Pre-Paid Tipping - Choice?

Jakdgr

I have read previous posts on tipping so understand what is necessary/required etc (thank you all for informative advice). My question relates to pre-paid tipping choice.

On my invoice from my TA, for my forthcoming RCCL cruise, they have added US$204.75 for "pre-paid tips" (DH, DD & me). I have no issues with tipping/amount whatsoever but as I was never asked if I wanted to pre-pay by my TA, I'm somewhat bemused. For those of you who have sailed heaps on RCCL, can you let me know if you ever got given an option on this matter (and if you are Australian, whether it is different here)?

On RCCL website, it states:

"Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.con_bulletgray_ico.gifAdded to your onboard SeaPass account.con_bulletgray_ico.gifPaid in cash at the end of the cruise"

The second part of my question relates to how do cabin stewards etc know we've prepaid? I would hate it if my cabin steward/dining steward thought I hadn't left a tip when I have pre-paid amount. :( (I know that I need to tip separately bar staff and tour operators etc.)

Look forward to hearing any knowledge on this.;)

Jo

I have read previous posts on tipping so understand what is necessary/required etc (thank you all for informative advice). My question relates to pre-paid tipping choice.

On my invoice from my TA, for my forthcoming RCCL cruise, they have added US$204.75 for "pre-paid tips" (DH, DD & me). I have no issues with tipping/amount whatsoever but as I was never asked if I wanted to pre-pay by my TA, I'm somewhat bemused. For those of you who have sailed heaps on RCCL, can you let me know if you ever got given an option on this matter (and if you are Australian, whether it is different here)?

On RCCL website, it states:

"Gratuities may be paid in the following ways:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPre paid by having them added to your reservation by your booking agent.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifAdded to your onboard SeaPass account.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifPaid in cash at the end of the cruise"

The second part of my question relates to how do cabin stewards etc know we've prepaid? I would hate it if my cabin steward/dining steward thought I hadn't left a tip when I have pre-paid amount. :( (I know that I need to tip separately bar staff and tour operators etc.)

Look forward to hearing any knowledge on this.;)

Jo

I have no idea how RC handles this with Australian bookings. I know that in the U.K., most if not all bookings require pre-paid gratuities. I know that in the U.S., it is purely optional. Many people do this to have more of their cruise paid up front, before they sail.

I generally tip in cash. My general gut feeling is that workers prefer this, but I think that my gut is telling me that if *I* had those jobs, I would want cash! I'm sure that they are happy to get paid any way that a passenger would like to pay. :)

Your waiters and cabin steward ARE told which passengers have pre-paid. They will know that you are not stiffing them.

On the final night of your cruise, you *should* be given envelopes and vouchers. You are supposed to put the vouchers in the envelopes - which have names on them: "for my waiter", "for my assistant waiter", "for my cabin attendant", "for my headwaiter". You are then supposed to hand the envelope to the appropriate person. You may also add cash, if you believe that you have received even BETTER service than you had expected.

It is a choice to pay like that, but for booking made through non US agents and for non US travelers (no sure about Canadians though) the default is to have them added. I know this is the case for UK, the rest of Europe and Australasia.

In the UK we do have the choice, but as it is the default to include them a lot of TAs do not give the option, and the RCCL site itself automatically includes it.

The second part of my question relates to how do cabin stewards etc know we've prepaid? I would hate it if my cabin steward/dining steward thought I hadn't left a tip when I have pre-paid amount.

I had this exact question. And it works just as Merion_Mom says.

You'll get the envelopes with vouchers indicating that you've prepaid the tips (btw, they will get the tip whether you give them the voucher or not). The vouchers go in the envelopes, along with any additional cash tip you wish to make, and are then given to the crew member. I also wrote a little note on the front of the envelope for a couple of the crew who made our trip extra-special.

In terms of actual distribution of the envelopes, here's how we handled it: For our cabin attendant, we left the envelope propped on the bed when we went to dinner on the last night, knowing that she'd get it when she came to make up our room. For dining staff, I tucked the envelopes into my bag when we went to dinner; as after-dinner coffee was being served, I handed the envelope to each person with a big smile and a heart-felt "Thank you" (and got a hug in return from our waiter, who was simply fantastic all week).

I'd be interested to hear how others handle this ritual.

I've booked a RCL cruise from Australia (departing Miami Oct '08) and requested NOT to have the tips included. There was no problem with this. I've also checked that I can add the tipping component at any time prior to departure so for now I'm waiting for my cash flow to improve and for the best exchange rate !

As a rule I have the tips added to my onboard account. In the past I was able to change the amount of the tips, but on my last cruise on the VOS that was not available. It might be just the number of pax. It seemed many things took longer on that cruise. Maybe not enough staff to get the job done. All the admin things seemed to be a day late. Does anyone know if this not being able to change amounts is a new policy? I may have to go back to putting money in the envelopes. I don't think I would want to pre-pay tips. I want to decide. When the service is above the norm we give a larger tip.

