Swollen feet/ankles

WinnieinWA

My last cruise I flew From Seattle to Miami with a stopover in Chicago. 10 years ago this would not have been a problem for me.......I've aged a bit!

My last flight ..12/08/07.....my ankles blew up like Orville Reddenbacker popcorn! OMG.. not only was it painful but I could not fit into any of my shoes! My luggage arrived just fine but I could not fit into my shoes and ended up wearing my DD's CROCKS under my evening slack suit.

I'm leaving on Sunday for a solo cruise and I'm wondering if anyone has been booted out of the dining room for wearing thong type shoes because their feet are swollen?

I'm talking major swollen............... any advise?

Thanks

Winnie

All I can say is to drink LOTS of water. I was always told that the pressurization in air cabins caused that swelling, but it's the sodium in the food that causes the swelling when you're sailing (or eating in restaurants every night for that matter).

I drink a good 64 ounces of water (plain water) on the ship and don't have a lot of swelling, plus I come home with less weight gain! :D

Hi Winnie: In answer to your question about wearing flip-flops in the dining room - yes, it's ok. It's all I wear on a cruise - casual, dressy and formal, they come in all varieties. I wouldn't wear the rubber flip-flops in the dining room but it's ok to wear the dressier ones.

Have fun on your cruise! It's better than being here in WA, eh?

Sandy in Seattle

It's probably the humidity--there was a thread about this earlier somewhere!

Aside from compression stockings, I don't know what else may help. I'm not into diuretics, but a doctor may be able to tell if taking a water pill might be beneficial.

There is another thread (that was right next to yours) entitled "water retention, swollen legs & feet". Did you do a search? There's also a quite long thread from last year that had some tips for this problem. A lot of us suffer from this; & there were some beauty related products that were recommended on there.

There are some really pretty dressy flip-flop type sandals. One of my ankles is weak, and hurts and swells sometimes. I've worn my dressy flip-flops in the dining room no problem!

There are also so many stretchy-material beautiful ballet flats around now, you might try those.

:)

Crocs are great for swollen feet. I don't think you'll have a problem in the dining room....people will understand that some people have medical issues.

You may want to get a pair of one of the more fancy Crocs in black just so you don't stand out too much (http://www.crocs.com) .

Also, take potassium supplements and fiber supplements. Both will help your body get rid of excess fluids.

Take potassium supplements and fiber supplements (available in any drugs store). They will help regulate fuild in the body to bring down swelling.

Also, be sure to walk frequently. Wear crocs for comfort. (You might want to look at some of the nicer Crocs to wear inside or in the dining room).

Crocs are great for swollen feet. I don't think you'll have a problem in the dining room....people will understand that some people have medical issues.

You may want to get a pair of one of the more fancy Crocs in black just so you don't stand out too much (www.crocs.com) .

Also, take potassium supplements and fiber supplements. Both will help your body get rid of excess fluids.

Ehfl,

Great tip with the crocs, the black ones would be perfect for dining room and anywhere else when you need a touch of "dressy" without giving up comfort for the pain of swollen feet/ankles.I think I'll get two pair black and then black/white.

Neverthought

I bring over the counter duiretics...they work for me..

i had the same problem for years

I lost my ankles as soon as I went on Vacation...not now:D

Do you mind telling me what it is you get and what brand .. since I am in Canada as well I would like to try this;)

Thank you all so very much! I did find that CROCKS has some really cute shoes that will allow for "swelling". I've ordered several pair for my next cruise. For this one I bought some cute thongs that will work if I can't fit into my evening shoes. I wear dressy slacks so it won't be too noticable.

I did find the other thread about this subject after I started mine and yes...I did do a search but it kept timing out.

Thanks again for all yoru great suggestions and ideas.

Winnie <-----> off to pack for tomorrows crruise.

Archived