weather on ship

When we were on Serenade I usually wore long pants and a long sleeve shirt at night but that was mostly because it is pretty cool inside the ship with the air conditioning. Outside it is almost always warm and humid at night. It is especially noticable leaving the airconditioning and going outside.

There are times when it can be incredibly windy. I can remember instances having trouble walking against the wind!

While I've never been actually COLD on a ship in the spring, it is windy! (Sometimes, when the ship is hauling a**, the wind can blow at about 40 knots!)

I seldom walk the open decks at night--it messes up my hair! On your balcony, if you don't stand right at the railing, it won't be too bad!

In the Caribbean, it's warm all the time--and humid! It is the tropics, after all!

While I've never been actually COLD on a ship in the spring, it is windy! (Sometimes, when the ship is hauling a**, the wind can blow at about 40 knots!)

I seldom walk the open decks at night--it messes up my hair! On your balcony, if you don't stand right at the railing, it won't be too bad!

In the Caribbean, it's warm all the time--and humid! It is the tropics, after all!

BRING IT ON!!!! :p

We are going on serenade in March. This is our first cruise, so I apologize if this is a stupid question, but what is the weather like on the ship, particularly if we are walking around at night in the areas that are not enclosed?

Hi,

most of the places that you / ship will be sailing to ( on your cruise) got the highs in the 83/86 range and the lows in the 71 /75 range ( in March) ..... so at the sea it might be few degrees cooler ...... but if the ship is moving at about 30 miles an hour and if there is some wind that is blowing at the ship at let say 10 or 15 miles per hour ..... so that would be about the same if you were standing in your car on a seat ( hopefully someone else is doing the driving at about 45 miles per hour speed) and you had most of your body out of the car through the sun roof ..... at the temp. of 70 deg F - it might feel pretty cold.

Wes

and, from experience....i would suggest not wearing a dress or skirt if you plan on walking outside at night!!!!

Enjoy your trip!

Beverly

That is definitely a consideration...not for us guys though...:D

When it is very windy and the waves are up, getting too close to the side can leave you wet from sea spray...which is salt water so it gets sticky as well. So in rough seas with high winds stay away from the railing on the lower decks unless you can wash whatever you are wearing.

When working as crew on a boat, the worst were the surprise waves that came over the railing taking a dry crew member and making them as wet as the fish in the sea. Happened to me a couple of times in the Atlantic, and once in a Hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico.

In the Hurricane we had 3-5 feet of water on our back deck at times, definitely did not stay dry. But that is nothing to worry about on a big cruise ship...if you have 3-5 feet of water on any deck you are on, perhaps it is time to head to the life boat...:D

Enjoy your cruise...it will be a lot of fun even if the wind does get cool at night.

Archived