All things OASIS OF THE SEAS (formerly was: All Things Genesis)

mrcruzer

can't even start a Friday countdown yet:( but we are 1 Friday closer to sailaway~

LOL good one Michael..

yep you will be able to get soft serve. I know Princess does not have it but they do on Freedom class so hoping it will continue on Genesis.

Hope this isnt too off topic, I didnt read through; but Im eagerly awaiting project Genesis to be named.

I was just at the site for the contest to name the Genesis project ship. No name yet but like the previous poster stated closing day is today to submit a potential name. The will name one finalist per week until the winner is announced on May 31/08

Now my thought is they already know the name or at least a couple of good ideas of names they want to call the ship and will just search out the submissions that match.

Thanks Emmy:)

I'd love to see a "lazy river" on Genesis, sorta me stealing the idea from the leaked Carnival/Fincantieri video on youtube.

I think a lazy river would be fantastic-it'd be awesome to float around in a tube all afternoon in the Caribbean:cool:

I REALLY hope that in the "boardwalk" at the aft end of the promenade, there is glass elevators spanning many many decks overlooking the wake and stern of the ship. I love the exterior glass elevators!;)

I am thinking the same. Maybe in 20 or 30 years.

:D

After saying that I saw a press release today where Azamara has some really nice itineraries to Europe that will involve overnight stays. That is something that I would like to see RCI do with some of their Caribbean stops. Even late night departures would be good.

That is something that I would like to see RCI do with some of their Caribbean stops. Even late night departures would be good.

The Majesty of the Seas four day itinerary is currently staying in Nassau until midnight. That will change this spring when it will start leaving at 6:00. Not sure the reason for the change but we don't agree with it. We were able to stay at Atlantis all day and didn't return to the ship until 11:00 in December.

I'd love to have the ships depart at night allowing for more time in port.

however think of the flip side: there are few things in this world that compare to the scenery when sailing away at sunset from a tropical island.

I'm not sure where I heard it, but the subject involved cruise ship's anchoring or tendering in a particular port, the longer the time, obvioulsy the greater the cost.

With most cruise excursions being a daylight activity, perhaps they try to maximize the amount of sunlight available. Several excursions have 3 or more start times that overlap by 1/2 or 1 hour intervals. The thought being the more sunlight the more excursions? With 5400 passengers it might be an effecient means for more people to be able to expereince these excursions, not to mention the additional revenue generated. Although a night time dive, or a night time tour of a port would be beautiful.

As for initial deployment, I think it's safe to say she'll be sailing the "norm" itinerary?

Eastern Caribbean 7 night itinerary:

Ft. Lauderdale

At Sea

At sea

San Juan

St. Thomas

At sea

Labadee

Ft. Lauderdale

Western Caribbean 7 night itinerary:

Ft Lauderdale

At Sea

Labadee

Falmouth Harbour, Jamaica

Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Cozumel, Mexico

At Sea

Ft. Lauderdale

That's my guess as to possible itineraries for Genesis. I've never sailed the Caribbean so I'm happy with anything, although I'd prefer the Eastern Caribbean as I've heard it's nicer. :confused:

I REALLY hope it does Eastern/Western Alternating, because I really want to think about a back to back cruise.

Is there any other ports that could be stepping up to be ready for it as well?

I'd love to visit St. Maarten. I am crossing my fingers for four ports of call on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

Just a side note, was doing the calculations for the construction time of FOS and discovered it took 19 months from keel laying to Christening. Based on this timeline, Genesis' keel was laid on January 11, 2008, predicting a christening date of approx. July 2009. Now, I realize this is based on how long it took to build freedom and Genesis is a totally new class and design, but I find it hard to believe it would take 3-4 extra months, at the efficient rates the shipyards work on. (Because we've been told an expected delivery in Fall 09)

I wonder what could be the reason?

P.s. im totally sorry for randomly spitting out every thought in my head. I'm just so excited for Genesis already and it's still over 1.5 years away!:p

I'd love to visit St. Maarten. I am crossing my fingers for four ports of call on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary.

Just a side note, was doing the calculations for the construction time of FOS and discovered it took 19 months from keel laying to Christening. Based on this timeline, Genesis' keel was laid on January 11, 2008, predicting a christening date of approx. July 2009. Now, I realize this is based on how long it took to build freedom and Genesis is a totally new class and design, but I find it hard to believe it would take 3-4 extra months, at the efficient rates the shipyards work on. (Because we've been told an expected delivery in Fall 09)

I wonder what could be the reason?

P.s. im totally sorry for randomly spitting out every thought in my head. I'm just so excited for Genesis already and it's still over 1.5 years away!:p

I would think later than july or august. If it's in the summer, then we won't do the inaugural. We prefer not to cruise in the summer for numerous reasons.

We live on the beach and enjoy being home in the summer.

See that's what puzzles me. It must be later than the summer because of the nature and size of the ship compared to FOS, but I'm baffled as to why it'd take 3-4 months more when Aker Yards is such an efficient shipbuilder.

RCI had said it was to debut in Fall '09, so why I calculated it to be completed in the summer I don't know.:confused:

Eastern Caribbean would be my favorite itinerary as well.

Emmy~

I think that was the itinerary when we met you and Rick on the Sapphire? St. Thomas we met the cab driver with the gold teeth, and went to that incredible beach that we had all to ourselves!

I hope it's towards the end of the year..we are booking our first Alaska Cruise for June 2009, and our money tree doesn't grow that fast:D

The Majesty of the Seas four day itinerary is currently staying in Nassau until midnight. That will change this spring when it will start leaving at 6:00. Not sure the reason for the change but we don't agree with it. We were able to stay at Atlantis all day and didn't return to the ship until 11:00 in December.

I saw that they changed the times. Doesn't make sense to me. I liked staying there late with the midnight sail away after the deck party.

I'd love to have the ships depart at night allowing for more time in port.

however think of the flip side: there are few things in this world that compare to the scenery when sailing away at sunset from a tropical island.

I too like the sail aways. One of my favorite times when cruising but I would still like a couple of ports with some late departure times.:)

My guess is that St Maarten will be in there somewhere as I am sure I read where they are expanding their pier as well

The new pier is under construction in St. Maarten. If you catch a Princess ship docked in just the right location at St. Maarten, you can see the new pier on their web cam. It will be located just off of the current pier and will hold two Genesis class ships.

Eastern Caribbean would be my favorite itinerary as well.

Emmy~

I think that was the itinerary when we met you and Rick on the Sapphire? St. Thomas we met the cab driver with the gold teeth, and went to that incredible beach that we had all to ourselves!

I remember Michael.. but it was on Caribbean Princess we did the eastern itinerary. The taxi driver with all the gold had a taxi with the name "Puff Daddy' on the front. The name of that wonderful beach was on St. John Cinnamon Bay

I like eastern as well and personally St Maarten is my fav. Glad to hear about the pier..I guess I did not imagine that a new one in St Maarten is being built.

Thanks Emmy:)

I'd love to see a "lazy river" on Genesis, sorta me stealing the idea from the leaked Carnival/Fincantieri video on youtube.

I think a lazy river would be fantastic-it'd be awesome to float around in a tube all afternoon in the Caribbean:cool:

I REALLY hope that in the "boardwalk" at the aft end of the promenade, there is glass elevators spanning many many decks overlooking the wake and stern of the ship. I love the exterior glass elevators!;)

The Freedom Class's H20 Zone has a lazy river though it's only a small ring. Genesis's H2O Zone most likely will have a larger one.

Archived