Trek or Float??

tutuwahineLV

Hi ya'll,

I'm looking for some expert input :D and know that I can count on someone here having great advice.

I'm trying to decide on my shore excursion in Juneau and am torn between the Mendenhall glacier river float Trip, or the Mendenhall Glacier : Guides choice adveture hike.

Has anyone done either (or both) ?? and which would you reccommend?

Thanks for your help.

D

I am one who doesn't recommend the float trip. So so at best, and money better spent elsewhere in my opinion.

As for the trek. What is the description?? Frankly, there is excellent hiking on well marked trails at Mendenhall FOR FREE. I can see no reason to have a guide. Especially if it's a shorter hike that will only go as fast as the slowest person and not very far. A very informative easy trail that you can print out a guidesheet is about 1/2 mile- Trail of Time. You may want to call ahead, when the season starts and find out if there are still ranger programs to consider?? In the past they offered some nice informative free programs, some short hiking, flora identification etc. Then you could get the schedule ahead perhaps and plan your time there? http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html

There is a well recommended independent company that does the extensive West Loop hiking to the glacier which involves more challenge and time- several hours, if that is what you may be considering??

Another easy self hiking area, is Mt Roberts, again very well marked trails.

Thanks Queen,

The hike I'm looking at is a guided 3 1/2 hour trek. actual trek is chosen by guide day of....depending on weather conditions, etc. Supposed to be past and beyond the mendenhall lake and glacier. Somewhere between 4 and 6 miles.

I don't get away from my 'concrete jungle' as much as I'd like and that is why I'm trying to decide between the float or the walk.

I appreciate your input.

My family did the Medenhall Canoe excursion and loved it. It was raining that day and everyone had a bad attitude about going, but they gave us all rain gear and we stayed very warm. You get up as close as possible to the glacier. The visitor center is pretty far away. We touched the ice that broke off of the glacier and is floating by and had glacier popsicles.

We canoed over to an amazing waterfall, got out of the canoe and had snacks. The other family in our canoe would not paddle, so we got a pretty good workout. Went to the Salmon bake after that, starving,

Thanks dm...

that is exactly why I'm considering the float trip. I have looked at the canoe one as well. I want to get closer to the glacier than the visitors center.

I'm afraid if I choose the hike, the weather will not cooperate and we'll end up hike somewhere than along the glacier.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are the best

Thanks dm...

that is exactly why I'm considering the float trip. I have looked at the canoe one as well. I want to get closer to the glacier than the visitors center.

I'm afraid if I choose the hike, the weather will not cooperate and we'll end up hike somewhere than along the glacier.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are the best

For clairfication, the float trip gets NOWHERE near the glacier. At most, you have a very brief distant view. Rest of trip is on the river, looking at trees and backyards. If your priority is for close up glacier looks, the float trip is not the choice to make.

For further clairfication, with hiking, unless you are committing to the West loop trail, of several hours, you are NOT going to get near Mendenhall. And actually the Photo Point trail, is your closest view unless you walk along the lake. The East Loop does have one closer high view, but overall, way too dense of foliage and trees for any viewing of the glacier.

The canoe trips are the only option if you want a closer view. Some ships also run kayaks excursions.

Thanks Queen,

We're going to be in Juneau on the 29 of april. I know that is very early in the 'season'. Is it too early? will the lake be clear enough for the canoe trip?

I may just forgo the ship excursion, and take the tram up the mt and explore up there.

Thanks Queen,

We're going to be in Juneau on the 29 of april. I know that is very early in the 'season'. Is it too early? will the lake be clear enough for the canoe trip?

I may just forgo the ship excursion, and take the tram up the mt and explore up there.

You are going to be too early for a lot with some not open. Carcross will still be boarded up. :) White Pass snow bound with 10 foot snow banks, out of Skagway. Mt. Roberts will be snow covered, you won't be getting too far with any "hiking".

I've gone in this timeframe, it was worth it for my free trip, wouldn't have really paid much for it. :) If glacier Bay is on the itinerary, you will have good viewing, but completely forget Tracy Arm getting within sight of any glaciers. Hubbard will have vieiwng, but may be miles away. Be certain to have a good pair of binoculars.

• 1 month later...

Archived