As a rule I have the tips added to my onboard account. In the past I was able to change the amount of the tips, but on my last cruise on the VOS that was not available. It might be just the number of pax. It seemed many things took longer on that cruise. Maybe not enough staff to get the job done. All the admin things seemed to be a day late. Does anyone know if this not being able to change amounts is a new policy? I may have to go back to putting money in the envelopes. I don't think I would want to pre-pay tips. I want to decide. When the service is above the norm we give a larger tip.

With Royal Caribbean, I have NEVER heard or read or experienced that you could alter the tip amounts when you have prepaid the tips. It is my understanding that you can either let the prepaid tips go through or remove all of them entirely. For example, you can't remove just a particular person's tip or alter the amount (up or down) of any or all tips.

But you can still pre-pay the standard tips AND then opt to give a larger tip on the last night by way of cash.

I don't believe that RCI's pre-paid tipping system has ever allowed for guests to adjust the tip amounts (up or down) that are contained in the tipping guidelines. You have always been able to add money to the individual envelopes for service that was significantly better than expected, but you could not go to the guest services desk and adjust any of the amounts. If you are concerned that you might receive less than satisfactory service from your room steward or dining room staff, do not have the tips automatically added to your account, and tip each person in cash in the amounts you feel appropriate. In more than forty five cruises on several cruise lines we have never had service so poor as to require a downward adjustment of the tips.:)

If you choose to pay in cash rather than add them to your account, with the envelopes do they provide the suggested amount in a breakdown that tells what amount goes to each person?

I believe that they do, but if not, you can find the suggested amounts in their cruise brochures. Brochures can be found near the Loyalty Ambassador's desk. :)

If you choose to pay in cash rather than add them to your account, with the envelopes do they provide the suggested amount in a breakdown that tells what amount goes to each person?

They tell the per day amount but not the total amount. If you plan on tipping in cash, visit this site www.cruisetip.tpkeller.com It automatically calculates how much you pay to each person - and the types of bills you will need. Just input the number of people and number of nights of your cruise.

I don't remember ever having the choice to down the tip amount if one does the tipping to the SeaPass card. It seems to me that it states on the form that you have to pay all the suggeted amounts to do the SeaPass. I would guess that pre-pay does the same.

For the poster who said that things took longer than usual so he/she wanted to reduce the tips. IMO that doesn't seem fair. If as you said, there isn't enough help, why penalize those who are doing the best they can?

I think with all the gripes etc. about tipping, that RCI will soon go to the service charge where the $10 a day or whatever amount, will not be able to be reduced. Then, just see how many complaints there are. I think for now we have it good with RCI, and we usually tip more, but there are those who will find a reason to not tip or tip less. Usually, they have spent their money on other things and who cares about the crew that they won't see again??????

JMO. I know this wasn't the topic, and I am sorry.

They tell the per day amount but not the total amount. If you plan on tipping in cash, visit this site www.cruisetip.tpkeller.com It automatically calculates how much you pay to each person - and the types of bills you will need. Just input the number of people and number of nights of your cruise.

Thanks for the info and the link. Thank you to Negc as well for your information. :) We have only cruised on Carnival before and had our tips added to our account but I still haven't decided which method to use on our upcoming trip.

for the advice and comments from all - much appreciated.

Merion - thanks for describing process, feel much better now:)

Kcfn - appreciate you outlining how you give the vouchers on last evening - some good ideas for us to potentially adopt.

Mum2one - lets keep hoping that fx A:US$ rate holds up for us when we travel.:p

Jo

We've been very fortunate with the service on our past 6 cruises. We don't prepay and give what we feel to each person specified. We give the suggested amount of course, plus usually extra for our room steward and head waiter. Like mentioned below, we do this usually the last night on board. We only had one instance in all our cruises where the room steward was really bad and she didn't get the gratuity and we did complain to customer relations and they said there was no problem. We fortunately booked our cruise in October on a one day special last fall and it included our gratuities - so we just will put the voucher in the envelope and anything extra to those who gave outstanding service. If you prepay them and you have terrible service, you can go to customer relations and they will credit your sea pass account with the prepaid amount. Hope this helps

It is not that I would lower the tip amount, just change the percentages. Sometimes you never see your head waiter, and sometimes they are great. I don't know why, I guess it is an individual thing. If I never see the head waiter until the last day just to get his tip I kind of feel I should give his tip to the waiter who has been around the entire cruise. I have never done this, but I thought I had this choise before. I have never been on a cruise that I have not put extra money in the envolopes for some of the crew. I also tip during the cruise for those extras above and beyond. I don't have a problem with tipping I just like choises in where my tips go.

Archived