course meal served to you in route to London from Paris. My youngest son who is a bit finicky with food may not eat what they serve. On the other hand, my DH likes to travel in total comfort.

Is it really worth the extra $866 to do first class on this train?

Anyone ever ride it in standard class or first class?

Thanks!

Lady Jag -

We have done both and we certainly prefer 1st class -There is definitely more legroom and comfort. The meal which is served is not bad and you also get champagne, wine &/or soft juices, coffee & tea. You have a choice of two main meals e.g. chicken in wine or a fish dish , as well as starter and dessert.We didn't need to find anywhere to eat when we arrived in Paris as we were quite full. There is also a shorter walk to the 1st class carriages from the platforms - hence quicker if you have luggage to contend with.The 2nd class seats are nearer together , busier and hence noisier and you may have to walk to the buffet counter - sometimes they come round with a trolley buffet service. However, I must admit that is quite a difference in price and of course it is still the same great journey after all.

Marge M.

We have done the London-Paris route in both 1st and 2nd class. However, we were only two so the extra cost of 1st class was not too excessive. The answer to your post depends on your budget. There is nothing wrong with 2nd class but of course 1st class does get you wider seats and the free meal (you can buy food in 2nd class). Personally, for the $866 difference I would probably go 2nd class and spend the money saved on a great Parisian restaurant. The food on Eurostar is Ok, but its really nothing special.

Hank

We always travel first class on the trains when overseas but as Hank has pointed out with a large family it does cost and it is not a really long trip. For $866US, which to us is about $1400Aud, I think I would opt for 2nd class and spend the money on a great restaurant in Paris or a good night out or even put it towards a better hotel than perhaps you have booked.

Jennie

We traveled on the EuroStar last year, Paris to Dover. I asked my husband if he would go 2nd class as 1st was definitely more expensive. I would have opted for 2nd but he voted for 1st class. It was nice to be pampered with food and more comfortable and wider seats. I walked through to the 2nd class cars during the ride and was happy my husband out-voted me. We just checked off the expense of 1st class to being part of the trip. We do the same with prices whenever we go to Europe. I look at the menu and gasp, my husband says just think of it as U.S. $$. His mind set really helps!

Sandy

Lady Jag: We took an early morning Eurostar in 2nd class/tourist and it was fine. We had lots of room, didn't feel crowded and felt the extra $$ for 1st class wasn't necessary for such a short trip.

Must agree with "Aussie Girl" in spending the extra for upgraded restaurants and hotels. On past trips, we have stayed at the Paris Hilton with a view of the Eiffel Tower. It has been a convenient and enjoyable location for us.

Hope this helps. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip.:)

I really appreciate the information and first-hand experiences everyone, thank you! Still trying to decide which way to go. Haven't asked DH because I KNOW what he'd say (1st class ofcourse!). I'll see if I can come up with the extra $ and then once I do, I'll have to weigh what is more important - first class or extra spending money.

Jules - How did your kids like the food on the EuroStar? Did they end up going to the snack car for snacks?

Thanks again!

Just a thought from a native!!

Due to a recent track improvement, the journey times on Eurostar have recently been cut and London to Paris is now just over 21/2 hours.IMHO the extra cost of first class is not jusified for such a relatively short trip.Parisian food is way way better than anything on the train and I would always spend my money there. Sure, the seats in first are naturally better but you do get a reserved seat in economy and they are perfectly OK.To really save, you could also get supplies at Waterloo or Gare du Nord before boarding as both have plenty of catering outlets. Of course if money is no object.......

My kids are teenagers and they quite enjoyed the meal. I will say that I don't think that the difference between first and second class was anywhere near $866, even for 4 of us (we also left out of Ashford rather than London). Are you doing this trip post-cruise? Good luck with your decision!

No, Jules. We were, but changed plans to do a land-tour because of DH's vacation time. We're flying to Paris, staying for 3 days and then taking the EuroStar to London for 5 days.

Yes, the difference in price really is that much with 2 adults and 2 teens from Gare du Nord to London. Amazing, isn't it?

Still deciding....

Hi Lady Jag,

We did the Eurostar in May from Paris to London in Second Class and were perfectly content, as I recall the seats were slightly larger then regular airplane seats and there were footrests that came down from the seat in front of you. Hubby and I are both tall and truely did not feel cramped. We bought food at the terminal from Paul's bakery and took it on the train with us. Just thought I'd add my two cents since you haven't received too many comments saying save your money. Have a great time whatever you choose.

Tammy

Thank you for the other side of the coin, Tammy. I appreciate it! Guess it all boils down to whether I can come up with the extra cash for 1st class, and then once I do, whether it seems worth it to me or whether I'd rather spend the money on something else. Maybe I'll bring up the topic to DH, but I already know what he'll say. Thanks again for the input. At least I know we could 'survive' standard class if we have to. BTW - Paul's Bakery sounds delicious!

We were on the crossing from London to Paris and had first class as seniors over 60 get a better rate. The meal, such as it was, was breakfast at noon, the service was lousy and the washroom, don't even go there!

Save your money. You can put up with 2nd class for a few hours for that much of a difference.

Johanna7 - Thanks. I know my sons would be happier with food from the snack bar that they could pick out themselves. One of the reasons I was contemplating 1st class is because I thought it would be cleaner (we're all kinda picky about cleanliness), but if the bathrooms aren't cleaner than 2nd class and the food & service aren't that great, maybe we can put up with the narrower seats in 2nd class. ???

Hi Everyone,

We did the Euro Star, Paris to London, back in 1995. We ordered standard but when we arrived at Nord station early, found we could board the train that was leaving next and as it turned out we were put in 1st class at no extra cost. It was us, 2 couples, and one other man who slept the whole trip. Needless to say we had personal attention. It was sweet. The bathroom was super clean but I was not use to the international code of operation. Didn't know what meant flush and what meant out. Long story short....heard a knocking on the door with, "Madam are you alright?" Guess I pressed too many buttons. I still chuckle when I think about it.

I did walk into other cars and saw they were comfortable also. I guessed the perks of 1st class was super service. mems

Lady Jag:

The bathroom, just one only for the whole car, no mens or ladies, was enough to gag a moose.

As for the meal at lunchtime, it was an omelet with a very large mushroom on top. Not exactly what a teenager wants to eat.

As for the wine, it was the worst ever. I put the top back on my small bottle and DH had it later in the hotel mixed with a can of ginger ale. Undrinkable by itself.

As it is so quick, only 2-1/2 hours now, it isn't worth even paying $50 more.

I've done both classes a number of times. 1st class isn't really...there is another pampered class above that. 1st class is just a notch above coach. I don't recall that there is even a separate pre-boarding lounge or security check. Stop and buy a great French sandwich, buy a bottle of good wine at the shop in the departure area, and save your money. There is also a passable restaurant in Gare du Nord if you prefer to dine before boarding.

However, be sure you check out discounted rates. Few people actually pay rack rate.

Archived